Jump to content

Death in Thailand - confused as to who has to register what with embassy


Recommended Posts

Excerpt from British Embassy web site.
"Registering the death of a British national is a requirement for any British national. It must be done through the British Embassy in Bangkok. It should be noted that any British national who passes in Thailand must be registered by the next of kin. A coroners inquest would not be performed in the UK."

Does this mean that my Thai partner here has to notify my children in the UK who then have to notify the British embassy in Bangkok ? i.e. my partner cannot notify the embassy direct ?

What information will my children have to provide to the embassy ( I cant find any form for completing ).  For example my name, passport details, hospital details etc ? Can this be done over the phone, by email etc ?
Do my children have to notify the embassy that they give their consent for funeral if they cannot be here ?   If yes what form of document and does it have to be in Thai ?
Any other advice greatly appreciated.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved to UK and Europe subforum on the home country forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your partner can notify the embassy.  Whilst your next of kin is normally/often your closest blood relative it can in fact be anybody you choose and not necessarily related to you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Your partner can notify the embassy.  Whilst your next of kin is normally/often your closest blood relative it can in fact be anybody you choose and not necessarily related to you.

if rich.

 

will.

 

me

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Your partner can notify the embassy.  Whilst your next of kin is normally/often your closest blood relative it can in fact be anybody you choose and not necessarily related to you.

OP - When you say "partner" to you mean marriage partner or friend partner?

If I have children in UK must they register death with embassy or can it still  be my friend partner here ?
Would I need to put something in writing to allow my friend partner to contact embassy ?
 

If I wish to be cremated locally does the UK Embassy require a witnessed signed advance document from me or one sent to my children in UK ?

I am confused by much of the wording in the Embassy information pages.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

OP - When you say "partner" to you mean marriage partner or friend partner?

If I have children in UK must they register death with embassy or can it still  be my friend partner here ?
Would I need to put something in writing to allow my friend partner to contact embassy ?
 

If I wish to be cremated locally does the UK Embassy require a witnessed signed advance document from me or one sent to my children in UK ?

I am confused by much of the wording in the Embassy information pages.

I mean anybody you want, married partner, non-married partner or friend.  A next of kin is somebody convienient to lumber with unpleasant tasks in times of trouble.   I don't think it is needed but might be a good idea to write down your wishes, assuming you don't make a formal will, as that might help at the time. 

 

And I am sure the embassy doesn't need or want you to send documents to them in advance, they don't want to know if you are here in the first place and would not know where to file such documents if you did send one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

I mean anybody you want, married partner, non-married partner or friend.  A next of kin is somebody convienient to lumber with unpleasant tasks in times of trouble.   I don't think it is needed but might be a good idea to write down your wishes, assuming you don't make a formal will, as that might help at the time. 

 

And I am sure the embassy doesn't need or want you to send documents to them in advance, they don't want to know if you are here in the first place and would not know where to file such documents if you did send one.

OP - thanks for your comments

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My English friend of many years died last year.

 

He died in a public hospital. He had no assets expect the 800,000 Baht (Visa money).

He managed to get this transferred to a female friend of his.

Pattaya has no where to store bodies (the hospital advised).

 

To my knowledge only 20,000 Baht was paid of a 330,000 Baht hospital bill.

 

The body with the passport was shipped to Bangkok

The passport ended up at the British embassy.

His UK based next of kin were advised. They have no  spare money.

Suspect that the body was cremated.

End of story.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 3:33 PM, Delight said:

The passport ended up at the British embassy.

So presumably this would have resulted in the Embassy notifying HMPO, DWP, HMRC and other interested parties in the UK government of the deceased's passing. If so then what on earth useful purpose is served by DWP troubling State Pensioners for freshly-witnessed life certificates every now and then? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So presumably this would have resulted in the Embassy notifying HMPO, DWP, HMRC and other interested parties in the UK government of the deceased's passing. If so then what on earth useful purpose is served by DWP troubling State Pensioners for freshly-witnessed life certificates every now and then? 

Don't relatives or those named have to contact govt depts, banks etc ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...