Buddhism For Beginners

jingjingna

Have you looked much on the internet? There's tons of stuff. If you are interested in Thai Buddhism....it is Theravada Buddhism. There is one branch which seems to interest many westerners...it is called the Forest Tradition or the Thai Forest Tradition. It is my understanding that at one time the mainstream Thai Buddist monks had come to the conclusion that it was impossible for some attainments to be achieved any more....then the Thai Forest Tradition emerged and seemed to convince alot of people that all of the attainments mentioned by the Buddha were still possible and in this life time. I'm not very well versed in this stuff so I hope that either somone else comes on and explains it better or that you start looking on the internet...you'll find this and lots lots more.

Also to anyone, the Access to Insight site at:

www.accesstoinsight.org

has got a lot of stuff about alot of topics and written by people who have a nack for explaining things in simple terms. I don't know why the link doesn't work but if you google for access to insight you will find it.

Edited by chownah

Everyone will have different books that are favorites. Here are a few of mine.

Anything by Thich Nhat Hanh

Cutting through spiritual materialism by Chogyam Trungpa

Myth of freedom by Chogyam Trungpa

Zen Mind, Beginners Mind by Suzuki Roshi

But most important I agree with all the people who said that you need to practice. Do lots of sitting meditation.

When I was younger I read a lot, but I didn't sit much because reading was interesting and fun, but sitting was difficult. This is like someone who reads lots of books on body building but never goes to the gym to work out.

Another good book:

Buddhism without Beliefs by Stephen Batchelor. There are lots of superstitions and myths mixed up in Buddhism. This book points out that they are not important to the core teaching.

For example, I have no idea if there is any such thing as reincarnation. That is not important. If I totally let go of the illusion of self and open my heart to love, then fear of death disappears. That is what is really important, and the heart of Buddhism as I understand it.

Probably my two favourites are:

1. The Living Buddha: An interpretive biography ~ Daisaku Ikeda

A refreshingly original biography that doesn't deify Shakyamuni in any sense. But rather puts his early life through to enlightenment and death in his historical and social settings. Not that Ikeda's book lacks spiritual insights and observtions - there's plenty of often quotable Dharmic insights - it's just that this book shows Shakyamuni's enlightenment as available to all, whilst showing the reasoning behind his earlier Dharmic expositions.Excellent stuff by one of the worlds foremost Buddhist thinkers.

2. The Buddha, Geoff and Me: a modern novel; Edward Camfor-Dumas

A well written and engaging novel written to show that the practice of Buddhism is not some esoteric philosophy divorced from the everyday life of ordinary people. Written from a Nichiren Daishonin perspective , it makes some of the more complicated theories accesible within a novel with which most can identify with. I would have thought that anyone reading this novel will definately have some of their perceptions of life changed; and for others provide food for thought. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

Over the last few years I've read up on Buddhism including some of the books you guys mentioned but is there any good books specific to the Buddhist traditions in Thailand. (Sorry if someone already suggested some I didn't read every single post).

Thai Forest Tradition:

Anything by Ajahn Summedho, eg. The Mind and the Way

Anything by Ajahn Chah, eg. Being Dharma

Suan Mokh:

Handbook for Mankind, by Phra Buddhadhasa

Over the last few years I've read up on Buddhism including some of the books you guys mentioned but is there any good books specific to the Buddhist traditions in Thailand. (Sorry if someone already suggested some I didn't read every single post).

The one introductory book that has the strongest Thai slant on Theravada, that I know of at least, is Buddhism Explained, by Phra Khantipalo. Khantipalo was an Australian who was in robes for a long time, mostly in Thailand. It has been issued by various publishers at various times, last I checked Silkworm Books was printing it.

It's not nearly as inspiring as the books inspired by the Thai forest tradition, e.g., the Aj Sumedho and Ven Aj Chah titles which camerata cited, and which are also very Thai in their own way. Phra Khantipalo's book is more 'Thai orthodox', you could say. It goes into a fair amount of detail about daily customs and practices in Thai Buddhism.