Where To Go?

mark henry

Hi All

My Wife and i will be going to Thailand for a holiday and to visit her family but as this will be our 7th holiday there we want to go and visit one of Thailands neighbours for a few days, Laos, Vietnam or Cambodia. We are restarained by finances so it needs to be cheap to get to and cheap to stay.

We no nothing of these countries so are hoping you can help us with your opinions and ideas. The Wife likes shopping! mostly but in her usual non committal way says she can go anywhere i like! I like active holidays as opposed to sitting on the beach so i'm up for most things i have'nt tried before plus i love beautiful scenery, Temples and so on.

What i do know/heard about these places are; You can fire an AK47 in Vietnam, Laos countryside is beautiful and unspoilt but not a lot to do and Cambodias got Ankor Watt. All of which appeal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

For shopping and many things to see, Vietnam would be the obvious choice...though I also love going to Malaysia. How long do you want to stay? Do you want to do inland travel in the respective country? If there's time, going with AirAsia to Hanoi, taking the train down to Hue and then Saigon, then Bangkok Airways back to Thailand would be a very diverse and interesting experience.

For shopping and many things to see, Vietnam would be the obvious choice...

Yep. But Cambodia isn't bad, either, especially if one sticks to the usual routes: PP, Siem Reap. So for me, I would do Cambodia. Example: go to Siem Reap. Go to Angkor together (and you will probably need three days for that), then split. Let the wife do shopping in town and husband goes on the lake (Tonle Sap). I don't know whether they have guided bird-watching tours in the rainy season, but it is definitely worth going to one or two of the floating villages. The birds are worth it (I am not a bird-watcher, but still impressed) and so is getting to know the very strange fishing gear people use. There are also possibilities for eco-tourism on the lake; ask in the hotels. PP: trip to the past: Tuol Sleng, killing fields, FCC (husband), more shopping (wife) and for the whole family a trip on a cyclo.

maybe it depends on what mood you are in.if you're looking for a laid back feel,& want to be left alone more,then laos is a good choice.not to much different than thailand people wise.

laos for me is a place to chill out amongst the mountain scenery.the main area of vientienne wasnt that pretty a couple of months ago due to a large amount of road works.

in vietnam you can pick up a bus ticket from saigon or hanoi,that will take you the length of the country,stopping where you wish along the way.i went a few years ago & was supprised at how organised it was.

if you like mountainess scenery,then sapa in northern vietnam was great.

ankor is one of the wonders of the world for a reason though ,& i would say a must see of the area.

Thanks for your replies very helpful. I quess i should mention that we are in Thailand for three weeks, some of which time we'll need to spend with Leks family in BKK, so maybe a week in Cambodia/Laos or Vietnam. From what you've all said i reakon i can count out Laos, not enough to do for me. The wife fancies Vietnam, i think because theres more shopping and food opportunities! I would love to see Angkor Watt.

Can i ask which is the easiest to get to and by what means? Also do i/we need visa for Vietnam/Cambodia?

Thanks again.

Mark

Can i ask which is the easiest to get to and by what means? Also do i/we need visa for Vietnam/Cambodia?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Vietnam: depends on where you start, Hanoi or Ho-Chi-Minh

Cambodia: I would go directly from Bkk to Siem Reap, from there by boat over the Great Lake to Phnom Penh, then by plane from PP back to Bangkok. Don't worry, there is plenty to do for shopaholics in Cambodia.

Cambodia has visa upon arrival. If I remember correctly it costs 20 USD for a month and you pay directly at the airport where they also stamp your passport. Efficient and painless, also in Siem Reap.

A word of caution: bus travel from Siem Reap to PP is a bit, ehhhm, entertaining.... Would not recommend it (Except you want to stop halfway to buy some fried Tarantulas). But the boat ride is GREAT and comfortable (they have big steamers going).

BTW, there are also steamers from PP to Ho-Chi-Minh, just in case you want to combine.

Cheers

Thanks for your replies very helpful. I quess i should mention that we are in Thailand for three weeks, some of which time we'll need to spend with Leks family in BKK, so maybe a week in Cambodia/Laos or Vietnam. From what you've all said i reakon i can count out Laos, not enough to do for me. The wife fancies Vietnam, i think because theres more shopping and food opportunities! I would love to see Angkor Watt.

Thanks again.

Mark

JR Texas: I would avoid Laos and take a flight from BKK to PP (driving there can be a horrendous experience during the wet season or any season). PP has a few nice hotels along the waterfront (sorry do not remember names but one is, I think, River Star Hotel (about 25 US per night).....nicer hotels are there but prices go way up (good hamburgers and French crepes in PP)......also has a Mexican food place and a good museum and also tours (obviously a depressing experience) to see what happened during the "Killing Fields."

From PP you can either take a boat to Siem Riep (Angkor Wat) or a bus or rent a van....up to you and how much money you want to spend. Angkor Wat is fantastic.........need at least two days to see it all (can be extremely hot....the downside). I think it cost about 50 US dollars per person per day if you go with a driver.

Siem Riep has many good hotels.......again, names escape me. My advice is to get one with a pool because after walking around the ruins all day you will be hot and tired. Maybe you can get a good room for about 30 US dollars.

Sihanoukville is also a nice place to visit in Cambodia.........quiet place on the ocean.......town is a bit run down but it is a place to chill out a few days.

Vietnam..........no idea.........the visa will be costly to enter and does not sound like you have enough time.

I think it cost about 50 US dollars per person per day if you go with a driver.

I just dug out my Angkor pass: a three-day pass costs 40 USD and we had a driver, too (Ramauk - that is a kind of tuctuc, but only KIND OF; looks more like a sofa dragged by a motorcycle).

Entry for Cambodians is free; actually my child who looks Asian with black hair and big black eyes got in for free, no questions asked.

Oh, you should have passport photographs ready for the pass.

Maybe you can get a good room for about 30 US dollars.

Definitely. Easy!!! Got one for 8 USD, but then without pool.

Good luck

imo if you do cross into cambodia by road at poipet it may be better to arrange transport in thailand,taking you all the way to siam reap,as frankly poipet doesnt inspire great thoughts of cambodia.i walked across the border a few years back & the minibus that i got from poipet to siam reap was cr#p,& crowds of people gather round to carry your stuff.i would also get a visa before you go,to avoid any possible slight complications :o ,easily available in thailand.

i would check out flights on air asia etc,if you a not a tightwad traveller like i was.

the street food in vietnam was dissapointing,but when we went to nicer places it was really good.

i got a 3 day pass for angkor,& that was about right.

What i do know/heard about these places are; You can fire an AK47 in Vietnam, Laos countryside is beautiful and unspoilt but not a lot to do and Cambodias got Ankor Watt. All of which appeal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

You can fire just about every well known weapon in Cambodia from a makarov pistol to an anti-aircraft gun, hand & rocket propelled grenades.

Easy to spend US$500 very quickly at the shooting ranges. Whisky is usually free but live targets (chickens & turkeys) cost extra.

Lots of fun..

Soundman.

Again thanks guys loads of useful info, i'll print it off and take it with me. It would seem from what your all saying that Cambodia is the best bet given our time/money restraints. It also sounds like Angkor Watt is well worth the visit (+ i can get to fire a gun in Cambodia!)

Cambodia has always been nearer the top of my list of places to visit mainly as some years ago a read the book "The Killing Feilds" which had a lasting impression on me.

Cheers