Current info, entry to Thailand, fully vaccinated post Nov. 1, CoE req'd?

notrub

29 09 2021

I know this is an early ask but...  If the 'opening of Thailand' occurs Nov. 1st does that mean a person could arrive at Suvarnabumi Airport from France with recent negative test results for covid (not infected) and proof of vaccinations (only), then just walk out to the carpark, get in their car and drive home to Buriram?  Will a Certificate of Entry be req'd into the far distant future?   

Thanks.

• Haha 1

I really hope for that possibility.

But they said about 10 provinces, touristy one, not  the whole country.

It would be same as already in many countries around the world.

Some believe that COE will stay. Because it's free it's not that bothering and can be done easily.

The difference being that thailand is still a fraction of what the most advanced vax countries have already done.

Now, after being vaxed with 2 shots I am not afraid to get infected. That changed completely my thinking.  A timely infection in a few months would act as a booster, would not have a large impact of my and my family health

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

No details yet but I’ll make a guess.  As mentioned above, on November 1 only certain provinces will be open so I think that it will be similar to the current situation with the Phuket sandbox.  
Stay in an approved hotel for 7-14 days and take several Covid tests before being able to move around the country.
If the still require Covid insurance then I think a COE will be required.  As more of Thailand opens up and more people are interested in coming I think the COE will be a bottleneck.  The Thai consulates are probably not staffed to handle a large number of applications.

with all of the other decisions over the past year or so, the final details won’t be approved until the last week of October.  Too many people need to review and approve which leads to changes and additions to the rules.

2 hours ago, statman78 said:

No details yet but I’ll make a guess.  As mentioned above, on November 1 only certain provinces will be open so I think that it will be similar to the current situation with the Phuket sandbox.  
Stay in an approved hotel for 7-14 days and take several Covid tests before being able to move around the country.
If the still require Covid insurance then I think a COE will be required.  As more of Thailand opens up and more people are interested in coming I think the COE will be a bottleneck.  The Thai consulates are probably not staffed to handle a large number of applications.

with all of the other decisions over the past year or so, the final details won’t be approved until the last week of October.  Too many people need to review and approve which leads to changes and additions to the rules.

Indeed, that's the general trend. The OP question echoes similar questions (including my own) 1 or 2 days earlier, see Thailand to scrap quarantine for vaccinated visitors from Nov 1 - Page 10 - Thailand News - ASEAN NOW - News, Travel & Forum

Like the OP, I'm interested in flying to BKK  and connecting to a flight going up country, all that without too much hassle, being fully vaccinated. Meaning : no quarantine and a minimal number of PCR tests required (I hate them, and that's not just the costs). Bottom line is, it seems "Thailand opening and scrapping quarantine on 1st November" is one of those recurrent exaggerations, typical of the Thai way of handling things (words count at least as much as deeds - it's powder in the eyes...).

As for Thailand consulates, my personal experience is that some are absolutely not staffed sufficiently and only give vague and confusing advice. Consulate pages on the web are often way out of date and give different information from one to another. Again, typical.

How long does it take for clear and unambiguous decisions to be taken? Rather a long time. Thai way of managing a situation : form committees and sub-committees etc.

Edited by gejohesch
forgot sthg
  • Like 1

Thank you gejohesch

Here is a partial copy of instructions kindly PM'd me regards CoE from a fellow forum contributor who has gone through the process 2 or 3 times.  It gets easier, he said.  

My understanding is that if you, for any reason, do not arrive on the flight noted in your application, it becomes void and must be re-applied for.  

His Notes:  START

Documents required: 

1)    Colour Scan of Passport ID Page

2)    Copy of Marriage Certificate

3)    Colour Scan of Insurance Document which states you are insured to US$100,000 in the event of complications due to Covid-19

4)    Copy of SHABA Plus Booking Certificate (it has to be Plus, not just SHA)

5)    Copy of RETURN Flight Booking / Confirmation (return if visa exempt arrival) – Flights need to be ‘direct to Phuket’ (i.e. Qatar Airways / Emirates etc) – I’m not certain about transit options through Bangkok with Thai Airways (but I think they are the only airline which is permitting Sandbox transit passengers in Bangkok).

6)    Copy of PSAS PCR test booking

Securing Documents: 

1)    Hotel Bookings – Book the hotel (can be booked via Agoda etc) – the hotel may require the Agoda booking receipt (if they do, e-mail agoda for their specific receipt of payment < [email protected] >.

2)    The Hotel will E-mail the SHABA Hotel Booking Certificate which is required for the PCR Booking.

