Bike Insurance & Tax - Yearly?

aldriglikvid

10 hours ago, roger101 said:

I use AA Insurance Brokers. 2140 Baht for fully comp  insurance for my 6 year old Click  and 324 Baht for the compulsory insurance. Excellent service. I have been dealing with them for 15 years ,no complaints.

Second that. They were the only ones to find me First Class for my Forza last year.

Used since 2005. Excellent

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Its really annoying that even if you buy your own cover, you still have to get the compulsory insurance - - just a racket!

They are two separate insurances, your own private insurance is for property damage, yours or the other vehicle. The compulsory Por Lor Bor insurance is 3rd party person insurance, it covers people injured by the vehicle.

Most countries in the world have a separate compulsory 3rd party person requirement, often part of your annual fees. In Australia for example its called CTP insurance (compulsary 3rd party), nothing to do with optional private damage insurance.

Many Thai insurance companies offer CTP coverage as part of their first class insurance package

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

(compulsary 3rd party), nothing to do with optional private damage insurance.

This is also covered by private insurance, just with higher limits than the Thai Gov't mandatory insurance.

Mine 10 million THB

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Its really annoying that even if you buy your own cover, you still have to get the compulsory insurance - - just a racket!

No it's not it's better than nothing the racket is voluntary insurance if you ask me. 

Many voluntary insurance companies maybe all require you to have CTPL as well or you wouldn't be able to claim. 

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

No it's not it's better than nothing the racket is voluntary insurance if you ask me. 

Many voluntary insurance companies maybe all require you to have CTPL as well or you wouldn't be able to claim. 

Of course its better that nothing, that's not what I'm talking about.  I don't see why its necessary if you have your own insurance.  Naturally the private insurers may stipulate that you must also have compulsory insurance - it reduces their payout.

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

They are two separate insurances, your own private insurance is for property damage, yours or the other vehicle. The compulsory Por Lor Bor insurance is 3rd party person insurance, it covers people injured by the vehicle.

Most countries in the world have a separate compulsory 3rd party person requirement, often part of your annual fees. In Australia for example its called CTP insurance (compulsary 3rd party), nothing to do with optional private damage insurance.

Many Thai insurance companies offer CTP coverage as part of their first class insurance package

Sorry but some of what you say is incorrect.  My 1st class insurance is not just for property damage, it also covers both myself and anyone else involved for injury if I'm at fault. I can post the policy if you think I'm wrong.

Edited by KhaoYai

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Sorry but some of what you say is incorrect.  My 1st class insurance is not just for property damage, it also covers both myself and anyone else involved for injury if I'm at fault. I can post the policy if you think I'm wrong.

As I said, some first class insurance does include a por lor por component. (accepted by the DLT)

A lot if the coverage is liability (not medical) cover, if you injure someone and they sue you for damages, loss of income etc, it doesn't automatically pay their medical bills as por lor bor does, and its not accepted by the DLT..

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

As I said, some first class insurance does include a por lor por component. (accepted by the DLT)

A lot if the coverage is liability (not medical) cover, if you injure someone and they sue you for damages, loss of income etc, it doesn't automatically pay their medical bills as por lor bor does, and its not accepted by the DLT..

No, that is also incorrect.  To the best of my knowledge All first class policies include medical/injury/death cover for third parties - I cetainly haven't seen one that doesn't.  When you purchase such a policy you are asked if you also want the compulsory insurance and if you do, the premium is adjusted accordingly and I believe (unsure because I didn't take it up), listed separately.  When trying to get 1st class cover for my bike, I got quotes from at least 3 companies (possibly 4) - all of them covered third party medical/injury and death.

Its not only 1st class cover either, I was hit by a taxi in Bangkok 10 years ago, amazingly the car was only covered by 3rd class insurance (legally apparently).  I sustained significant injuries, spent time in hospital and 6 weeks off work.  Being 3rd class, the amount of cover was low but I did at least receive 100,000 from the 3rd class insurers and if my memory serves me correctly, 30,000 towards my hospital bill from the compulsory insurer.

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Of course its better that nothing, that's not what I'm talking about.  I don't see why its necessary if you have your own insurance.  Naturally the private insurers may stipulate that you must also have compulsory insurance - it reduces their payout.

Exactly.