AoT Affirms Sincerity To Rectify Runways And Taxiways At Suvarnabhumi

Mr. Totrakul affirms his sincerity to rectify runways and taxiways of Suvarnabhumi Airport

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) board member, Mr. Tortrakul Yomnak, has affirmed his sincerity to solve the problems concerning the damaged runways and taxiways of Suvarnabhumi Airport while reiterating that he never has any intention to get involved in corruption.

Mr. Tortrakul, who is also the chairman of the subcommittee responsible for investigating the runways and taxiways of Suvarnabhumi Airport, led a team of engineers to clarify the investigation progress as the work has not advanced as anticipated. Mr. Tortrakul says he is working transparently and has never taken bribes as rumored. He later read the Engineering Declaration with tears while confirming to push forward his tasks. The renovation of damaged runways and taxiways is more than 70 percent complete.

In response to Admiral Bannawit Kengrien, the chairman of the National Legislative Assembly's airport committee who urges Mr. Tortrakul to take responsibility by resigning from the post, Mr. Tortrakul denies to talk about the issue.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 June 2007

What the National News Bureau doesn't say here is that Mr. Totrakul affirmed during the same press conference that he has been subjected to pressures from "someone" to "use Suvarnabhumi problems to discredit Thaksin", when he wrote his report on the assessment of the damage to the runways and taxiways in January-February 2007.

Mr. Totrakul's own opinion, backed by the airlines of Star Alliance, is that the cracks were minor and fixable without compromising safety.

He chose to do his job as an engineer rather than yielding to the pressure, and is now under further pressure from admiral Bannawit and general Saprang to resign. Hence his tears and his reading of the Engineering Declaration (ethics of the engineer).

The news was broadcasted by Channel 7 on 15/06/2007:

http://www.ch7.com/news/sbnews.aspx?NwType...No=980&Hw=N

http://www.dailymotion.com/bantarok/video/3827177

It's a tragedy that so many supported the right-wing junta in their intimidation of the press on this issue. Remember the anti-Thaksin brigades assertion that 747s were going to be dropping into large "cracks". Did one? Any damage at all? These right-wingers will believe anything if it sustains their belief in "military knows all" and "democracy is the enemy". Well, many Germans went along with what Hitler said about the Jews as well. History repeats itself...

Mr. Totrakul affirms his sincerity to rectify runways and taxiways of Suvarnabhumi Airport

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) board member, Mr. Tortrakul Yomnak, has affirmed his sincerity to solve the problems concerning the damaged runways and taxiways of Suvarnabhumi Airport while reiterating that he never has any intention to get involved in corruption.

Mr. Tortrakul, who is also the chairman of the subcommittee responsible for investigating the runways and taxiways of Suvarnabhumi Airport, led a team of engineers to clarify the investigation progress as the work has not advanced as anticipated. Mr. Tortrakul says he is working transparently and has never taken bribes as rumored. He later read the Engineering Declaration with tears while confirming to push forward his tasks. The renovation of damaged runways and taxiways is more than 70 percent complete.

In response to Admiral Bannawit Kengrien, the chairman of the National Legislative Assembly's airport committee who urges Mr. Tortrakul to take responsibility by resigning from the post, Mr. Tortrakul denies to talk about the issue.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 June 2007

As the job is 70% done can we now have our domestic flights back from Don Muang ?

Went up to Khon Kaen for one night last week from Bangkok. Sure was a lot easier to use Don Muang than the new airport. Don Muang is pretty shabby all right and there's no Starbucks, but the commute on the tollway is a lot easier and the flight shorter.

Went up to Khon Kaen for one night last week from Bangkok. Sure was a lot easier to use Don Muang than the new airport. Don Muang is pretty shabby all right and there's no Starbucks, but the commute on the tollway is a lot easier and the flight shorter.

This is fine when you start from the city but when you are in transit from/to overseas......

This is fine when you start from the city but when you are in transit from/to overseas......

Quite right you are. Looking at the passengers on the plane to Khon Kaen, it was obviously harder for the passengers tranferring from the new airport to Don Muang. Those two were inconvenienced to some extent; the rest of us weren't at all. Almost all of the passengers on these flights are Thais on short trips to and from Bangkok and farangs doing the same.

