Bangkok Vs Pattaya

thai1on

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JR Texas, get some geography classes. Pattaya-Jomtien is not at the ocean. That's the sea and you'll find anything from condoms, bottles, som tam remains, etc. Both the thai and farang community sucks big time. Like I said, Pattaya it's a rathole.

JR Texas: Thanks for the lesson........here is another......seas, bays, estuaries, etc., are sub-components of a larger entity called the ocean.......all components of something else.......freakin' water and salt.

Yes, I think I failed to mention that the water in Bangkok and Pattaya-Jomtien is so polluted that it would be easy to do a JC imitation (i.e., walking on top of it).

Yes, there are many Thais and farangs in Pattaya-Jomtien that are bad rodents. But some of my good rodent friends live in Pattaya-Jomtien (some of the old farts from America).

If someone put a gun to my head, I think I would probably chose Pattaya-Jomtien over Bangkok, primarily because the traffic congestion in Bangkok drives me up the wall (but the traffic has become much worse in Pattaya-Jomtien over the past six years or so).

Pattaya is Disneyworld for large boys.

The night life is more profuse and diverse than in Phuket.

Phuket is better for families, IMO but things in general cost more than in Patts.

In terms of cleanliness, Patts sucks; the sea and the air are badly polluted.

But the range of offers for sports, excursions etc. is wider than in BKK or Phuket.

The expat community In Patts is close knit but not unfriendly IMO.

There's about the same percentage of iffy people as in Phuket or BKK.

So I would take in all three but for a longer stay I'd choose Chiang Mai.

The key difference between the two is that the farangs who wear their Beer Chang muscle shirts in Bangkok at least make the effort to wash them once a week.

To counter that, the average farang's neck is a lot thicker in Pattaya, and shaved heads are more common.

Take your pick.

I'd say the farang community is closer in Pattaya too, in the same way that prisoners in a particular prison wing are close-knit. The grunted conversation would be the same too.

It's up to you if you think that's a good thing.

Rather snobbish statement. Pattaya also has a lot of expat clubs; communities; and associations made up of very well-heeled business and professional people. The basic common denominator stereotype gets all the bad press though.

Hua Hin's beach and water is tons better than Pattaya.

Pattaya just seems like a crazy place to me. Bangkok is too, but in Pattaya I often get a creepy feeling about me. For young guys, Bangkok is great. For older, perhaps Pattaya.

ive been coming to thailand for 20 years and this is my first trip to hua hin. been here 5 days and being low season there is not many farang around.

the main thing that i am noticing is that the farang im seeing are mainly farang families with there children.

the farang getting around with there thai girlfriends are mainly decent looking fellas and ive seen none of the scum bags that one see's in pattaya. :o

a totally different vibe down here and i must say thats its been a pleasant surprise and enjoyable and just to top things off the thai girls are as beautiful as ever, god love them. :D

the beach looks fairly clean, the roads are wide and the traffic flows at a nice pace.

the thais just cruise along minding there own business and to top things off i seen the best thai cover band ever last night. :D

well done hua hin and keep up the top work.

and one last thought punters,

dont come here in high season as it will be full of farang fat wallets swinging bloody golf clubs. :D

thank you very much.

Hi. I live in Pattaya ( tai ) with my wife and family. Previously lived in Bangok for 2 years.

What can you say about Bangers that hasn,t been said? I,m glad i lived there.......had some wonderful experiences but eventually it does get tiring and the pollution is something else altogether. Constantly stuck in traffic. I don,t regret living there though.

Now very happy in Pattaya for 1 year. The expat community is definately closer knit than anything in Bangers. Pattaya is WAY cheaper too!

No problems with traffic at all. Admittedly, the roads ain,t great and the mo-cys are everywhere but thats Thailand for you.

For all the Pattaya bashers out there...............you don,t know the half of it. You want to knock around on Walking Street and the like then yes....you are going to see a lot of scum.

Pattaya/Jomtien though has a lot going for them. Lots of amenities, plenty of watersports available, all the usual stores and some good housing.

