Unexpected Cars

Were you able to exchange Fiat fiat for that? And the Black Label? If so, things may not be as dire as forecast. Enjoy!

i was quite surprised that i could pay in fiat money :)

:D But I thought it was just 'worthless pieces of paper????' Just wait until one day the sky falls directly onto your 8-series! Keep some tin-foil in the boot for such emergencies.

There is/was another board member who had a red 850CSI in Dubai. I have a picture of it somewhere but can't seem to find it now...

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you able to exchange Fiat fiat for that? And the Black Label? If so, things may not be as dire as forecast. Enjoy!

i was quite surprised that i could pay in fiat money :)

:DBut I thought it was just 'worthless pieces of paper????' Just wait until one day the sky falls directly onto your 8-series! Keep some tin-foil in the boot for such emergencies.

There is/was another board member who had a red 850CSI in Dubai. I have a picture of it somewhere but can't seem to find it now...

i offered three KrügerRands but my offer was refused and it was insisted that i pay with fiat money.

^That's a pretty good looking car from the outside, it would be nice if they used a couple of the ten shots to show the inside and the engine bay though, must not be too impressive is the impression presented..

Very interesting :) . Wonder what's under the hood, monster hood scoop eh. 2.8, very confusing and as the ad is in Thai !!! Perhaps a 396ci (6.5) big block, but l doubt it, more likely a 307 or 350 V8 as it does have the factory twin tail pipes, 6 pot has one. Looks clean but for sure has had a makeover. Perhaps our Stingray knows the car and more info, just for fun.

Saw that one, but don't know it. But if they say 2.8, i guess they mean Nissan LD 2.8 liter Diesel, cylinder, or the ld 2.8 liter Benzine engine from Toyota Crown, 6 cylinder as well. Many Thais like to downsize their vehicles, to save fuel, even they drive those cars only sometimes (not everyday). I saw local peaple, bought a old car, fitting in a 30'000 Baht LPG Gas kit, to save fuel and after 4 mont they want to sell their car. It duesn't make sense to spend "3 dollar to save one".

Very interesting :) . Wonder what's under the hood, monster hood scoop eh. 2.8, very confusing and as the ad is in Thai !!! Perhaps a 396ci (6.5) big block, but l doubt it, more likely a 307 or 350 V8 as it does have the factory twin tail pipes, 6 pot has one. Looks clean but for sure has had a makeover. Perhaps our Stingray knows the car and more info, just for fun.

Saw that one, but don't know it. But if they say 2.8, i guess they mean Nissan LD 2.8 liter Diesel, cylinder, or the ld 2.8 liter Benzine engine from Toyota Crown, 6 cylinder as well. Many Thais like to downsize their vehicles, to save fuel, even they drive those cars only sometimes (not everyday). I saw local peaple, bought a old car, fitting in a 30'000 Baht LPG Gas kit, to save fuel and after 4 mont they want to sell their car. It duesn't make sense to spend "3 dollar to save one".

That would go along with my impression about something to hide..

But if they say 2.8, i guess they mean Nissan LD 2.8 liter Diesel, cylinder, or the ld 2.8 liter Benzine engine from Toyota Crown, 6 cylinder as well.

The ad states (in Thai) that it's a 6-cylinder engine, but that's all of the info provided.

In this case it's not the money worth. For 750'k should have a V8. To buy and install a V8 properly you need aditional 100'k plus all the hassles and timewaste until the car is fine. You don't buy a Rolex with a casio movement inside.

Naam, that is one sweet looking 850.

If you see drool on it, it might be jcon's, he is lusting after a 850 CSI. :)

EvilDrSomkid, how's the S6? I like 'em fasty and torquey :D

jcon:

The S6 is doing fine all things considering. It needs a new MAF, the old one just broke. I have a new one coming over from the US.

Hit me up next month, I'll give you a ride.

Hitting 220+? Mai mee pan ha khap.

PM me if you want to meet up. Still have that white 900turbo?

• 2 weeks later...

well yeah Beatles, a Capri, some almost unrecognizable US cars... VW "Samba" converted into a "Cocktail-Bar"...

