Dental implants - Worth it or Not?

ThailandRyan

So as the title of the OP indicates I want to know from those that have gone the dental implant route if the cost was worth the product and the benefits a full restoration can have.  Long story short I have about 6 crowns and need a few more due to grinding of my teeth, as I have worn and cracked these pearly whites, even wearing a night guard.  Today I actually cracked and broke one of the porcelain crowns in half, not that it will affect much except chewing as it is a molar on the upper right.  I have had a few appointments with my dentist at BNH hospital in Bangkok and upon my return from the States need to make a final decision.  Obviously its a combination of the time entailed and the cost.

Let me know what those of you who have gone the route to a full mouth set of implants.  I know it will take the better part of 6 months to a year to complete the process.  I am under 60 so I do have plenty of time to enjoy the new gnashers.....  

• Like 2

Definitely worth it, but pricey. At least it was in the US, I don't know about Thailand. I got an upper right side molar implant, to replace a fractured tooth that was pulled. Opted for the implant vs a bridge. That was 4 years ago, very happy with it today, no issues. Would definitely repeat if needed. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Travis179 said:

Definitely worth it, but pricey. At least it was in the US, I don't know about Thailand

I've had seven. Cost in Chiang Mai was about 1/3 US price. Quality at least as good. 

Sometimes extras are required e.g. bone graft, sinus lift. 

I'm very pleased with all of them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Full mouth job is a daunting and painful experience not to mention pricey, if you mean the All on 4 implants a full mouth can cost into several hundreds thousands baht, also you will have to endure a period of swollen face, unable to eat and a strange feeling that you have something strange in your mouth and the shape of your face will change as well and much more, make sure your dentist know what they are doing and tells you exactly what is going to happen...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 2

You are assuming you can have implants. Teeth fall out for a reason. If they fell out as abused with sweets and sugar then implants are ok, if they fell out as you are a heavy smoker or natural bone loss then you cannot have them without bone grafting - which wont last that long I wold imagine if you carry on smoking or have bone loss in your dna !

I have a small front denture, dentist asked if I was a heavy smoker, and I do not smoke. just unlucky dna i guess

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Long story short I have about 6 crowns and need a few more due to grinding of my teeth, as I have worn and cracked these pearly whites, even wearing a night guard. 

You'll have the same crowns on your implants....you'll keep cracking them too

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

You are assuming you can have implants. Teeth fall out for a reason. If they fell out as abused with sweets and sugar then implants are ok, if they fell out as you are a heavy smoker or natural bone loss then you cannot have them without bone grafting - which wont last that long I wold imagine if you carry on smoking or have bone loss in your dna !

I have a small front denture, dentist asked if I was a heavy smoker, and I do not smoke. just unlucky dna i guess

Not a smoker or a heavy drinker, teeth are worn down from grinding and chewing ice.  Had a very stressful 31 year career in LE and the Military prior.  Teeth have always been well taken care of seeing the dentist twice yearly for cleanings and then wearing a mouth guard at night.  Always had the teeth fixed or repaired as I cracked or chipped them.  Only have 4 total cavities in my mouth.  However the entire top plate and bottom plate are worn down to the dentin and they can no longer keep bonding over the tops.  I need the rear Molars replaced as they are the ones that I have crowns on, no posts or root canals have been performed.  Started with Botox treatments for the jaw muscles just before I returned to the US to take care of family business.

I will see my dentist in the next few weeks and get the low down on doing a few at a time........

Edited by ThailandRyan

I had two implants -- total cost implant + crown was 110,000, although I was quoted prices much higher than that at the big, touristy clinics.  I didn't have the bone grafts, which kept the cost down.  The implants are better than dentures or having two missing teeth and supposedly will last a lifetime if you take care of them. I can eat normally and the face looks normal as well so for me it was worth it.