Obtaining a degree in Thai

Bucyf

Hi All! I think about applying to university in Thailand in a few years, so I would like to know what's required to submit. I know that colleges in USA reqire me to write and submit personal statement (or admission essay), but I can't find relevant information on Thai institutions requirements.

• Confused 1

I'm wondering why would one want to?

I do get the idea of teaching at University here (I considered it for a short time) as that would be great fun but Thai language is really required to be able to engage in anything but shallow dialectic.

But I wonder why would one want a degree from a Thai university as they don't stack up very highly in Western countries.

Not my criteria, just reflecting what is.

If I had a desire to study a degree (got a few and no way do I want to do any of that again ... I kinda enjoy being academically somnolent now lol ????) while living here I'd explore something from a great university that offers distance learning e.g  ANU in Canberra Oz, Sydney, Macquarie, or Curtin Uni to name a few. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Wow! Chula seems to take dual pricing to extremes.

- Tuition and Academic Fee Two regular semesters:  25,500 baht (Thai)/79,500 baht (non-Thai).

- One summer session:  6,375 baht (Thai)/44,630 baht (non-Thai).

https://bsac.chemcu.org/prospective-students/

It seems that in the UK there is, as well, a double (or multi ?) pricing scheme for Uni Tuition Fees: 1 for locals and 1 for international students

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Oxx said:

- Tuition and Academic Fee Two regular semesters:  25,500 baht (Thai)/79,500 baht (non-Thai).

If you want to see double pricing of colleges, go to USA private/or state colleges - for in state are fairly payable but when you do 10 times that amount for someone from another state or from international even though you or your child may be a US citizen, they pay the higher prices.  All the colleges usually put a clause that they will work with anyone to get a lowering of the tuition but room and board is an extra 10-20 thousand, books, labs, etc.  Costs are unbelievable and can see now why so many stupid people listened to Obama and Co. going for those liberal arts degrees and now no jobs other than Mickey D's available to pay back those hundreds of thousand dollar

loans!  last report I saw when the Democrats wanted to forgive $50K of those loans was this debt itself is over a trillion USD! and most likely will never be paid back!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'm wondering why would one want to?

I do get the idea of teaching at University here (I considered it for a short time) as that would be great fun but Thai language is really required to be able to engage in anything but shallow dialectic.

But I wonder why would one want a degree from a Thai university as they don't stack up very highly in Western countries.

Not my criteria, just reflecting what is.

If I had a desire to study a degree (got a few and no way do I want to do any of that again ... I kinda enjoy being academically somnolent now lol ????) while living here I'd explore something from a great university that offers distance learning e.g  ANU in Canberra Oz, Sydney, Macquarie, or Curtin Uni to name a few. 

Many points in your post are not really correct.

Re: " I do get the idea of teaching at University here (I considered it for a short time) as that would be great fun but Thai language is really required to be able to engage in anything but shallow dialectic." 

There are many Thai universities which offer courses in English (bachelor and masters degrees), and in many such programs there a few to many international students who expect a teaching level comparable with their home countries. 

Ninety nine% of these International students come from Unis abroad who have visited and evaluated the content and teaching of these courses at specific Thai unis before they give permission for their students to attend a semester or several at that Thai uni.

Even more to the point 'approval to attend' by the home uni also means that whatever credits are earned in Thailand will be recognised in their final GPA / completion of all reqired courses (by subject area and in terms of total number of courses required. Obviously studenst from abroad won't attend if they aren't going to get credits.

Some unis abroad also insist on receiving a full CV of the foreign (and sometimes Thai) lecturer and a list of courses taught previously by the lecturer who will present a specific course and copies of all the teaching materials that will be used, and details of how grades are constructed, etc., etc. 

I've been there / done that at several Thai Unis in many courses and participated in lecturer swaps with a uni in Singapore and in Shanghai (which are very highly credible institutions).

So don't be too quick to say there's no quality.  

• Like 2

pivoting back to more of the initial question...

It really depends on the university and the program.

Unlike some other countries that attract hundreds of thousands of “international” students to their universities and colleges, the market here isn’t nearly as big.  Outside of the major universities, it’s not uncommon for there to be little if any mention about applications by non-citizens..

that said, a few common issues I’ve seen is that you’ll (understandably so) have to prove you hold the relevant preparatory degree(s), for example, that you hold a recognized Bachelors degree of the right type as a prerequisite of enrollment into a Masters level program etc… some will also insist you take and show a minimum English proficiency score as some programs are essentially english taught ..: there can also be a Thai language proficiency IF the program you’ll enter is essentially Thai taught..  A few places I know do ask for an in-person interview by department faculty or admissions faculty and that can also involve a writing example as well.

