How Do You Intorduce A Noobie To Star-wars?

ozymandious

This question is particularly pertinent to new parents or parents of young children. And in this case the said noobie is my 2 year old daughter.

Here's the Question: For some one who has never seen any Star-wars movies what episodes do you introduce them to first?

there has never been this dilemma for people who were born before the release of episode 3. we have all seen them the same way, have all gasped at Darth being Luke's father, and laughed when Leah reviled to Han that Luke's her Bro. But now that they have all come out to disk, do you have them view it as we all have? 4,5,6 OR do we let them start at the beginning with 1,2,3?

Do you think knowing the past before hand will diminish the experience in any way?

I've got some time to play with this decision as my daughter probably won't watch these movies until she around 6. But for some of you the choice is upon you or has already been made.

What path did you choose? What path will you choose?

So start with 4 or start with 1?

i would go with the original 123 first,as for me they were the ones worth watching.

i hope she doesnt go over to the dark side. :o:D

maybe give it awile before starting on the silence of the lambs series. :D:D:D:bah:

I found watching the 3 prequels just boring. What kind of novelist publishes book 2 before book 1? Writing 3 sequels would have been more challenging, as where does the story go. The 3 prequels just made lots of money by spinning out what we already knew if paying attention. Also, there is a big leap in CGI technology which could be jarring if watched in the order of the whole story.

so I'd watch them in the order released. enjoy!

rych

I'd go for the first three [4,5,6] and then see if the interest was high enough to go for the second {first part} trilogy. I once saw all three originals back to back in a cinema and have to say that was the way to see them, big screen, big sound and a chance to notice the little things like empire personnel getting promoted.

Regards

I think I'm going to go the route of 4,5,6

then the prequels

so that there are no spoilers for the later ones.

Also seeing it the same way we get to have the same experience.

Anyone else thought about this before or is it just me?

yeah,i'd show them in the original order of years,rather than the latest ones first.

the latest ones looked like grown ups dressing up for me.

i always remember seing the first one in the cinema as a kid.

Excuse me, maybe I'm missing something but what does star wars have to do with Thailand ?

:o

Well Because the General Topics sub-heading is "Topics regarding everything else not related to other forums. Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it! "

um... I live in thailand...does that count?

I thought about putting it in the IT board, because it's the closest thing we have to a geek forum. But since it's not technically that technical or IT related, and we don't have a dedicated geek forum, I figured here's as good a place as any.

"I bent my Wookie"

-Ralph Wiggum

200px-C-ralph2.jpg

Edited by ozymandious

OK to keep the thread Thai related, I introduced my TGF to Star Wars last year.

I chose the 1,2,3,4,5,6 method. It seemded to work pretty well as she definately enjoyed it. (are we still talking about Star Wars?)

As both a parent and star wars fan, here's my two imperial credits.

4, 5, then 6 first. They have to know who Darth Vader is before they meet Anakin, otherwise the whole Luke saga loses it's punch. Imagine the resolution of Empire SW5 with Luke screaming "No" when you already know that Anakin fathered him in SW3!

.......and when old enough, nothing beats the Lego Star Wars videogame. In fact, some scenes are better than the original movies.

plus you can have lots of fun trying to explain to a young developing mind how Anakin and Darth are the same, and how Anakin came back just before Vader's death!

As both a parent and star wars fan, here's my two imperial credits.

4, 5, then 6 first. They have to know who Darth Vader is before they meet Anakin, otherwise the whole Luke saga loses it's punch. Imagine the resolution of Empire SW5 with Luke screaming "No" when you already know that Anakin fathered him in SW3!

.......and when old enough, nothing beats the Lego Star Wars videogame. In fact, some scenes are better than the original movies.

plus you can have lots of fun trying to explain to a young developing mind how Anakin and Darth are the same, and how Anakin came back just before Vader's death!

or you could just not bother. too much trouble explaining away lucas' penchant for racial stereotypes

i never thought i would say this but after this thread, i yearn for a good "should i tell my mother i married a hooker?" thread.

thats my "2 imperial credits"

Edited by t.s

My son's eight and he's a big fan. He saw them in 2,1,4,5,6,3 order which is obviously out of whack, but the number of times he's rewatched them renders this fairly irrelevant. If you can't decide on the order for your daughter, just blindfold her, line up the DVDs and tell her to use the force. :o This should at least arouse her curiousity!

OK to keep the thread Thai related, I introduced my TGF to Star Wars last year.

I chose the 1,2,3,4,5,6 method. It seemded to work pretty well as she definately enjoyed it. (are we still talking about Star Wars?)

Did the whole "Luke, I am your father" thing loose it's punch?

I'm glad she liked them, but do you think it's the same experience? or does it not really matter?

A guy from another forum came up with an interesting suggestion.

"I was one of those geeks that actually waited in line for episodes 1 and 2, and this question came up several times. My solution: 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6. You get to the whole "Luke, I am your father" bit (ok, SORRY if that was a spoiler to some people) and then do a 3 movie flashback to how Darth Vader came to be, and then jump forward to the conclusion. My own phantom edit."

I think it's an interesting concept. Funny I never thought about it that way but it's a neat Idea. I works well in my head too, perhaps even increasing the dramatic tension in 6 if viewed the way he suggests.

I'll have to think about that one.

t.s. - Please don't advise me on parenting, you really have no right.

Plus why would you suggest that I force adult issues on my young kids?

Jeez, I guess you missed out on a childhood, didn't you?

Arse!

Russ, Russ

Now i am laughing at you.

when did i comment on your parenting? I simply said you could not bother, and added my opinion regarding lucas' character depiction.

I seem to have unintentionally hit a nerve. i hope you work that out, the insecurity of the parent can pass on to the child.

I think this is a very useful thread. Forget all the Star Wars <deleted>; that's all secondary. What it has one is flush our and help us identify TV's Nerd Society in one go. Precious. Very precious.

(Seriously though. . .. come on mods . this is the second rubbish non-thai thread you've allowed to flourish in recent days. Is the policy changing? I know new threads have been light on the ground recently, but really . . )