Must one have a current, valid visa (or visa extension) to ship household goods from Thailand back to the U.S. via ocean freight?

I am trying to decide how and when to ship about 150 CFT of household goods back to America early next year, but have a few questions. The prices for shipping via ocean freight are the highest they have been in decades! I was considering the possibility of storing my stuff with a friend or in a self-storage warehouse in BKK for 6, 9, or 12 months to give the world time to try to reduce the backlog of container ships at the seaports in the U.S. If I am reading the U.S. Customs' website correctly, "The year of use does not need to be  . . . the year immediately before the date of importation."  I think this means I can still import my stuff back home duty free, even if I wait awhile to do so. Perhaps, it doesn't!?! However, I am not sure if I must still have a current visa at the time of the actual shipment from Thailand back into the U.S. and whether or not I would actually have to be in country to produce a physical passport to do so. I might return to Thailand to visit late next year and could possibly do all of that then, if required. Has anyone ever done this before or have any insight into all or some of these matters? Thanks