Mango fever! US Embassy joins in the fun from Mount Rushmore!

webfact

2 hours ago, Card said:

Well IMO it is the only Thai, or maybe even Asian, dessert that is of International standard. Certainly in my top 10. But my number 1 is still lemon meringue pie. 

Yeh, i think the last time I had lemon meringue pie was when I was a kid, Gypsy Tart is also yummy.....

6 hours ago, Card said:

Well IMO it is the only Thai, or maybe even Asian, dessert that is of International standard. Certainly in my top 10. But my number 1 is still lemon meringue pie. 

My Thai mrs makes a delicious Lemon Meringue, but she also makes a whole ton of other stuff, Mango cheesecake, Crumbles of all flavours and stuff I can't remember at the moment ???????????? 

Edited by Golden Triangle

4 hours ago, sambum said:

One of the first delights I participated in when I first came to Thailand (After Soi Nana and Soi Cowboy!)

Absolutely lovely - should be made a National Trasure! 

Slightly different flavour tho to what you found in the Soi's. 

Do agree that it should be made a national treasure , unlike Haggis in Scotland,  Hotdogs in the States,  Roo steaks in Ozzie and Dolphin burgers in Japan...oh and Donkeys testicles in Russia....at least thats all they will be able to afford soon ...hopefully

As tasty as it is, it is mind boggling that someone eating something, makes the news rounds.

Definitely up there with the top 10 'Thai' desserts ... but ... it's a fruit.  Doesn't take a recipe or a genius to create.  Grow, pick, peel, eat.  If a simple fruit is getting top billing, that seems a pretty low bar.  Doesn't say much for true desserts here, that chefs need to create.

No different than a perfectly ripe Georgian or Jersey peach, strawberries or a beefsteak tomato.

A good Apple Pie, Brownie, CheeseCake, Cannoli, Black Forest cake, lemon squares (??)... that takes talent to produce and get just right, seems more of a challenge, and an accomplishment when done right.

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

This could become quite popular in the tropical parts of the western hemisphere, they have all the ingredients. 

Unfortunately, the top choice mango (nam dokmai) for that dish is rarely available outside Thailand and if it is found it will not be that fresh or inexpensive.

19 hours ago, sambum said:

One of the first delights I participated in when I first came to Thailand (After Soi Nana and Soi Cowboy!)

Absolutely lovely - should be made a National Trasure! 

Nana, soo cowboy then mango and sticky rice.

A real cultural odyssey.