Tax reduction on drink?

clivebaxter

18 minutes ago, paddyfield7 said:

I have not heard that alcohol tax would be reduced in Thailand. But I remember that a nice Australian Cabernet-Sauvignon "The Wall" used to cost between THB 500 and THB 600 per bottle, but last week it was for sale at THE 399 - good buy!

2021-11-05 09.04.11.jpg

Never seen it where did you buy it?

• Like 1

Countries Tariff Rate Effective Duty and Tax Burden 14th January 2020

USA, France, Italy, Chile and other countries under WTO agreement 390.46%

Australia 294.92%

New Zealand 275.81%

I don't believe there has been a final decision by the authorities on how much the reduction will be. Maybe the excise which is very high will stay the same and the actual tax which is much lower will be reduced. Can you really see the beer makers in Thailand allowing especially imported wine to be competitively priced against beer? I don't think so!

Now you know why wine is ridiculously  priced in restaurants in Thailand!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, paddyfield7 said:

I have not heard that alcohol tax would be reduced in Thailand. But I remember that a nice Australian Cabernet-Sauvignon "The Wall" used to cost between THB 500 and THB 600 per bottle, but last week it was for sale at THE 399 - good buy!

2021-11-05 09.04.11.jpg

Where?

This is Thailand they change there mind every 24 hours it ain’t going to happen for the forceable future if at all let’s face it if the PM had the power he would ban all alcohol sales that’s why all the bars were not allowed to open and even today many are still closed due to this useless administration yet it’s okay to allow 100s to gather in the weekly markets  

I noticed the other day that the 5 litre boxes of wine and juice mix had gone up by 160 Baht. ridiculous price of over 1100 a box. Or 222 a litre..............:bah:. mind you, calling it wine is stretching the bounds of reality.

4 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Countries Tariff Rate Effective Duty and Tax Burden 14th January 2020

USA, France, Italy, Chile and other countries under WTO agreement 390.46%

Australia 294.92%

New Zealand 275.81%

I don't believe there has been a final decision by the authorities on how much the reduction will be. Maybe the excise which is very high will stay the same and the actual tax which is much lower will be reduced. Can you really see the beer makers in Thailand allowing especially imported wine to be competitively priced against beer? I don't think so!

Now you know why wine is ridiculously  priced in restaurants in Thailand!

Can somebody please explain this Thai fanaticism with excessive decimals to the point of 2/3 of Sweet Fanny Adams in virtually every statistic and dataset used.  

And while I'm at it, most countries have even done away with their former smallest coins that can't even buy you a free kick up the jacksie, but here we have coins worth literally nothing and a wheelbarrow full may almost buy you a small beer.