Honda wave two disc brakes.

jvs

A few years ago(could be ten years or so)there was a Honda wave for sale with a disc brake

both in front and in the back.

I tried to find it on the net but all i get is the after market disc brake information

I looked at this bike in the shop but i did not buy it because it did not have electric start.

Does any one know what year this bike was and maybe have a link?

I'm 97% sure that the Wave only ever came out with a disc on the front, and that was only about 2015 or so.  Before that both brakes were drum.  Maybe the one you saw in the shop had been converted with aftermarket parts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

I'm 97% sure that the Wave only ever came out with a disc on the front, and that was only about 2015 or so.  Before that both brakes were drum.  Maybe the one you saw in the shop had been converted with aftermarket parts.

It was a new Honda wave sold by the Honda dealer,i even had a brochure.

48 minutes ago, Neilly said:

They're available in Malaysia...maybe the one you saw was an import? They call it the Honda Wave 125I (FI) 2 Disc...do a search on that and there's loads of info

https://thmmotor.com.my/product/honda-wave-125i-fi-2-disc/

https://paultan.org/2021/03/02/2021-honda-wave-125i-launched-in-malaysia-rm6449/

waze-125-2dics.jpg

Thank you,yes maybe the one i saw was an import.

28 minutes ago, papa al said:

Wave rear-disc was sold here

briefly.

Yes, like 10 or 12 y/a.

Kinda remember seeing one on the street.

Fairly sure.

Rare.

Suzuki had underbone w/ rear disk too...

& manual clutch.

Yes i found out it was the Wave X,there are some around in Thailand.

Also found out it is not difficult to install the disc brake on the rear wheel.

Lots of kits available for different prices.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

my 2007 Wave had front disk, rear drum & ele. start, new from dealer.  Rear disc no offered or I would have gotten.

wave.jpg

None offered?

Did you specify the X model.?

Sometimes in Thailand 'no hab' is really...

... "Why bother; this falang will believe my BS"

Come on guys, very few riders use the rear brake as much as they should, although I do almost every time. But the weight of a Wave, the size (and quality) of the tyre, and the manufacturing costs mean that it's really not worth it. Have a look at most small cars, even they have drums at the back.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ive seen them also jvs . look for a thai wave facebk group.

probably not difficult or expensive to retrofit. drum brakes and cvt's are 100+ year old technology. you can also upgrade front disc . larger diameter, different caliper, more powerful master cylinder. adjustable leverage actuators. why? why bother ? it's easy to forget modern cars stop much faster than these old scooters. need for emergency braking? uh happens about once/ week. golly gee im blathering again

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2021 at 10:59 AM, papa al said:

No, drum front brakes are.

No, that's called a death-trap... ! ????

Front drum brake goes way back (mostly before ABS), well, that's on a descent bike, most quality bikes I have come across in the last 20 years had front disk (and some with front ABS) but many still with drum rear, so that conversation I heard was about rear drum brake, not front...

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

No, that's called a death-trap... ! ????

Front drum brake goes way back (mostly before ABS), well, that's on a descent bike, most quality bikes I have come across in the last 20 years had front disk (and some with front ABS) but many still with drum rear, so that conversation I heard was about rear drum brake, not front...

Is not ABS preferentially & commonly  installed on the front

vs. the rear?

Basic Wave110i is w/ front drum.

Maybe 31,000baht.

Perfectly safe.

Maybe safer when braking on sandy/slick surface...

as is ABS.

????

hence actual

"... poor man's ABS"

Edited by papa al

On 11/25/2021 at 4:29 AM, papa al said:

Is not ABS preferentially & commonly  installed on the front

vs. the rear?

Basic Wave110i is w/ front drum.

Maybe 31,000baht.

Perfectly safe.

Maybe safer when braking on sandy/slick surface...

as is ABS.

????

hence actual

"... poor man's ABS"

You are right in that respect....

But the conversation I had was some years ago when there was a bragging right about having dual channel ABS and having it on rear brake, while most bikes had it on front..., in fact as you might know or experienced, a disk rear brake locks up so easily and give the fish tail effect , far easier than front ....- done it myself a few times... ????

So this rear ABS was kind of luxury and worth boasting about - these days most ABS are dual channel and on rear and front...

I guess drum is poor man's only option anyway...., front or rear...! 

Selling point of drum front and rear is that typical Thais would only use the rear brakes for fear of going over the handle bar, and once the rear brake pads has worn down, the unused drum in front front is straight swap over the rear, and the bike is good until that's worn out

hence why non-front disc remained for so long

• Like 1