Speed Limit

A thought I had the other day...

Why isn't it a legal requirement for car manufacturers to limit their products to the fastest speed limit in the country where they're sold, i.e. 120km/h in LOS?

The positives for such a move are obvious (environment, safety, law abiding...) so why does it sound so wrong? So what do you reckon?

Cheers and happy motoring,

James

Hmm, well, personally speaking, and nothing more than that.... <deleted>? But then, I love to drive faster than a bat outta hel_l.

Benefits to my selfish POV?

- Extra Sleep

- Improved self esteem at my amazing skills

- never being late to a tee time even if I decide to watch that extra ten minutes of Sports Center

- the ability (however minor it may seem) to think for myself, use some common sense and remember to use my mirrors, since most people can go faster than my rental.

Dr. B.

You can govern a vehicle electronically or mechanically but if someone can do it, someone can undo it.Most high-power vehicles have some form of limiter attached by the manufacturer to stop over revving etc....

There's always the argument that there will come a time, an emergency or something, when you wish that extra power you have was available.

A lot of governors reduced power at lower speeds too. Some just run off the speedo. So what are you going to limit? the RPM or top speed? Both? At 120 kph here in Thailand you are still exceeding the 90 limit on all other roads apart from motorways

A lot of governors reduced power at lower speeds too. Some just run off the speedo.

I tend to drive to the speed limit but sometimes you get in a situation where you need to stamp on the gas and get out of there. usually when truck drives decide to pull on you. If there was a cap on the maximum speed, then you couldnt get out of certain bad situations. a regular, strandard, zoned speed is not the same as the maximum speed you might need at any given moment.

This is Thailand. Some of us migrated here partly because we didn't want to be over-regulated, including a desire not to have the radar cop hiding behind the billboard and costing us $500 in fines and higher insurance costs because we went 71 in a 65 zone. Here, I don't speed in the car, but I do what I wish on the motorcycle, and haven't been stopped in over 44,000 km.

Don't give them ideas, Jim's a Thai Fox!

It'll come, one day, in the West first. But in the form of gps thingies where they KNOW exactly where you are in which speed limit. No, saying that, they then won't be able to fine you, so they might just watch you, fine you and THEN reduce your speed.

I love Thailand.

yeah, I totally agree with the reasons for keeping the decision to drive at what speed we deem appropriate....

it's just....err....well...my thought was just along the lines of car makers making cars that can easily break the traffic laws. I mean, if you think about it deeply, it doesn't really make sense, does it?

Anyway, bit of a moot point because we all can drive faster than the law says and long may our personal freedoms to break the law if required continue. I truly believe that the less civilised a society, the more rules it needs to govern it.

Sometimes you just need to drive faster than the speed limit. What if your kid fell out of a tree and was seriously hurt, would you drive the speed limit to take him to the hospital if his life depended on how fast you could get him there? Or you are late for an important presentation, if you do not get there on time it will cost you your job. Do you drive faster than the posted speed limit? There are many more scenarios as to why one would drive faster than the posted speed limit. Personally I drive faster than the posted speed limit because I like the feel of speed (have the need for speed) and a ticket here only costs me 200 baht.

Come on, Jim's afox, you're posting this in the Motor Forum, which is populated by auto enthusiasts like myself?

As much as I dislike kamakazee Thai drivers in Isuzu Dmax's, seemingly careening on two tires, I would never support a governor placed on any vehicle for many of the reasons already cited, emergencies being one of them. Joy of life being another.

yeah, I totally agree with the reasons for keeping the decision to drive at what speed we deem appropriate....

it's just....err....well...my thought was just along the lines of car makers making cars that can easily break the traffic laws. I mean, if you think about it deeply, it doesn't really make sense, does it?

Anyway, bit of a moot point because we all can drive faster than the law says and long may our personal freedoms to break the law if required continue. I truly believe that the less civilised a society, the more rules it needs to govern it.

Interesting.

I truly believe that the more rules govern a society, the less civilised it is.

Interesting.

I truly believe that the more rules govern a society, the less civilised it is.

I think you're both saying the same thing.

Don't forget, speedometers here can be 15% off.