BUT an Opel Rekord D (1972-77) !

Another oddity where I thought it was a Renault Dauphine but it isn't so a pic is in order..

BUT this one ranks on top of the list...

OldTruckII.jpg

Dodge - Army Truck?

well yeah Beatles, a Capri, some almost unrecognizable US cars... VW "Samba" converted into a "Cocktail-Bar"...

BUT an Opel Rekord D (1972-77) !

Another oddity where I thought it was a Renault Dauphine but it isn't so a pic is in order..

BUT this one ranks on top of the list...

OldTruckII.jpg

Dodge - Army Truck?

Reminds me of the D5N with the fireball 318 I use to have, great fun to drive, especially on the windy dirt roads around the farm in the hills near Kinglake.

Heres a couple more

The white one is actually a Opel Kadett C, with a Isuzu Badge on it. Another earlier efidence that GM dominates Isuzu. Had one of those as a coupe, overhere, a decade ago. Nice little fun car, but, they had only 1.2liter "carbu" engines overhere.

Another earlier efidence that GM dominates Isuzu.

Off topic, but the next generation "D-Max" will use a GM Thailand made engine and chassis.. Full 360.

Yes, i know, D Max and Colorado is anyway the same. But what puzzles me is when Thais allways explain me that Isuzu is "Number one" and Chevrolet is "no good".

But what puzzles me is when Thais allways explain me that Isuzu is "Number one" and Chevrolet is "no good".

Ditto. Especially when you look under the rear wheel arches of a Colorado and see ISUZU in white stenciled paint on all the suspension parts :)

A Thai guy I've known for years here has a 1964 Pontiac GTO, he also has a 450 SL AMG and ten Harleys. I see farang driving, once in a while; a Porsche 911 RS, it screams! I've seen a few Ferraris too. Original Mini Coopers, old VW Bugs and buses. Old US jeeps and more!

As I once bought and sold unique cars, I have dozens and dozens of pics of weird and wonderful cars in LOS over three years.

Last thing I spotted was a Buick Grand National.

So far I've seen three Australian Valiants here - a marque I'm quite fond of.

• 3 weeks later...
i unexpectedly saw a car give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing

Absolutely no way Jose, I reckon he must have run out of gas right at the crossing :o

Either that or the pedestrians were Monks. That's the only time I've ever seen a Thai give an inch, even when traffic in front of them is stopped and they are going nowhere anyway. There's a Jeep with American license plates (Montana) whose owner lives in Ban Chang, and I've seen a few motorcycles (big bikes) with California plates.

Edited by Bobr

Last week a beautifully restored? Fiat 1100 (have pictures if interested) and while driving a 1970's Ford Transit van. There is interesting stuff everywhere. In Bang Kruay there is still a Honda S600, less engine unfortunately. I saw a 56' Vauxhall Victor once! The car museum is worth a look if anyone is in BKK. Ok it's a drive but....

Edited by VocalNeal

Saw a circa 1970's Winnie driving around Phuket a couple of years ago (for those who don't know that's an affectionate name for a Winnebago motorhome), what a nostalgic flash back that was :o , so I turned around and ran it down to be certain I wasn't hallucinating and show it to my boys and my wife as they didn't know what I was blabbering on about :( ...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Last week a beautifully restored? Fiat 1100 (have pictures if interested) and while driving a 1970's Ford Transit van. There is interesting stuff everywhere. In Bang Kruay there is still a Honda S600, less engine unfortunately. I saw a 56' Vauxhall Victor once! The car museum is worth a look if anyone is in BKK. Ok it's a drive but....

In Hua Hin there is a 4 door suicide-door Fiat in white pearl. amazing how it has survived 100 meters from the beach.

A Lamborghini Diablo in front of the Dusit Hotel in Bangkok. Even more amazing was that nobody seemed to care

Am I the only car nut here in BKK?

Quite common.

Can't go 2 days of driving in BKK without seeing a Lambo or Ferrari.

The Diablo would be quite rare though, I s'pose.