Do it all over the world during my travels. Change planes and airports is not uncommon to make it to your final destination short/long haul. Didn't the English come up with this system?

I arrived at Suvanaphum Wednesday morning, after five days en route via Moscow, and just couldn't see taking land transport to Mochit bus station, and ten hours on a bus. So I paid 1950 baht and got to Chiang Mai by noon. I'm glad there are a few dometic flights at the new airport; more would be better.

Do it all over the world during my travels. Change planes and airports is not uncommon to make it to your final destination short/long haul. Didn't the English come up with this system?

The English have it very well organized and of you fly in long haul into Heathrow you can reach most domestic destinations from the same airport.

I do not see the logic of having a few domestic destinations from a secondary airport in Bangkok.

If all domestic destinations were served from both then why not.

logic , you say .......................

'tis nothing to do with logic ,

one became two when it was finally realised that the shinny new toy couldn't cope whilst in reduced capacity mode to facilitate repairs .

For those of us who live in Thailand, and not connecting to international flights, Don Muang is definitely better, faster, more convenient in and out of central BKK. I buy those family platinum cards on one2go as we come and go between Phuket and BKK a lot, and always only choose Don Muang. However, I do understand the inefficiencies of this for Thai Airways. Thai should keep all their flights at the new airport.

logic , you say .......................

'tis nothing to do with logic ,

one became two when it was finally realised that the shinny new toy couldn't cope whilst in reduced capacity mode to facilitate repairs .

OK point taken for the logic of needing to do it during the repair time but then bring them back to the original plan asap.

It is a pain to have to transfer between the 2 airports to make a connection or worse having to spend a night

Remember that the reason for re-opening Don Muang had to do with the fact that it is owned by the Air Force and they miss the income. You have to remember that the Air Force in Thailand is not just a military organization. It is the dominant political party in national politics at the moment.

For those of us who live in Thailand, and not connecting to international flights, Don Muang is definitely better, faster, more convenient in and out of central BKK. I buy those family platinum cards on one2go as we come and go between Phuket and BKK a lot, and always only choose Don Muang. However, I do understand the inefficiencies of this for Thai Airways. Thai should keep all their flights at the new airport.

I'm really curious about how much faster you think DMK is than BKK? I've been to both many times, and find it takes virtually the same time to get to either even though DMK is closer than is BKK. I've timed my trips by my watch and on average BKK is actually a minute or two faster. I realize it depends somewhat on where you live and what time of day you travel, but don't see how anyone living in central Bangkok would find any significant time difference in getting to one or the other. DMK did seem to be quicker to me the first times I went to Suvarnabhumi, but that was simply because Suvarnabhumi was a new route that I wasn't familiar with. If I take the same route over and over again, it doesn't seem as long to me as if I travel the exact same amount of time on a new route. Not sure exactly why that is, but probably due to the fact that once I'm familiar with a route I know precisely where I am and how much longer it will take at each stage, whereas on a new route I keep thinking to myself, "aren't we there yet?" which makes it seem longer. There are tollways all the way to both DMK and to BKK, so why would the tollways to DMK be easier? I find the road access at the actual airports to be much superior at BKK than at DMK, and the "tollway" at BKK is actually free for quite a distance, which allows me to utilize that and then get off before the first toll booth during light traffic conditions.

The crowds are definitely less at DMK than they were at BKK before the changeover, but after the changeover I find both pleasant with respect to no more long queues. Thus no advantage to either in that respect.

The distance from check-in to the gates is definitely much further at BKK than at DMK, but for me the difference is only five minutes vs. one minute. Add onto that a few additional minutes of waiting at DMK due to long lines at the centralized security checkpoint, and the time is approximately the same.

Why would the flight to Khon Kaen be shorter at DMK than from BKK? The actual flying distance I believe is almost identical. I've flown numerous domestic flights out of both airports, including to Khon Kaen and I always keep track of how long the flight is, how long from gate to take-off, etc., etc. On average there is no real difference in flight time for me.

For strictly domestic travel, I actually prefer BKK, at least the way it is now, simply because it's a newer airport with better facilities. Ignoring that, I think I'd consider them pretty much the same as far as convenience and ease in getting to / through. Of course for international connections there's absolutely no contest and BKK is way preferred over DMK.