Personally, I have no problem with people driving cars and trucks above the speed limit on major highways which can certainly support the higher vehicle speeds. A car or trucks speed is ultimately limited by traffic congestion.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the millions of motorbikes cruising the roads throughout Thailand. The typical motorbike rider is not limited by traffic congestion as he weaves in and out and between vehicles at whatever speed he chooses. These idiots ( I think you know the ones I'm talking about), not all motorbike riders, are the real threat on the road. They are dangerous to themselves and to others and show no respect for traffic laws, general common sense or just plain common courtesy. Sure, my life is not at risk if I am involved in an accident with a motorbike while driving my Vigo 4x4, but rest assured that my pocketbook will be greatly at risk.

Pattaya David

If im not mistaken the reason why a car these days can more than double the speed limit is down to sales, and efficiancy.

Accelaration is probably more important if you need to avoid something. However if you have a car than can exellerate very quickly, but only has a top speed of 70mph, it will probably be using high revs and there would be no need for overdrive, or 5th-6th gear making the car heavy on fuel.

There are also countries that don't really have a speed limit. The UK has had a limit of 70mph on motorways for decades. I would rather crash in my car at 130mph than in my fathers Zepher 1960's Zodiac at 70mph. You only have to look at formula 1.

Plus it feels nice. I speed quite often but only when the road is quiet.

Isnt that the point of a motorbike? Do you think motorbikes should sit in line like cars?.

In most western countries, motorbike riders have to follow the same traffic laws as cars and trucks.  The point of owning a motorbike, especially in Asia, is bec

ause they

are cheap to own and operate.  I would guess that even in Thailand, there are not two sets of traffic laws, one for cars and trucks and and another for motorbikes.  The main point I was trying to emphasize in my post was that the danger associated with the recklessness and total disregard of traffic law by many of those riding motor bikes was much greater than the danger imposed by those driving a car or truck above the speed limit.

By the way, the answer to your question is yes even though I am not stupid enough to think it will ever happen.

There is no law, even in the U.K, which says motorbikes cant filter through cars. You must be jealous that you have to sit for hours in traffic while motorbike riders can get to their destination much quicker. Oh well, your loss.

There is no law, even in the U.K, which says motorbikes cant filter through cars. You must be jealous that you have to sit for hours in traffic while motorbike riders can get to their destination much quicker. Oh well, your loss.

i don't know about all of the states in the USA but in my state the motorcycle had to sit in line with the cars.

Madjbs,

Are you saying that it is legal in the UK for motorbikes to filter through cars (between vehicles travelling in the same direction in parallel lanes) even while traffic is moving?  Are you sure that this is legal or is it just accepted practice as it is here in Thailand?  It's not that I'm jealous, it doesn't really bother me when motorbikes filter through vehicles stopped for a redlight, however I think it's quite dangerous for motorbikes to pass between two moving cars moving in the same direction or opposite directions as occurs frequently here in Thailand.  Also, don't forget who will be held liable when there is a collision with between a car or truck and a motorbike, twice as liable if you are a Farang.

Edited by PattayaDavid

Its not illegal as such in the U.K but there becomes a point where you will get done for dangerous driving etc.. depending on the speed of the traffic, how much faster you are going and how close to other cars you are. Interpretation is left to the police so as you can imagine its anyone’s guess what will be allowed. Normally if the copper is a biker himself you will be fine but there is quite a few people in the U.K who have something against anyone who moves on 2 wheels and a motor.

I'm not convinced the farang is always guilty either, I think these days this is just an old farang house wifes tale. There have been many reports of farangs having acidents and being treated fairly by the police. And remember your always going to get the farangs who were actually at fault but refuse to admit it as they were driving how they always do in there own countries etc.. and then they come here and moan about how unfairly they have been treated.

Jake

Madjbs,

Are you saying that it is legal in the UK for motorbikes to filter through cars (between vehicles traveling in the same direction in parallel lanes) even while traffic is moving? Are you sure that this is legal or is it just accepted practice as it is here in Thailand? It's not that I'm jealous, it doesn't really bother me when motorbikes filter through vehicles stopped for a red light, however I think it's quite dangerous for motorbikes to pass between two moving cars moving in the same direction or opposite directions as occurs frequently here in Thailand. Also, don't forget who will be held liable when there is a collision with between a car or truck and a motorbike, twice as liable if you are a Farang.

There is no law in UK against undertaking....but there are laws concerning driving "without due care and attention" and dangerous driving.

Just as there is no law in the UK against being drunk...but it is illegal to be.......drunk and disorderly....driving whilst under the influence etc etc.

I have to say that the road regs in UK seem to me to be the most logical and well thought out of anywhere in the world......perhaps that's why they have one of the lowest accident rates on some of the mosr crowded roads.