Thai Birds

geoffphuket

That made you look :o

This small bird flew into our patio window the other day with quite a thud. Fortunately It wasn't hurt in any way and quickly recovered after I picked it up and sat it on nearby branch.

It's very similar to another that did the same thing a few months back. Question is, are they the same family, they both look very similar but one has a longer beak than the other and different coloured feathers on its head.

geoffphuket

post-30543-1180876533_thumb.jpg

post-30543-1180876587_thumb.jpg

I believe the first photo is a"Olive backed sunbird" , or a "little spider hunter" google it with pics and see what you think :D

The other one is a "common tailor bird".

looked it up in book "field guide to the birds of thailand by Craig Robson" no expert here !

ps nope I thought of real birds with wings when I read ur posting :o

Edited by brianinbangkok

I've seen how big snakes can hypnotize a bird so I just figured you had a big snake....as a pet....

Who's been talking :D

Wasn't sure how to do a google search armed with a couple of photos :o

I've a bad internet connection tonight so apologies for the long delay in replying

That made you look :o

This small bird flew into our patio window the other day with quite a thud. Fortunately It wasn't hurt in any way and quickly recovered after I picked it up and sat it on nearby branch.

It's very similar to another that did the same thing a few months back. Question is, are they the same family, they both look very similar but one has a longer beak than the other and different coloured feathers on its head.

geoffphuket

post-30543-1180876533_thumb.jpg

post-30543-1180876587_thumb.jpg

Hey Geoff, the top bird is definitely a spiderhunter. It is most likely a Little Spiderhunter, but it could be a Thick-billed Spiderhunter. Is there white at the end of the underside of the tail? If so, it's a Little Spiderhunter. I'm leaning towards a Thick-billed as the throat is not white enough to be a Little.

The bottom bird is a Common Tailorbird.

Another thing I just remembered having seen.

Up on Doi Angkhang Nature resort they had the same problem with birds frequently flying into their panorama windows. They solved it by suspending a huge wooden eagle, live size, in front of the windows down from the ceiling. And it actually works, birds dont come near it.

I woke up last night and found a bad attached to my siding glass door screen. I turned on the light but it didn't go away. I went back to bed and ended up watching it for 15 minutes more. It kind of looked like one of those vampire bats that feed on cows. I figured I bet get it to move on as I didn't want that thing creeping through the side of the screen and feeding on me. I took a magazine and whacked the screen gently from the inside. It took off. Are there vampire bats in Thailand?