Thai citizen entering Thailand:- Do they need COVID Insurance?

JUNEGLOBE

A lot the guides I read pertain to foreigners entering Thailand, not Thai citizens, so I'm a little unclear with some of the potential requirements. 

• My mum is Thai and holds a Thai passport.
  • She wants to enter Bangkok under the 7 day Alternative Quarantine. 
  • Does she need to buy the $50,000 COVID Insurance that many other people are buying?

Also if anyone has links to official websites that lay out all these requirements I would be greatly appreciative! I would be devastated if something like not buying a £50 insurance was what stopped my mum from getting to Thailand. But of course a £50 saving would be nice too!

Thank you. 

26 minutes ago, BangkokAlan said:

It is not required for Thais returning home. I have just entered Thailand with my Thai wife this week into quarantine in Bangkok.

Thank you. 

Did anyone ask your wife about insurance, and then she was able to show them her Thai passport?

She was never questioned? When you apply for Thai pass one requirement is insurance for foreigners but its not on list for Thais. The only time insurance is asked for apart from applying for Thai pass is after you exit the aircraft in Thailand there is a team set up to check your all covid test, insurance and hotel documents before you arrive at immigration it an additional step so they will never ask for insurance.

• 4 weeks later...

We're considering sending our 17 year old Son to the UK during the holidays as his British family hasn't seen him for over 2 years and it's breaking their hearts.

He is a Thai national(he also holds a British passport, if that has any relevance), was born here in Thailand & holds a Thai ID card.

Upon his return to Thailand, would he be subject to the same possibilities as a foreigner? if he returned Covid positive, would he be sent off to a prison, sorry, Hospitel for expensive nothingness? Or could he simply isolate at home?

1 minute ago, internationalism said:

positive thai citizens have free medical care and if asymptomatic field hospital.

They can upgrade to hospitel, AQ for some 30k for 10 days. Rather small chance for self-isolation at home for those entering country

That's the best news I've received today, thanks for sharing!