Avocado rage

bradiston

Yes, I've almost hit it. I saw on some program that if you harvest them too early, they will never ripen, and that seems to be what's happening. They sit there in piles in the big supermarkets. Nobody goes near them. I suppose they all get chucked out. What a waste. 

Anyone got a take on this? I'm quite partial to a decent avocado, but hard to come buy here in Pattaya I've discovered. Even in the markets.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

You can ripen avocado by placing them in a brown paperbag with a banana in a dark cupboard.

Works for me, take a couple days if really hard.

Give it a go

Yup....bought one last week and it took four days.  Be patient!!!!

PH

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

You can ripen avocado by placing them in a brown paperbag with a banana in a dark cupboard.

Give it a go

If the brown paper bag is good quality, ie adequate for 'donations', why the need for the dark cupboard?

17 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Give it a go

Will try that, thanks. The ones i buy seem to take forever to ripen. The window from cannonball hardness to rancid mush seemingly around 30 minutes..

• Like 1

The ones I buy weekly from Lotus S Pattaya take 4-5 days. Just left in fruit bowl on lounge table. In the last 2 months only had to mushers. 

In terms of the perfect avocado,  anyone know where you can buy cayenne pepper from. Apart from Lazada? Cheers. 

28 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If the brown paper bag is good quality, ie adequate for 'donations', why the need for the dark cupboard?

The bag is to retain and concentrate ethene/ethylene:

"Bananas make other fruit ripen because they release a gas called ethene (formerly ethylene),"

Paper, rather than plastic, to discourage condensation

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RayWright said:

anyone know where you can buy cayenne pepper from. Apart from Lazada? Cheers. 

Just buy chili powder that is Thai made. Ground dried Thai chilis. Lately the avocadoes I have been getting are 50 baht for big Haas ones. 3-5 days and have been wonderful, very green and creamy inside. Been making excellent guacamole.

Salsa fresca, chips and guacamole.

857536_10151995736706266_3968171096310370263_o.jpg

The ministry of public health and the minister of justice are trying to sort out which parts of the avocado are legal to consume.

Right now you can only eat the skin, and pit. And parts of the tree. The jury is still out on the mesocarp.

A committee meeting is scheduled to sort through this thorny issue.

The pm has reluctantly allowed citizens to have toast though.

• Haha 2

The last batch I bought I left on my balcony in sunlight. After about a week they were still rock hard. Losing patience I attacked one with a meat cleaver only to find a putrid mess inside. It had totally duped me into thinking it wasn't ripe. I'm not going to throw good money after bad again. They're either slightly soft when I buy them or I won't get fooled again.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I always found locally grown avocados to be hit and miss, with a lot more misses. The imported avocados from New Zealand and Australia are good but often they have been in the supermarket too long and are already past their prime.

The best luck I had with avocados was to get one from the supermarket NZ or Aus that was not yet ripe. Within a day or two it would be good.

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

I always found locally grown avocados to be hit and miss, with a lot more misses. The imported avocados from New Zealand and Australia are good but often they have been in the supermarket too long and are already past their prime.

The best luck I had with avocados was to get one from the supermarket NZ or Aus that was not yet ripe. Within a day or two it would be good.

I seem to have struck avocado gold in the fruit market on Thepprasit, behind Mr DIY, near to Colloseum. A constant, reliable supply of excellent fruit. I virtually live on them as they are keto gold! About 90 THB per kg. I buy the purple/brown ones. I avoid the supermarket ones.

On 6/21/2022 at 3:41 AM, mstevens said:

Yes, gave up on them in Thailand.

To many bitter or tasteless ones.

Plenty of other nice fruit in Thailand.

Used to use the market on Thepprasit, for years.

when i lived there.