hand over car + blue book to insurance company, is it safe?

vento

ok, maybe a stupid question and this would be a absolutely disaster to do in my homecountry, but perhaps its different here

I need to change/re-register my car for a new province and get new plates. car already been unregistered in old province, the car finance did that when i paid out the load (dont ask why, something about i paid the full amount in another province than the original papers where signed)  I dont have the energy and/or understand what i actually have to do, not only i need new insurance, road tax, properly car inspected and tons of other stuff i have no idea about.

insurance company offered me to do it, they need the car/blue book/copy passport and a couple of passport photos, tells me it will be done same day.

its a official office (not an agent) of one of the bigger companies (properly the biggest car insurance)

But, my gut feeling tells me this is unsafe (it would be back home).. will they with these papers etc. be able to re-register/change ownership on the car even though im not there, or is this normal practice around here, if someone is not able to do these things and have other people do it on their behalf?

please advice if you have any actual knowledge about this (not just gut feelings, because i do have those already, hence this post) ????

thanks in advance.

• Confused 1

Gotta be safer to have an official insurance company sort the transfer than some random "agent".

Ive done the province change myself (Bangkok to Chonburi), its a paperwork nightmare !!

As your is already de registered in the original province you will only need to visit the new province of registration.

Not sure why the insurance has been cancelled but you will need CPI.

Residence cert.

Passport copies.

Blue book.

Few other forms the local DLT will have.

If you are willing to have a crack yourself go to your DLT and ask them whats required.

how do you have a blue book if the car is unregistered in the old province, and not reregistered in a new one.

normally to reregister a vehicle in a new provenience, is a case of taking the vehicle to the new office and them doing all the paperwork, getting new plates taking possession of the old plates, compulsory insurance, checking the vehicles chassis number etc. etc. sometimes a new book is given or in some cases the old book has the number changed to the new one

Edited by steve187

Perfectly normal for an insurance company to offer to do it all for you here in Thailand. 

If you don't trust them go and do yourself at the DLT office of the province that you move to its not that difficult just take all the paperwork that the insurance company wanted. 

7 hours ago, steve187 said:

how do you have a blue book if the car is unregistered in the old province, and not reregistered in a new one.

normally to reregister a vehicle in a new provenience, is a case of taking the vehicle to the new office and them doing all the paperwork, getting new plates taking possession of the old plates, compulsory insurance, checking the vehicles chassis number etc. etc. sometimes a new book is given or in some cases the old book has the number changed to the new one

Im not sure also.. its all a bit confusing to me, dealing with financing that did not speak english or insurance office that not speak english (i not fault them, im in Thailand, i should be better at Thai, not the other way around). but insurance company called DLT which confirmed its been cancelled in old province and i needed to get new plates.

but for the sound of your and other replies, it doesn't sound like its unusual or very risky to let the insurance company deal with this at my behalf.

thanks for your answers