I suspect all those that bash Pattaya have either not lived here as a resident or have been ripped off in someway. Same as any other city in the world.

I work at a good school here, my wife makes a good income from her shops and we have a pretty decent lifestyle. At night when we want to relax, we just jump into the car and go to one of the MANY beaches around Pattaya and just sit and star gaze and eat.

The beach by Beach Raod is not the cleanest that is true........but to deride ALL of the beaches as dirty?

Get out more often.........you have not got a clue what you are talking about.

Lots of nice comments from people who have lived in both places. Of course, Thailand is neither Bangkok nor Pattaya. Even a similar beach town like Hua Hin has variety as you go up the beach or inland, high versus low tourist season, etc. To each his own. I'm happy in Chiang Mai and could probably do okay in Chiang Rai, but MaeHongSon is too small.

It would seem we are comparing a single street (and its associated Sois) in a city of over 7 million (10 million?) with a single street and (its associated Sois) in a smallish resort town that happens to be located in the heart of Thailand’s industrial area and is also home to hundreds of expats that go nowhere near said street.

To the OP, if you are coming to live and haven’t spent much time in Thailand before or have never lived in an Asian mega-city, I would start with Pattaya-Jomtien.

The comparison of Bangkok vs. Pattaya is very difficult. As some pointed out, Pattaya has some adjacent places like Jomtien, which are quite different from Pattaya. But Bangkok is so huge with over 8 Million people, it really depends on where in Bangkok you wanna live.

To be able to see the river (Chao Praya) from your bedroom is fine, but be prepared for a condo 10 Million THB up.

Sukumvit area, is a good location, close to the best places, but traffic is really a problem, especially if you want to go out on a Friday or Saturday evening. The later, the worse it gets.

I choose a place, which is not too far away form Suvannaphum airport (20 min, door to door), but no noise from the planes, in a Moo Baan in a dead-end street, a klong behind the house, school for the kids is nearby and plenty of supermarkets (Carrefour, Bic C, Tops, Foodland, The Mall etc).

If I want to go to Pattaya, it's a 2 hours drive, but I can also drive to places like Kho Chang (4 hours).

In my (somewhat limited) experience, in Bangkok are many more expats still working, whereas in Pattaya there seem to be more of the retired folks.

BTW, it's quite a unique experience to explore these klongs in and around Bangkok. You wouldn't believe some of the scenery!

The best beach in Pattaya/Jomtien is the bit in between Pattaya and Jomtien beaches west of the Phratamnak Rd imo. I'd say it's far better than the beach at Hua Hin although gets very crowded. When I'm in Hua Hin I drive up to Cha Am if I fancy an afternoon on the beach, much better than the drab grey thing you get in Hua Hin.

For mine, I visited Pattaya about 20 or 25 years ago and it was a small town with a fairly vibrant, but very seedy, nightlife. I had a look again about 4 or 5 years ago (just to see if things had improved). I was amazed at how much it had grown - very vibrant and even seedier. Haven't been to Bangkok for four or five years either - the heat combined with the fumes makes it a humid and incredibly uncomfortable place on most days. Still love Phuket. But to put things in perspective, some of the expats who live at Pattaya like to get away for the occasional week or so. Every single one I have spoken to in Phuket over the years says that Phuket is okay, but too expensive and they prefer Pattaya. (Indeed, this was the reason I did the re-visit). For mine, I like neither Bangkok nor Pattaya and have no intention of returning to either (except to transit through Bangkok for north). The bottom line is that those of the posters who have suggested you try a little time at each are giving you the best advice - it is all totally subjective.

If you have the opportunity, make up your own mind by trying out different places.

Each place has its own flavour, but more important than that is probably the people you meet and the friends you make, as good friends can make any place seem nice, and the opposite also holds true.

Other places with significant farang populations and modern amenities to consider apart from Bangkok and Pattaya: Phuket, Koh Samui, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Udon Thani, Khorat and Khonkaen.

I dont have enough experience of Pattaya to really form an opinion, but it never appealed to me based on what I heard about it. As for Bangkok, it has many positive sides to it, but in the end I decided it wasn't for me.

