The End Of Tourist Visas ?

A friend of mine who have lived in Thailand for a cuple of years have to move out of the country. He cant get any more turist visas - the 60 day single entry visas isued at Thai embasyes. He have been to Cambodia, Malasya and Singapore and they wont give him any more turist visas.

Anybody heard about this before?

Tom (working and living in Phi Phi Island)

A friend of mine who have lived in Thailand for a cuple of years have to move out of the country. He cant get any more turist visas - the 60 day single entry visas isued at Thai embasyes. He have been to Cambodia, Malasya and Singapore and they wont give him any more turist visas.

So many questions. What nationality is your friend? How old is he? What is he doing in Thailand? Does he look like a scumbag? Denial in Cambodia is no surprise, but has he actually gone to Singapore and Malaysia and been denied visas? Where in Malaysia?

i have also been shut out of singapore after 4 2 month tourist visas were issued. The last time they wrote a lengthy note in my passport that I should get the proper paperwork if I plan to work in Thailand. They went on to say that the Singapore office will no longer issue me a tourist visa.

So, yes, this is happening.

i have also been shut out of singapore after 4 2 month tourist visas were issued. The last time they wrote a lengthy note in my passport that I should get the proper paperwork if I plan to work in Thailand. They went on to say that the Singapore office will no longer issue me a tourist visa.

The Thai embassy in Singapore has always frowned upon the issuance of back-to-back tourist visas although they have been known to actually issue such visas. Their tourist visa policy goes back at least ten years so nothing new there...

are you just "holidaying" in Thailand or are you working / living here?

Edited by smartecosse

So many questions. What nationality is your friend? How old is he? What is he doing in Thailand? Does he look like a scumbag? Denial in Cambodia is no surprise, but has he actually gone to Singapore and Malaysia and been denied visas? Where in Malaysia?

He is American, about 45 years old, retired, and tatooed byond hiding ;-). He told me he went to both KL and Penang.

Cheers, Tom

are you just "holidaying" in Thailand or are you working / living here?

Im working here but my friend is not.

This has been coming for 8 months. Why is anyone surprised?

Will you also be posting a similar 2 liner the day a newbie comes on here and states that the US embassy will discontinue rubber stamping income docs?

Hold your horses - strangers are just friends you haven`t met yet ;-)

He is American, about 45 years old, retired, and tatooed byond hiding ;-). He told me he went to both KL and Penang.

Cheers, Tom

Did your friend consider using a visa agent in Penang. It's only 200 baht and they will never see his face (or tattoos) at the Consulate.

Is there any chance you could elaborate on why he didn't get a visa. I've never heard of tourist visas being refused in Penang. Some people are on their 4th tourist visa since October 1, 2006.

Mr Mouse, I'm sorry to say this but you got raped

Some years ago , on a "visa run package" to Penang I paid 1000b (100R) on top of the 2000b (200R) for a double entry tourist to the "agent" we were taken to.

I realise I was seriously violated.

But I'm over it now.

:o

This thread is named wrong. It is not the end of tourist visas. It is the end of embassies and immigration turning a blind eye and issuing four tourist visas in a row to someone who is, patently, not a tourist.

He is American, about 45 years old, retired.................

Sorry he does not sound like a tourist to me.

I guess the embassies took the same view.

sounds like he may be an early retiree with no other visa options but it sounds like a bs story anyhow. 45 y/o americans are not getting turned down for tourist visas. the OP mentioned something about hearing that this happened; sounds like hearsay to me; thrown out of court, much to the chagrin of bendix, thaivisa's most well liked poster, case dismissed.

Edited by Fred Sanford

He is American, about 45 years old, retired.................

Sorry he does not sound like a tourist to me.

I guess the embassies took the same view.

sounds like he may be an early retiree with no other visa options but it sounds like a bs story anyhow. 45 y/o americans are not getting turned down for tourist visas. the OP mentioned something about hearing that this happened; sounds like hearsay to me; thrown out of court, much to the chagrin of bendix, thaivisa's most well liked poster, case dismissed.

I was just in KL for my 4th consecutive TV and I am 45 American but no tattoos and absolutely no trouble and I didn't see or hear of anyone being denied while I was there. In the last 4 trips to KL there have been a few instances where someone got denied but not westerners and usually Africans or SE Asians.

There is either something else to this story or BS bar tale.

This thread is named wrong. It is not the end of tourist visas. It is the end of embassies and immigration turning a blind eye and issuing four tourist visas in a row to someone who is, patently, not a tourist.

We really need to wait awhile to assess this situation. Many "tourists" are already on their 4th tourist visa since October 1, 2006.

The American Heritage Dictionary lists "tourist" as "One who travels for pleasure". It doesn't say anything about "limited to (1) tourist visa". Unfortunately, a narrow category of people are trying to work on these visas but I think immigration is getting it sorted out the best they can. :o

The American Heritage Dictionary lists "tourist" as "One who travels for pleasure". It doesn't say anything about "limited to (1) tourist visa". Unfortunately, a narrow category of people are trying to work on these visas but I think immigration is getting it sorted out the best they can. :o

Are you certain immigration's motive is to rid Thailand of these illegally working people?

They maybe cutting back on visa-free entries purely to increase revenue. Doing this eliminates people without money by default.

Well, they're raking it in on those visa extensions at 1,900 baht a pop! What was that article on the front page of the nation yesterday talking about Cambodian terrorism suspects? every year several thousand Cambodians enter the country but only a few hundred go back? they've got bigger problems than farangs and tourist visas at the moment.

Edited by cali4995