Online crime in Thailand goes through the roof - RTP set up special reporting system

webfact

3pm.jpg

Picture Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that online crime in Thailand was sky-rocketing with more than 10,000 cases since the start of last year.

Thai PM Prayuth Chan-ocha - who oversees the police - has demanded action from the RTP and its leader Pol Gen Suwat Chaengyodsuk has made it a priority.

Public awareness has been created about the dangers online, said the media, something that Suwat has mysteriously called "Cyber Vaccine".

Yesterday Pol Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat, RTP deputy and head of the PCT or Police Cyber Taskforce that tackles online crime spoke to the press. 

He said that since January 1st last year until now there had been 10,818 cases and 10,584 arrests with losses running into the billions of baht.

He warned the public to beware and announced a new online reporting system at www.thaipoliceonline.com.

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-19

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said that since January 1st last year until now there had been 10,818 cases and 10,584 arrests with losses running into the billions of baht.

Math isn't my strongest subject but somehow I think those numbers might need a closer look at...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ezzra said:

No wonder, many been staying at home because of the Covid and with not much to do the minds are working over time toward nefarious thoughts and deeds...

Previously unrecorded crimes, and perpetrators moving their scams online due to the pandemic and restrictions, encountering a cyber taskforce rather than your average sleepy cop, giving the impression that 'overall crime is up'...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Not just Thailand, as the 'online' industry, especially banking / CC will never admit how widespread the problem really is.

I just got sent a new CC, as was informed my CC was 'compromised'.  Actually I didn't even know it, as it's a card I don't use.  I have 2 cards (debits) / seperate accounts at same broker, and was expecting both to be replaced, but only the 1 that I don't use was.  So it wasn't my info or on my end use, that got hacked.  

The 1 card I use, for ATM withdrawals here, since fee free, wasn't the issue.  Hmm ... does make you wonder.   Also why many CC don't work with Asian vendors, as their encryption isn't up to snuff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai PM Prayuth Chan-ocha - who oversees the police - has demanded action from the RTP and its leader Pol Gen Suwat Chaengyodsuk has made it a priority.

Wasn't Prayut the guy that encouraged "Go Digital" ?

It just goes to show how different thai's are in the way they think.

A thai will go to no end to think of ways of manipulating, cheating and conjuring up any plausible excuse to extract money from farangs,  yet here we have the other side that will part with money at the drop of a hat because they are so gullible and easily taken for a ride. 

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not just Thailand, as the 'online' industry, especially banking / CC will never admit how widespread the problem really is.

I just got sent a new CC, as was informed my CC was 'compromised'.  Actually I didn't even know it, as it's a card I don't use.  I have 2 cards (debits) / seperate accounts at same broker, and was expecting both to be replaced, but only the 1 that I don't use was.  So it wasn't my info or on my end use, that got hacked.  

The 1 card I use, for ATM withdrawals here, since fee free, wasn't the issue.  Hmm ... does make you wonder.   Also why many CC don't work with Asian vendors, as their encryption isn't up to snuff.

I do online banking at home and not outside with a mobile phone . I have read that it is dangerous to do any money business if near free WiFi as some phones automatically leave your paid for service and connect to the free WiFi and most people will not notice it . You are them exposed to scammers . 

1 hour ago, superal said:

I do online banking at home and not outside with a mobile phone . I have read that it is dangerous to do any money business if near free WiFi as some phones automatically leave your paid for service and connect to the free WiFi and most people will not notice it . You are them exposed to scammers . 

You have read this where?

One major problem is that many people believe anything which is posted on the internet.

22 hours ago, superal said:

Only if set up to behave that way. You can most certainly restrict your phone from Wi-Fi connections you do not ant to use. Whether the network internet connection is secure may be another matter for discussion. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Only if set up to behave that way. You can most certainly restrict your phone from Wi-Fi connections you do not ant to use. Whether the network internet connection is secure may be another matter for discussion. 

I have to admit that I am no expert in this field , actually quite the opposite , however I am quoting other more informed friends info . Could it possibly be that if you have once visited a shop/cafe  and have used their given password for the WiFi , then the subsequent visits to that shop , your phone will recognise the service and connect automatically ?

Whatever the above outcome do you agree that it is not a good idea to conduct sensitive transactions using commercial WiFi ?

1 hour ago, superal said:

I have to admit that I am no expert in this field , actually quite the opposite , however I am quoting other more informed friends info . Could it possibly be that if you have once visited a shop/cafe  and have used their given password for the WiFi , then the subsequent visits to that shop , your phone will recognise the service and connect automatically ?

Whatever the above outcome do you agree that it is not a good idea to conduct sensitive transactions using commercial WiFi ?

Very true if you have ticked the box which says it can.  WI-Fi can be turned off too. Think before you use any old Wi-Fi connection.

• Thanks 1

On a related note, online sales are absolutely booming given the situation. If you've got any lazy young people in your village, such as returned bargirls, one could inform of this.

One grandpa down our soi finally had enough of his granddaughter and gave her the boot. Heh. There had been a job and room with a friend waiting for her in town. Nearly every shop there that sells whatever, clothing, farm supplies, pet supplies, baby stuff, has converted to online selling. They can't enough people to pack. Then the Kerry and Flash Express can't get enough people to sort through the packages.

Maybe instead of an online reporting line which no doubt will be totally ignored they should just admit they want to see more "Tip" boxes.  It seems receipt of money is the only motivation they have for getting of their sorry back sides and doing something.