3)    Next Step: PCR Booking Web page: https://www.thailandpsas.com .

4)    Register and log in, submit the SHABA number (from the hotel SHABA certificate).

5)    Register flight arrival (there will be PCR test on arrival).

6)    Register PCR test on Day 6 (Nearest to Rawai is Kata Centre).

7)    Register PCR test on Day 12.

????    Pay online for the 3x PCR tests (about 8000 baht I think).

9)    Download the PSAS PCR Booking receipt (this will need to be submitted with the CoE application).

Process: 

1)    Log onto the following Website  https://coethailand.mfa.go.th

2)    First Page: 

-       Country you are flying from: i.e. UK / France etc

-       Embassy Selection – Select your local Embassy in the country from which you are applying (i.e. London / Paris)

-       Types of Permitted Persons: 3 - Spouse  

-       Entering – Sandbox.

-       Which Sandbox – Phuket.

3)    Next page: No need to add name of agent etc: 

4)    Sign in with Name / Passport # etc.

5)    Contact details outside of Thailand (home address etc).

6)    Contact details inside Thailand (address of Wife etc & number).

7)    Contact Person in case of Emergency (Wife etc).

????    Vaccine Info: You will need your Vaccine certificate 

-       Thai issued vaccine certificate (if issued in Thailand)

-       Overseas vaccine certificate (if issued overseas)

9)    Attach documents:

-       Passport ID Page 

-       Extension of Stay Permission (scan of page)

-       Insurance  Certificate (see examples) 

-       Marriage Certificate

NOTE: (after drag and drop you have to click the upload icon on each image)

10) Attachments for further consideration (can leave this blank).

11) Submit all the info: 

12) You will receive an e-mail from the Thai Embassy informing you that your application for CoE has been confirmed, you will be given a 6 digit pin.

13) You will next receive an e-mail from the Thai Embassy, informing that you your application for CoE has been Pre-approved.

14) Log in to the Website  https://coethailand.mfa.go.th – upload travel Data section,  use your PIN to log in.

15) Upload your Flight Details.

16) Input your reference number from the SHABA certificate (the accommodating will automatically come up).

17) Upload the PSAS PCR booking receipt.

18) If necessary upload insurance certificate (again – I didn’t need to do this). 

19) IF all is correct you will next receive an e-mail from the Thai Embassy informing that you your application for CoE has been approved – your CoE will be attached to that e-mail.

20) Arrival in Phuket – have  Smart Phone (charged) / download Mor Chana app 

END: Thank you R.

Whoever describes this as a simple process that will not deter visitors to Thailand is living in a different reality (and has never had to personally fill in these sorts of applications).  

I live here so I have not googled the number of countries with sandy beaches, fine weather and responsible covid control systems in place.  I imagine there are quire a few.

On 9/29/2021 at 4:09 AM, internationalism said:

I really hope for that possibility.

But they said about 10 provinces, touristy one, not  the whole country.

It would be same as already in many countries around the world.

Some believe that COE will stay. Because it's free it's not that bothering and can be done easily.

The difference being that thailand is still a fraction of what the most advanced vax countries have already done.

Now, after being vaxed with 2 shots I am not afraid to get infected. That changed completely my thinking.  A timely infection in a few months would act as a booster, would not have a large impact of my and my family health

You better read the data from Israel prior to doing something like that. 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, notrub said:

Thank you gejohesch

Here is a partial copy of instructions kindly PM'd me regards CoE from a fellow forum contributor who has gone through the process 2 or 3 times.  It gets easier, he said.  

My understanding is that if you, for any reason, do not arrive on the flight noted in your application, it becomes void and must be re-applied for.  

His Notes:  START

Documents required: 

1)    Colour Scan of Passport ID Page

2)    Copy of Marriage Certificate

3)    Colour Scan of Insurance Document which states you are insured to US$100,000 in the event of complications due to Covid-19

4)    Copy of SHABA Plus Booking Certificate (it has to be Plus, not just SHA)

5)    Copy of RETURN Flight Booking / Confirmation (return if visa exempt arrival) – Flights need to be ‘direct to Phuket’ (i.e. Qatar Airways / Emirates etc) – I’m not certain about transit options through Bangkok with Thai Airways (but I think they are the only airline which is permitting Sandbox transit passengers in Bangkok).

6)    Copy of PSAS PCR test booking

Securing Documents: 

1)    Hotel Bookings – Book the hotel (can be booked via Agoda etc) – the hotel may require the Agoda booking receipt (if they do, e-mail agoda for their specific receipt of payment < [email protected] >.