Soju,

On a good day I agree with you. Nothing wrong with the new airport despite what the coup-mongers say. On a bad day that Bang Na expressway can be a nightmare.

The flight from the North is shorter more in time than distance. A puddle-jumper usually has a back-up of planes to deal with coming into the new airport and again on the ground.

Well I guess I'm lucky then and have always hit BKK on good days. I have made the trip at all times of the day and night, but the vast majority of trips have been very late at night or early in the morning when there is almost no traffic on the expressway getting to/from BKK. Hopefully my luck will continue and I won't have a bad day from BKK. Over the years I did have a few of those bad days traveling to DMK, and it wasn't a lot of fun.

I've never experienced long delays in the air or on the ground at BKK or at DMK. Usually there is almost no waiting in the air, certainly nothing compared to major airports in the US or Europe. At most I've had very minor delays in the air. Likewise on the ground never much of a wait for other planes there either. Again, maybe it has to do with me being lucky or the times I normally travel at.

I haven't flown enough out of DMK since it became domestic only, so you may be right about the air traffic making it a bit faster on average, but I doubt it's anything significant for most commercial flights. I think the key factor for me in deciding which airport to use would be the airline, perhaps the cost, and the flight schedule and how well it fits into my own schedule. Those factors would be overriding factors as opposed to if I could save 15 minutes at one airport vs. the other.

Sorry, I'd forgotten you're a pilot and fly your own private plane. I was piloting a puddle-jumper as you, rather than traveling on a commercial flight, then I'd likely be in total agreement with you in preferring DMK over BKK.

Soju,

Perhaps some of the attractiveness of DMK over BKK is that Loooong walk to and from the gates. That's got to be the most annoying airport in Asia. I guess the designers didn't visit Hong Kong or Singapore before deciding on THAT design.

In terms of actual ground travel time, we tend to take late evening flights, and to and from DMK is quicker for us, but we do live in Sathorn area, so it is a straight shot on the tollway to Rama IV exit.

Soju,

Perhaps some of the attractiveness of DMK over BKK is that Loooong walk to and from the gates. That's got to be the most annoying airport in Asia. I guess the designers didn't visit Hong Kong or Singapore before deciding on THAT design.

In terms of actual ground travel time, we tend to take late evening flights, and to and from DMK is quicker for us, but we do live in Sathorn area, so it is a straight shot on the tollway to Rama IV exit.

I agree it is a long distance to and from the gates. But if you use the travelators, there isn't much of a walk. I enjoy walking, so I don't mind it one bit. Have you actually timed how long it takes you from check-in to your gate at both airports? If so, what is the difference in time for you? I have and there isn't that much of a difference on average. Even if you stand on the travelators because you don't like to walk, it shouldn't take you more than five minutes more at BKK. I know why you don't like it and why many complain about the walk being so far...it's because other airports typically don't have such a long distance to the gates and so it starts to seem like the walk goes on forever. IMHO it's actually not really that far but it's far enough that it just seems that way, especially the first few times you go there. After having been through Suvarnabhumi over 50 times, I no longer find anything exceptional about the distance. It may take me a few extra minutes, but when I add up the time for my entire trip and compare it to DMK there really isn't enough of a difference to worry about.

Regarding the time it takes to get to/from DMK, have you ever actually timed it and compared it to the time it takes to get to BKK at the same time of day? If so, what are your times? If I'd never actually timed it, I would guess that DMK was faster. But in actually timing it I find that for me, coming from mid-Sukhumvit, BKK is a tiny bit faster even though a little further distance. My guess is that there is a bit greater distance differential between DMK and BKK for you, so you'd probably find DMK a bit faster than BKK, but I would think it wouldn't be more than a couple minutes on average if you're making the trip in the late evening and there isn't much traffic.

I'm not trying to dispute that DMK is quicker for you, I'm just trying to get some actual numbers on how much quicker it really is because I've seen numerous comments about this but haven't been able to see any real difference myself in actual timing the trips. So I wonder if some of the people just think it's faster (as I did) based on their feeling rather than actually timing it. Also do you know what the actual distance is to both airports in taking the expressways to both? The difference in distance should be some indication of the maximum difference in time possible for traveling during light traffic conditions.