My Lunar-New-Year Tiger Wish for All Pub-Forum Followers Living Here: Can we all agree to put more effort into improving our written and spoken Thai language skills, during the Year of the Tiger?

GammaGlobulin

My Dear Friends,

You might wonder.

You might be nonplussed.

You might ask, for example, HOW do I improve my existence in Thailand, substantially, if only I were willing to put in the effort. Or, maybe you are not one who is willing to improve your life, substantially, being satisfied to lazily drink your youth away at bars, talking to younger things always accosting you, the ones who cannot provide you with sustenance of the soul, but only temporary stimulation.

As you know, years ago, I gave up seeking pleasures of the flesh. And, since then, I have become a much happier man, fuller of excitement for ethereal things. In fact, I have become uplifted and resurrected, after shedding my seamier past, and after turning over a new leaf, thereby nurturing my better side, leading to a new sunnier horizon.

OK.

Here is what you must do if you really wish to feel at home in Thailand, and if you want to live here in a way that will make you happiest. Believe me, because I do know this advice is true. Superficial short-time just will not do it for you, in the long run.

aa. I have been studying passa Thai, for a long while.  However, beginning at the start of this recent hiatus caused by the bug, I stopped, unfortunately; my heart, in quarantine, just wasn’t in it. Also, there was no longer anyone to talk Thai to, too.

So, I wasted two years of Thai language learning, during the past two years, just because I became unmotivated, maybe you might say, down in the dumps, from the perspective of being motivated to learn almost anything, including language learning.

bb.  But now, knowing that this is the year of the Tiger, somehow, I am beginning to feel more invigorated.  Maybe this is the result of my several vaccines, plus, the sound of fireworks beginning to sound overhead.

cc.  During this New Year, I hope that you will reaffirm your dedication to continuing your learning of passa Thai, because, both you and I know that language is a tool that all must use in order to be considered human.

dd.  Two years ago, when this recent thing hit us, I did give up my language learning.  I now realize that I was a complete idiot in doing so.  I just wasted TWO YEARS during which I could have made such good progress.  Yet, such is the pity, my heart was not in it.

ee.  I want to say two things:

1.        To all the guys (also women) who have, like I, given up learning passa Thai, day by day, during the past two years, …. Let us Get Going, again, and try to make up for lost time in our language acquisition goals.

2.       To all the guys who are over 50, maybe even over 70, there is NO age at which good progress at language learning cannot be made. If you are breathing out CO2 and inhaling O2, then you are probably young enough to learn passa Thai.

ff. Truly, it has been stated that, if you wish to enjoy your stay in Thailand, to the fullest, then there is no better way to accomplish this, other than to put more effort into improving your mastery of the Thai language, both spoken and written. So, don’t be lazy if you want to reap very significant rewards.

gg.  Well, anyway, originally, I just had this very short Lunar New Year’s wish for both you and me.

I hope that some of us will make some sort of binding and enduring Lunar New Year’s resolution to work far harder, this year, to improve our Thai language skills, and thereby improve ourselves, as Human Beings, beings with the gift of language, unique among all primates, and to not “let down” our lessor cousins, the primates who look up to us, as speaking beings.

There are truly so very many everyday benefits which result from learning to speak and read the Thai language.

Learning to speak an L2 is not easy. Yet, if you plan to live in a new country, then the effort is worth it, and is repaid, manifold.

Not to mention, there are actually many of us who enjoy learning a new language, even a dead language, just because we love languages.

In posting this topic, I sincerely hope that I will provide motivation for myself, and, equally, YOU, to redouble your Thai language-learning attempts during this impending year of the Tiger, which is such an auspicious year, almost as auspicious as the year of the dragon, though not quite.

I mistakenly thought that 2022 might be the year of the dragon, but it is not.

2022 is the year of the Tiger….

Don’t waste your time, this year.  IMPROVE your Thai language skills; your time will not be wasted. Absolutely.

This is my wish for all who read these words.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Isaanlife

You like learning a language, good for you.

Others like 1000's of other things.

I would guess girls and beer rank right up there.

A person does NOT substantially improve their life speaking Thai. They don't even speak Thai where I live so I must be <deleted>, right?

Darn it. My life will not substantially improve. Now what can I do? Am I doomed?

Lunar New Year's Wish.

I hope everyone can stay healthy. Without good health, you have nothing.

5 minutes ago, Isaanlife said:

You like learning a language, good for you.

Others like 1000's of other things.

I would guess girls and beer rank right up there.

A person does NOT substantially improve their life speaking Thai. They don't even speak Thai where I live so I must be <deleted>, right?

Darn it. My life will not substantially improve. Now what can I do? Am I doomed?

Lunar New Year's Wish.

I hope everyone can stay healthy. Without good health, you have nothing.

OK.

Obviously, you should do the things that improve your life.

I cannot speak for what might or might not improve your life.

However, generalizing, those who live in Thailand will, in most cases, benefit from learning passa Thai, one might imagine.

I cannot understand how learning Thai might not lead to more empowerment, for example, for farang, in Thailand.

I could be wrong.

If so, if I might be mistaken in this, then....my apologies.

Guest Isaanlife
58 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK.

Obviously, you should do the things that improve your life.

I cannot speak for what might or might not improve your life.

However, generalizing, those who live in Thailand will, in most cases, benefit from learning passa Thai, one might imagine.

I cannot understand how learning Thai might not lead to more empowerment, for example, for farang, in Thailand.

I could be wrong.

If so, if I might be mistaken in this, then....my apologies.

Even if you speak Thai, how are you empowered exactly?

Will speaking Thai guarantee anything?

Communicating in Thai can make life easier, but it does not empower any extra benefits in real terms

Used to think you were half pie alright now your preaching at the members about what "they should do" how they should live or what will make their life better is a joke. Everyone's Thailand's experience is different and totally subjective and the absolute worst thing is some pillock trying to tell you how if you do what they say your life in Thailand will be better.

Give it a rest mate go back to your non sensical ramblings about yourself and don't concern yourself with other people's reality. 

And 100% learning a language completely as you get older is much harder anyone that says otherwise is a fool. In truth the ability declines significantly in your 20s .

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/at-what-age-does-our-ability-to-learn-a-new-language-like-a-native-speaker-disappear/

Edited by starky