The key difference between the two is that the farangs who wear their Beer Chang muscle shirts in Bangkok at least make the effort to wash them once a week.

To counter that, the average farang's neck is a lot thicker in Pattaya, and shaved heads are more common.

Take your pick.

I'd say the farang community is closer in Pattaya too, in the same way that prisoners in a particular prison wing are close-knit. The grunted conversation would be the same too.

Rather snobbish statement. Pattaya also has a lot of expat clubs; communities; and associations made up of very well-heeled business and professional people. The basic common denominator stereotype gets all the bad press though.

I suspect bendix has fallen into bad company at some time in Patts.

There are pro rata a lot more decent farangs in Patts than in Phuket, IMO.

However, if you want to consort with thick necked louts, there are lots of them in both places.

The more discerning persons avoid them.

The best beach in Pattaya/Jomtien is the bit in between Pattaya and Jomtien beaches west of the Phratamnak Rd imo.

TIP: Try Wong Amat also. And Samae Beach on Ko Larn. And the beaches South of Jomtien, several nice ones inside navy compounds.

When I'm in Hua Hin I drive up to Cha Am if I fancy an afternoon on the beach, much better than the drab grey thing you get in Hua Hin.

Yeh, Hua Hin sucks big pebbles, of course. But erm: TIP: Instead of driving up to Cha Am, drive DOWN to Prachuap Khiri Khan town, which is a really nice town AND has a very nice beach inside the airforce base there. (Called Ao Manao)

Back on to the original topic:

What a preposterous dilemma. You can't possibly compare Bangkok with any other place in Thailand, AND you can't possibly compare Pattaya with any other place in Thailand. Comparing these two odd-ball destinations will yield completely unpredictable results depending on who you ask.

Personally (yes my opinion coming up, not scientific fact) I honestly don't see why anyone would stay in Bangkok unless you have to be there because someone is paying you buckets of money to be there. As for Pattaya... Keep in mind the area is a LOT bigger than just Pattaya, it's a rather large area that you can live in and still tell people "I live in Pattaya".

And finally, as with all these types of questions: WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO DECIDE THIS NOW, and based on the opinions of a bunch of total strangers, many of which more than a little weird, when you can just go live in both places for a while and decide. They're barely an hour and a half drive apart anyway, it's really quite possible to get stuck in traffic in Bangkok on a city trip longer than driving all the way to Patters. You could quite easily live in the Pattaya area and occasionally do a trip to Bangkok for some shopping or nightlife or whatever other things that are allegedly better there. Or the other way around. :o

Take your pick.

However, if you want to consort with thick necked louts, there are lots of them in both places.

It's all a matter of perception. I disagree (from my experience) with the comment that there are 'more decent farang in Pattaya than Phuket' - since there would be no statistics of 'decency' - but you are entitled to your opinion. I have certainly found that there are boorish types to be found throughout Thailand. The fact that there may be 'thick necked louts' around does not necessarily translate to 'more discerning persons' avoiding these places (but avoiding the louts, yes). On those occasions that I am enjoying a game of pool or watching a live band when the louts appear, I find greener pastures.

(I would say that people who generalise are shallow thinkers, but that would be generalising... :o )

Take your pick.

It's all a matter of perception. I disagree (from my experience) with the comment that there are 'more decent farang in Pattaya than Phuket' - since there would be no statistics of 'decency' - but you are entitled to your opinion. I have certainly found that there are boorish types to be found throughout Thailand. The fact that there may be 'thick necked louts' around does not necessarily translate to 'more discerning persons' avoiding these places (but avoiding the louts, yes). On those occasions that I am enjoying a game of pool or watching a live band when the louts appear, I find greener pastures.

(I would say that people who generalise are shallow thinkers, but that would be generalising... :o )

I agree. These "shallow thinkers" who disguise their arguments through eloquent prose, and who generalise through acerbic sound bites must have been burned to be so vehement. No other explanation I can see for such simplistic thinking. They attempt to summarize an entire town or nation through their limited experience.

They will grow up later, and we will forgive them.

