Law & culture - Is Mandate 2 still law in Thailand?

rose33

Hello friends,

Thai Cultural Mandate #2, 'On preventing danger to the nation', was issued on 3 July 1939. My question - Is it still law in Thailand?

(Yes, I know about the 2014 '12 Core Values'. That's NOT what I'm asking.).

Thank you team

• Confused 2

Interesting question, seems like the answer so far is...

"Many of the practices initiated in the mandates were a result of Thailand entering World War II, and remain in effect."

Mandate 2

On preventing danger to the nation, issued 3 July 1939, consisted of five items:

1. "Thai people must not engage in any business without considering the benefit and safety of the nation."
  2. "Thai people must never reveal anything to foreigners that might damage the nation. These actions are a betrayal of the nation."
  3. "Thai people must not act as agent or spokesman for foreigners without considering the benefit of the Thai nation, and must not express opinion or take the side of foreigners in international disputes. These actions are a betrayal of the nation."
  4. "Thai people must not secretly purchase land on behalf of foreigners in a way that endangers the nation. These actions are a betrayal of the nation."
  5. "When a person has betrayed the nation, it is the duty of Thai people to actively and quickly put a stop to it."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, I also saw that on wikipedia. Hence the question in here!

Unfortunately I don't know how to confirm the status of specific Thai legislation (e.g., in force/repealed/amended, etc.). Someone on this forum will know how, or know someone who does.

Ah yes, Field Marshall Pibul. Helped with the 1932 '"event" then usurped that group. Changed country name. Taken hostage during the Manhattan Rebellion. Died in exile in Japan, only allowed to return as ashes.

Are you certain that these were ever codified as "laws"? My guess is that they are not as they would have to have been royally approved and that wouldn't have happened.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:48 AM, rose33 said:

Is it still law in Thailand?

So, no.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Are you certain that these were ever codified as "laws"? My guess is that they are not as they would have to have been royally approved and that wouldn't have happened.

They were published in the Royal Gazette, which use to be approval.

16 hours ago, rose33 said:

Unfortunately I don't know how to confirm the status of specific Thai legislation (e.g., in force/repealed/amended, etc.). Someone on this forum will know how, or know someone who does.

If you find out outside of this forum, please share the result...:jap:

19 hours ago, khunPer said:

They were published in the Royal Gazette, which use to be approval.

Oh, right. Rama 7 abdicated in 1941, for some reason I thought it was earlier.

I have zero expertise but suspect these sorts of decrees are not codified specifically in thai law. There are probably other laws, there always are here, which are broad enough to cover the topics: Sections 113-118...

Section Code: 0113 - 0118
Criminal Code

SPECIFIC OFFENSES
TITLE I
OFFENCES RELATING TO THE SECURITY OF THE KINGDOM