Are larger types of mangoes grown in Thailand?

fondue zoo

I regularly eat at least four types of mangoes in Thailand.

My wife's home province is fairly well known as the source of the best mangoes in Thailand.

There's one type especially good for eating with sticky rice and coconut sauce.

There's another type that is eaten while it is hard and green with a sugar/chili flakes mixture.

Another species is eaten while it is still green but the flesh is more orange colored than most.  It has a stronger flavor than most mangoes and is also less sweet.

Around Chiang Mai they grow a couple of varieties that my wife doesn't care for so I can't give any description.

I've heard the Thai names for the different species but cannot recall them.

There are many mango varieties of mango available in Thailand. The supermarket in Central Festival Mall carried at least a dozen or so last time I went there. The typical ripe mango is a different variety to the green mangos commonly eaten in Thailand. The largest variety of mango is R2E2 and is also available in Thailand although I consider it not to be the best eating variety.

27 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

There are many mango varieties of mango available in Thailand. The supermarket in Central Festival Mall carried at least a dozen or so last time I went there. The typical ripe mango is a different variety to the green mangos commonly eaten in Thailand. The largest variety of mango is R2E2 and is also available in Thailand although I consider it not to be the best eating variety.

Agreed, I grow R2E2 (developed in Aust) largest so far is a bit over 2 Kg - but not the best tasting .

To the OP, there are over 200 types grown in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MambaJamba said:

Do they taste better than thai yellow mangoes?

the green mangos that most eat hard, I leave them for a week or 2, the green skin starts to go black. there then solf and so much nicer to eat than the yellow ones..  The green ones are very cheap.

oddly when a Thai has the green ones the inside is very pale, the same ones left on the table for a while are soft and orange inside.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

What is judged to be the tastiest (sweet) mango in Thailand?

Years back I liked the small ones.  At the Land Development Department office we had several good trees.  Don't know the name but they were great.  I used to fight the red leaf roller ants to climb up there and get them.  I ate the mangoes.  An elderly co-worker ate the ant eggs.

Not sure what we have at the house now.

image.png.c58dfb802f9f62cf20044815360c5d0d.png

6 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

What is judged to be the tastiest (sweet) mango in Thailand?

My wife is originally from a small town in Chaochengsao where they host an annual mango festival.  She and the rest of her small town claim to grow the best mangoes in Thailand.

When she gets up I'll ask her the name of the species they say is best to serve with the sticky rice and coconut sauce.  In my experience that species is the sweetest.

• 1 month later...