Mai Sai Visa Run

I want to do a run at Mai Sai in 2 wks and re-enter with a visa on arrival (will take my onward air ticket from Thailand with me!).

What transport options are there to get from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai; either companies taking travellers to the border purely for the visa run or public buses, taxis etc.?

Do you just walk over and come back? What is the fee to get into Burma, are there any requirements e.g. photos..?

Thanks!

I want to do a run at Mai Sai in 2 wks and re-enter with a visa on arrival (will take my onward air ticket from Thailand with me!).

What transport options are there to get from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai; either companies taking travellers to the border purely for the visa run or public buses, taxis etc.?

Do you just walk over and come back? What is the fee to get into Burma, are there any requirements e.g. photos..?

Thanks!

Hello

Have a look at the following thread on the Chiang Mai forum, I think that it will answer your question.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124629

Regards :o

Thanks!

I usually take a Van that sits anywhere between 6 to 8 people. It picks you up from your place of residence around ~8am and returns your around ~5pm later that day. It arrives in Mae Sai around 12pm.

Don't recall the company I use off hand but I'm heading up there again myself so I'll get you a name. Cost around 500baht. You should be able to find some travel companies around that offer this service for a similar price.

Once the van drops you off you have about one hour to do your business. Just cross the border on foot and wait in a small line. Pay 500 baht and get your Burma stamp. Then just hop on back over to Thailand the same way you came in. I'm sorry if I'm not being detailed enough but once you get there you'll figure it out. They've never required photos in the past nor an onward air ticket. Hope that helps some.

Thanks guys, but :

Does anyone know where to get the contact details of the company to book the pick up in CHIANG RAI?

I'd like to book my seat before leaving Bangkok!

There's no need to use a company. Just go to the main bus station in Chiang Rai, public busses leave every 30 minutes approx. Costs 47 baht and takes 90 minutes to get to Mae Sai bus station. Get a songtaew from there to the border for 8 baht, takes 10 minutes.

Pay 500 baht and get your Burma stamp.

BTW, Burma immigration also accept (seem to prefer?) US$10 - which works out to be about 350 baht. Just make sure the bill(s) you pay with are a] the current US issue i.e. not the old style and b] clean and unmarked. I once had a problem when I tried to pay in US$1 bills and they handed back four which were old-style - I made up the difference with 200 baht; on that same trip, another visa-runner had a new US$10 bill rejected - just because it had a tiny red inkstain at one edge.