Washing Machines

baz69er

I'm looking at buying a new washing machine  (Front Loader)  & have seen a few discounted machines on Lazada , Electrolux, Sharp, Samsung etc a few have a 10 Year warranty & this would be my main reason to buy, anyone bought a washing machine with a 10 year warranty & got it repaired say 6 years later or is there a catch to it?

My other question, would it be better to buy say from Home-Pro so you could have a good look before buying & would be a lot less hassle if a fault was to develop......

Cheers

Baz

I got an Electrolux EWF 549 front loader maybe 15+ years ago.   I'm nice to it, and it treats me right.  It replaced a cheap top-loader "Rak Mia" (I love my wife) model from Big C that lasted 5+ years.  Never had to call washer service, but I have called refrigerator repair in Bangkok (for an LG), and was pleasantly surprised to find it was both rapid and cheap.  It seems highly unlikely that you would have to ship your washer anywhere.

For buying I usually visit both HomePro and PowerBuy (Central).  The trick is to find a salesperson who is not a rep of the manufacturer (which is why I don't bother with Paragon), and can offer useful advice.  My other experience has been that the price of any given model is fixed by the manufacturer no matter where you buy it.   Oh -- sales vary by brand, but are on every holiday, and on 1/1, 2/2 .. of each month.  The 11/11 sale ends today ???? 

--Retiree

• Haha 1

Bought a small Toshiba top-loader (6.5kg) about 15 years ago.  After about 6 or 7 years of 4 X weekly usage, it died.  Toshiba 10 year warranty useless; they quoted me about B4000 parts and labor. Thing had cost B5900 new.

Guy from local electrical "Rham Fai" came over, took a look and came back the next day with a few parts.  Had it running in a hour and it's run ever since.  B500

BTW, regarding water filters; not a bad idea.  I have to clean the inlet filter screen pretty often as the mesh gets clogged with all sorts of gunk.  My water feed is about 3m of garden hose and I think it develops algae inside when the water sits between uses.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

Not on your list, but my LG front loader developed a bearing whine after a couple of years, and the bearing plus the whole drum was replaced under guarantee by an engineer who did the work in my home as a call out.

Worth checking if your chosen brand has a local maintenance team.

Edited by Kinnock
  • Like 1

Invest in a good water filter system at the same time?

I don't filter the washwater.  There's a built-in filter that has to be cleaned with a toothbrush once in a while.  On the other hand, I did buy good-quality ground-fault interrupters for my washing machine and refrigerator.   

By coincidence, I just replaced my old-fashioned three-stage stainless steel kitchen water filter with a Mazuma M3F-3 (about 6,800 baht -- love me some 11/11 HomePro sales).    Been very happy with a Turbora for the past 20+ years, but all the valves eventually wore out, and are not easily fixable -- I think their new models are all plastic, and require filter cartridges, not the bagged resin & carbon.  The Mazuma uses the newer style non-compression faucets (and is the only one they sell, anyway), so should outlast me. 

--Retiree 

• Like 1

Had an Electrolux that was 5 years old (in the condo when I bought it) and the missus fritzed its brain. I produced the warranty card.  "so solly, wanty only cover motor".  New brain cost me 4K.

If you buy a front loader make sure the operator understands to only use the correct front loader detergent and understands what concentrated means and how little water this type use.  My missus wasn't happy unless she saw tons of soapy bubbles through the window.  Result, Electrolux with a wet and fritzed brain.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Invest in a good water filter system at the same time?

I would need a water filter system for a modern washing machine (not the Thai top loaders). How do I know if the flowrate of the filter system is sufficient for the washing machine?

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Not on your list, but my LG front loader developed a bearing whine after a couple of years, and the bearing plus the whole drum was replaced under guarantee by an engineer who did the work in my home as a call out.

Would have been a maintenance tech that came to you house, not an engineer.

Have an LG Toploader in its last year of warranty, it shat a main board, techs came and diagnosed issue and came back and replaced 2 days later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Relating to the first statement - I have a LG fridge, when I moved house I had a lot going on - I noticed that the freezer door wasn't closing in a way. I called the helpline, unfortunately I couldnt get any technical assistance over the phone, it was just a matter of the operator passing my number to the local engineer.

Long story short, 2x LG fitters arrived to our place, a village 30 mins outside Khon Kaen,  the wife dealt with the issue and made a total balls up, the guys left after telling her it needed a new door seal, which I didn't believe, the door seemed to be crooked. 

They returned a couple of days with a seal and I rudely pointed out that the door didn't need a seal and I demonstrated the play in the door hinge - the fitter looked at me and the fridge, took out a spirit level - the fridge wasn't level. The door was out of true - I felt a total mug, they adjusted the feet and the door closed properly - I offered to pay a callout charge, It wasn't their fault the wife was unable to express in her own language the issue on the first day. They said there was no need. 

0/10 for the farang and his stupid wife, 10/10 for LG service team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dddave said:

Aside from using less water & detergent, what are the advantages of a front-loader?

Perhaps the ability to install under a counter?

Yes your right & also easy to add that odd sock that you forgot to put in, but saying that some machines (Samsung) has a small door separate from the main one......

My main reason that i don't want a top loader is that all your clothes are sitting on top of each other & i always find my clothes are all tangled together & could even damage them, I personally think that front loaders are a much  better design..........

Edited by baz69er
mistake

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Be careful what details are , like:

10 YEARS WARRANTY

on motor

LG and Samsung examples:

Remove LG 10 Year Warranty Appliance Stickers Easy - YouTubeFlexWash Top & Front Load Wash 21kg, Dryer 12kg | Samsung PH

The rest is just 1 year or 2 years at most.

Yeh I've seen some for 3 years which isn't bad & the motor is probably the last thing to go......

28 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Machines for washing clothes is so hi-so, I got the old lady a new rock and she was delighted.

Spot on didn't come half way round the world to learn hoe to use a washing machine its all in Thai anyway

20 hours ago, baz69er said:

a few have a 10 Year warranty & this would be my main reason to buy, anyone bought a washing machine with a 10 year warranty & got it repaired say 6 years later or is there a catch to it?

The main catch is that it's usually only on certain parts which hardly ever fail anyway, in case of a washing machine it's usually only the motor, all other parts have only 1 year warranty or so.