2)    The Hotel will E-mail the SHABA Hotel Booking Certificate which is required for the PCR Booking.

3)    Next Step: PCR Booking Web page: https://www.thailandpsas.com .

4)    Register and log in, submit the SHABA number (from the hotel SHABA certificate).

5)    Register flight arrival (there will be PCR test on arrival).

6)    Register PCR test on Day 6 (Nearest to Rawai is Kata Centre).

7)    Register PCR test on Day 12.

????    Pay online for the 3x PCR tests (about 8000 baht I think).

9)    Download the PSAS PCR Booking receipt (this will need to be submitted with the CoE application).

Process: 

1)    Log onto the following Website  https://coethailand.mfa.go.th

2)    First Page: 

-       Country you are flying from: i.e. UK / France etc

-       Embassy Selection – Select your local Embassy in the country from which you are applying (i.e. London / Paris)

-       Types of Permitted Persons: 3 - Spouse  

-       Entering – Sandbox.

-       Which Sandbox – Phuket.

3)    Next page: No need to add name of agent etc: 

4)    Sign in with Name / Passport # etc.

5)    Contact details outside of Thailand (home address etc).

6)    Contact details inside Thailand (address of Wife etc & number).

7)    Contact Person in case of Emergency (Wife etc).

????    Vaccine Info: You will need your Vaccine certificate 

-       Thai issued vaccine certificate (if issued in Thailand)

-       Overseas vaccine certificate (if issued overseas)

9)    Attach documents:

-       Passport ID Page 

-       Extension of Stay Permission (scan of page)

-       Insurance  Certificate (see examples) 

-       Marriage Certificate

NOTE: (after drag and drop you have to click the upload icon on each image)

10) Attachments for further consideration (can leave this blank).

11) Submit all the info: 

12) You will receive an e-mail from the Thai Embassy informing you that your application for CoE has been confirmed, you will be given a 6 digit pin.

13) You will next receive an e-mail from the Thai Embassy, informing that you your application for CoE has been Pre-approved.

14) Log in to the Website  https://coethailand.mfa.go.th – upload travel Data section,  use your PIN to log in.

15) Upload your Flight Details.

16) Input your reference number from the SHABA certificate (the accommodating will automatically come up).

17) Upload the PSAS PCR booking receipt.

18) If necessary upload insurance certificate (again – I didn’t need to do this). 

19) IF all is correct you will next receive an e-mail from the Thai Embassy informing that you your application for CoE has been approved – your CoE will be attached to that e-mail.

20) Arrival in Phuket – have  Smart Phone (charged) / download Mor Chana app 

END: Thank you R.

Whoever describes this as a simple process that will not deter visitors to Thailand is living in a different reality (and has never had to personally fill in these sorts of applications).  

I live here so I have not googled the number of countries with sandy beaches, fine weather and responsible covid control systems in place.  I imagine there are quire a few.

Unless you need to come to Thailand, (like returning residents), no one is going to go through this onerous performance to visit as a tourist. I'm not sure whether TAT knows this, or they have simply written 2021/22 high season off.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 11:25 PM, notrub said:

dear member 999999,  Take another look at my post just above and tell me again that getting a CoE is 'not that bothering".

It's not your attitude towards the COE that concerns me but your thinking that getting a Covid infection would serve as an effective booster.

The COE is here to stay as long as vaccination status is relevant.

Dear 9999999999999  If a Certificate Of Entry were a useful tool in the fight to defeat covid I would support it 100%.  But it is not.  There are plenty of ways to determine if a person has been vaccinated and if, in spite of that, they had contracted the disease.  As to keeping track of who is in the country and where have they gone, there are systems in place that do not involve applying for a CoE, Thai Style.  It would be nice to attract tourists for the wealthy hotel owners but it would be nice if someone in authority gave a thought to helping legal  residents return home to their registered addresses.  Why is it an essential part of the CoE to have paid, in advance, for hotel and multiple covid tests?  Covid in Thailand is being spread by Thais freely travelling wherever they wish to, not from some tourist coming from a country with a high % of people vaccinated.  A tourist is more likely to contract covid here, not the other way around.  Sandbox is a failure and they are trying to patch it up whilst saving face for making such bad decisions and blunders in the first place. 

If Thailand does open up to tourism on November 1st it is certain the COE system will promptly collapse under the stain of mass arrivals.

Opening up and maintaining the controls put in place at the hight of the pandemic are incompatible.

That’s not to say the efforts will not be made to keep the COE as it collapses.