I agree. These "shallow thinkers" who disguise their arguments through eloquent prose, and who generalise through acerbic sound bites must have been burned to be so vehement. No other explanation I can see for such simplistic thinking. They attempt to summarize an entire town or nation through their limited experience.

Or they could just be taking the piss and getting a chuckle at how many rise to the bait. :o

Or they could just be taking the piss and getting a chuckle at how many rise to the bait. :o

Yeah, maybe Bendix is taking a piss. But, somehow I don't think so. I think he really believes his own soundbites.

Pattaya if your a Single Male.

BKK if your not.

BKK has more variety of things to do, but costlier, dirtier, and more crowded. However the Adult entertainment isn't all up in your face in one form or another like it is in Pattaya.

Wrong on both accounts - heaps of things to do in Patters, prob more so than BKK. Plus u have water/beaches - islands, not Patters beach.

Attached or Single - doesnt matter if u go to Patters or BKK. As for naughty nightlife pretty much visible in BKK as in Patters. (actually get more totes begging to take u there in BKK) :o

Anyways visit both, preferences are gained through experience and this is individual tastes. Personally don't like BKK, but thats me.

Edited by britmaveric

Pattaya is definitely better than BKK in many ways. But it has it's faults.

It's overcrowded. The Roads are awful and it's Traffic (Crazy Motorcylists) are a nightmare. It's dangerous. Gangland shootings are frequent. The Cops are corrupt.

They do nothing about the black fumes that pour out of the Buses and lorries. So the air is a bit polluted. As is the Sea. etc etc.

Sounds awful I know but I like it......Got a house just outside the City.

Yeah, maybe Bendix is taking a piss. But, somehow I don't think so. I think he really believes his own soundbites.

*zippers up, puts the seat down, and flushes*

Huh? Was someone asking for me? Cant a chap even go for a leak without being harassed? :o

Edited by bendix

Shallow thinkers? ###### right. I am as shallow as a muddy puddle on a Beach Road pavement in the April sunshine. What's your point?

Look, gentlemen, calm down. My opinions of Pattaya is based on a handful of leisurely evenings in the place. As Dr Johnson once said, "Why left facts get in the way of a perfectly good prejudice?"

I'm sure it's truly delightful. No, really, I mean it. :D

i realize bangkok is many times larger than pattaya and must have more expats than pattaya,but think pattaya has more expats per capita than bangkok.

does anyone know the numbers of expats living in each city and which city is easier for newly arrived non-thai speaking expats to settle in?

Why would anyone want to come to Thailand, or any foreign culture, to meet their own?

I lived in Bkk for 8 years, it's fun for a couple of years, as I'm sure Pattaya is if your that way inclined.

My favourite place in Thailand is Khon Kaen, so I moved there. I like holidays to the beach and my favourite place is Hua Hin, although that is going downhill.

I like both Bkk & Patters. For different reasons. Personally I wouldn't want to live in either but if I had to choose I'd have to choose Bkk for business reasons.

Patters is great for short holidays ie the weekend away. Plenty for the whole family to do. Decent nightlife for me. OK shopping for the misses & the kids just love playing in the hotel pools or going down to the beaches south of jomtien. We have a day or two in Pattaya once every two or three weeks.

Although we have a house in Bkk, I really do get fed up with the trouble you have to go to get anywhere around the city. For that reason alone, I wouldn't like to live in Bkk full time. In fact, unless you specifically make plans to go somewhere, you really are housebound in Bkk. Upside of Bkk, shopping, food, specialty super markets, nightlife, 75% of the business's I deal with on a daily basis, good internet connections etc.

Cheers,

Soundman.

The traffic in Bangkok and Pattaya is horrendous. Unfortunately Beach Road in Jomtien is fast becoming quite congested. I think I'll be happy to stay out in the boonies where my main traffic problem is cows and buffalo on the roads. The days in Bangkok when the weather conditions are just right, the smog hangs like a blanket. At least the Pattaya area doesn't have that problem. I could still live in Jomtien but for how much longer is another question. I need a little space. When I first moved to Jomtien I could ride a motorbike around and feel safe. Those days are gone.