Vitamin D deficiency.

sipi

My Thai wife, living between Australia and Thailand for the last twenty something years was diagnosed through a blood test as vitamin D deficient.

I was stunned, Australia, a sunburnt country. Vitamin D comes from exposure to the sun.

So I googled it, and apparently darker skin people who avoid the sun are at greatest risk, and the consequences of vitamin D are quite severe.

Her doctor will possibly put her on a large dose that can be bought at the pharmacy.  I take a single dose of 20k units 3 times a week and have seen my numbers rise to the middle of the range that they have for Vitamin D.  Alzheimer's and Dementia are also some issues associated with low vitamin D.  I am fair skinned, but worked nights for 30 years and rarely saw the light of day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

Vitamin D clinic injection sites are popping up all over Bangkok. Anyone has an opinion on this?

Yes, I do. A lack of vitamin D is associated with a weakened immune system. A weakened immune system makes one more susceptible to infections, like Covid 19 for instance.

There is a clear distinction between the number of cases among city dwellers and those living in rural communities, in this country and in others. 

It sounds like someone has cottoned on to that fact in Bangkok and is capitalizing on it.

Incidentally, vitamin D deficiency is a very common problem in Arab countries where they cover themselves up against the sun. Especially women of course.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sipi said:

She does eat eggs, in the sun and takes 1000iu Vit D power day.

That's why we were surprised.

Apparently it's common amongst dark skinned people.

She needs to take a larger amount like I said 20k units 3 times a week.  The 20k comes in 1 capsule. A box of 100 is sold at the pharmacies. Best to ask the doctor.  They may want to recheck her every 90 days to ensure the levels come up.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

She needs to take a larger amount like I said 20k units 3 times a week.  The 20k comes in 1 capsule. A box of 100 is sold at the pharmacies. Best to ask the doctor.  They may want to recheck her every 90 days to ensure the levels come up.

She did ask her doctor and was prescribed the proper amount.

You'll notice there is no question mark at the end of my original post.

I'm not looking for answers, I'm informing the forum that dark skinned people are susceptible to Vitamin D deficiency.

Especially the ones that end up in the UK, Europe, Russia....