Cost of US Passports to increase Dec. 27

DJ54

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Note that there is no expedite fee when applying overseas - and no need for one, since passports issued to Americans abroad are printed expeditiously and typically sent to the applicant within 2-3 weeks.

But there are Thai post costs at this time unless the Embassy has started back pick up at the Embassy again.

Inflation takes a bite out of Americans.  And we all know why.  So this comes as no surprise.  What does come as a surprise for American expats—the pounding of the USD this week.  Merry Christmas to all.  May better days lay ahead.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I am good until 2030 which may be past my expiration date … hope not, I am enjoying my retirement here in Thailand. On a USA related note … end of another tax year. I married my Thai love this year … those who have dealt with tax filing … advice solicited as regards filing status. I am reading but … Filing Married Joint, Married Separately, Head of Household (Stepdaughter with us). I am sole support. Da is Thai, noUS residency or other status for her in USA.

Your wife has to have an ITIN (individual tax identification number) before you can claim her as a dependent. You can download the application form from the IRS website. You will file "married filing jointly". Your stepdaughter can not be claimed as a dependent. Six years ago, I needed certified copies of our original marriage certificate, the wife's birth certificate and her Thai ID card. I also needed these 3 documents translated into English and certified. I had this done at a local lawyer's office. I filled out the application form  and my wife signed her name in Thai script and printed it in English. Took a little over 8 weeks turn around to get the ITEN.

• Like 1