As noted earlier, the costs for a foreign-applicants can be amazingly high when compared to the fee structure for citizen-applicants… but that’s an issue that i suspect is common, but not absolute, worldwide to varying degrees. 

Overall, from what I’ve seen, the process seems pretty straight forward but it also seems that outside of the major universities, it’s just not that common to get a foreigner seeking to enroll… this isn’t to say you can’t, but that you might have to go and “dig” around in person or the like to find out. 

I have one colleague, a western person, who is an active Masters degree student here, at the end of his first year, and kind of watched his application and enrollment process and what it entailed, the logistics and such forth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Thai language is really required to be able to engage in anything but shallow dialectic.

Because I'm always stuck when debating with Thais how many angels can dance on the head of a pin or was Kierkegaard a greater philosopher than Schopenhauer - because I think not.

Yeah, always get stuck when having such conversations with Thais...you as well huh?

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

you should check out the dual pricing in the USA - - in state/out of state... 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 3:07 AM, Bucyf said:

Hi All! I think about applying to university in Thailand in a few years, so I would like to know what's required to submit. I know that colleges in USA reqire me to write and submit personal statement (or admission essay), but I can't find relevant information on Thai institutions requirements.

Check out the link below and select the "Admission" tab.  Payap University has an international school where all classes are taught in English (their is also degree programs for Thai students separate from the international classes).  This university is located in Chiang Mai, northern Thailand.  Good luck.

https://ic.payap.ac.th/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know that my question might seem a bit silly, I do research alone and check the universities' requirements myself, but I would also like to talk to someone who've already gone this path. 

UPD: I was advised to consider studying in another country, so now I want to study in USA, but the problem with the personal statement remains. I think I found a good guide on writing this paper here, but I still doubt my skills...

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2022 at 4:22 PM, Oxx said:

Dont spread racism.

American, Australian, British, Canadian, Universities charge 4 to 5 times fee from foreigners 

10 hours ago, DrJoy said:

American, Australian, British, Canadian, Universities charge 4 to 5 times fee from foreigners 

Chula is a private university, not a public one, so there's no rational reason for such dual pricing.  The universities to which you allude are public ones, so the fees of native students are subsidised by the state.

• 1 month later...

Ham , eggs , sausages , hash browns , beans , mushrooms , toast and coffee with orange juice for breakfast a lot more expensive than Khao Neeo moo ping. Spread this over a term then factor in 2 other daily meals and it mounts up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 9:11 PM, DrJoy said:

Dont spread racism.

But at least you get a top class world leading degree in those other places. And for the Thai apologists that will now chirp up then find the Thai Uni  in this list. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_university_affiliation

Edited by Excel

On 3/26/2022 at 7:52 PM, Oxx said:

So are western universities. Nothing unfair about this dual pricing.

Screenshot 2022-05-26 10.20.32.png

Screenshot 2022-05-26 10.20.41.png

Edited by mvdf

dual pricing

For the OP:

My university (big name, not privately owned by a rich family) charges the local fees not the international fees due to having a pink Thai ID card.

I am classed as a local student, so no option for an Ed visa, but I don't want or need that anyway, and only need to pay the local fees. 

This saves 100,000s THB over the 4 years.

So try to get a yellow house book, which then allows you to get the pink Thai ID card, before applying. Different district offices have different rules for getting them. 

• Haha 1

I remember when I studied at Chula about 14 years ago or so. I studied for an MA in Thai Culture.  The fees for foreign students were indeed very expensive.  But there was also an extra crazy charge if you actually wanted a degree certificate to prove that you had passed the course!  I was studying for (expensive) fun ????  So  I studied the course, but never graduated because I wasn't willing to pay the certificate fee.  Instead, all I got was a bit of paper confirming that I had 'studied some courses' at Chula!!

On 4/9/2022 at 7:22 AM, Oxx said:

Chula is a private university, not a public one, so there's no rational reason for such dual pricing.  The universities to which you allude are public ones, so the fees of native students are subsidised by the state.

Since when has Chula been a private university? It became autonomous but is still a public university.