Getting a Motor Bike License in Chiang Mai

Greenside

The transport department on  Hang Dong Road has a waiting time of about a month to take the test and (if you pass) get a license.  Some private places have a shorter wait time for the test but they can't issue the actual license.  These are still not convenient for my stepson's situation and the ideal would be to take the test privately and then go to the Transport dept to get the actual license.  Perhaps not surprisingly, the commercial test places say you have to do it all through them even though the couple we spoke to aren't able to produce the plastic card itself but as far as I know, if you've got the right bits of paper to show you've done the video, colour blindness and reaction tests etc. you should be able to do the rest at Hang Dong road without weeks of waiting.

Help and advice much appreciated!

Get the license in another province which doesn't have a wait list, Lamphun isn't far away.

If your son is Thai that's absolutely no problem, he can just go to any DLT.

Foreigners might have it a bit more complicated because they might need a certificate of residence from the province where they apply for the license.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

20 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Get the license in another province which doesn't have a wait list, Lamphun isn't far away.

If your son is Thai that's absolutely no problem, he can just go to any DLT.

Foreigners might have it a bit more complicated because they might need a certificate of residence from the province where they apply for the license.

my home adress is in Pai, needed renewed DriversLicence, had an issue ìn MHS, went to MaeTeng and same morning all set! no problems, questions, all with a smile! ????

2 weeks after I did there MotorbikeLicence as well since it went all so smooth!

MaeTeng is da place to be!

[mind you, this was pre-Covid]