Food Cart

roger101

1 hour ago, roger101 said:

What is the name for the 3 wheeled food carts that seen to be on every street here?

Do I understand correctly that on every street in Thailand there are three food carts with wheels on them, loaded with food. I don't remember seeing them on Silom Road in Bangkok last time I was there two years ago. When did they start showing up?

• Haha 2

OP doesn't state 'motorized' or not.  Which case, motorized, would be salang, or simply a side cart on a motorbike.  Unless a trike, or something fancier.

Cart on every street, for me, implies the ones selling fruit, roti, bbq, and something that is pushed or pulled.  Motorized, and I'd envision simply a side cart on scooter.

Google 3 wheeled cart, and you get all kinds, not necessarily seen here. Type out 'three wheel (ed) cart' and you get a few different versions with Gtranslate.

When I read the OP I immediately thought of a scene from one of my favourite movies "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel". For those who haven't watched it yet, a group of 6 British retirees arrive in India and are travelling overland to their hotel. Douglas Ainslie, played by Bill Nighy, is eating some local food when he turns to his wife Jean Ainslie, played by Penelope Wilton, and asks her if she'd like to try some. Anyways, here's how this played out: 

Jean Ainslie: Are you insane? Avoid all food not from a reputable vendor. It'll be washed in impure water.

Douglas Ainslie: It's just a sandwich.

Jean Ainslie: Oh, marvelous. Then I'll have ham, cheese, and streptococcus. Or perhaps bacteria, lettuce, and tomato.

Are those food carts not called trollies? 

And in California a motorcycle with sidecar doesn’t need a MC license .. only car DL... Food. Cart I’ve 

heard them called slings... probably salang with untrained ears..  We could call today weird Wednesday or just plain crazy... Enjoy the day laugh a bit and enjoy life....

63A2C466-5FD7-4227-874F-BD0BAD670BBB.jpeg