Foreign Child in a Thai School

allane

I've had a conversation with a foreigner who is considering whether to come to Thailand to work as a teacher.  I am not talking about someone who would be working at an international school.  In all likelihood, she would be working at a normal Thai government or private K - 12 school.

Here is the issue:  She has a 4 1/2 yr. old daughter who will turn 6 in Aug. 2023, so ready to start Grade 1 in May 2024.

Here are my questions on her behalf:

1. Can a foreign child attend an ordinary Thai government school, if beginning in Grade 1 ?

2.  Might the answer be different if the school is a private one ?  I'm asking about the sort of private schools that are operated by the Christian churches in various places around Thailand.  I am not asking about international schools, which I am sure she can't afford.

3.  If a foreign child is admissable at all, is there an applicable admission test at the public schools ?  I am aware that the private schools, even the relatively inexpensive ones, have admission tests.

Their projected arrival date is October 2022.  With 15 - 17 months before starting Grade 1, I think a child of that age could become quite fluent in spoken and even basic written Thai; probably on a par with her native born peers.

I would also appreciate discussion of any aspect of this that I might be overlooking.

That's like the worst idea, not only will it be garbage education quality, it also will all be in Thai only + even worse as being half Thai. Unless your friend is going to become a very well paid International school teacher + get his kids on that school, his plan failed already before it started.

It is almost like punishing your children if doing that, when you aren't even Thai at all.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2