Thai woman arrested in 6.2 BILLION baht Nigerian Romance Scam

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Online Romance Scam

Daily News reported that a 31 year old woman was arrested yesterday in Chiang Rai, northern Thailand who was part of a 6.2 billion baht romance scam perpetrated by Nigerians. 

Som was presented with a warrant for conspiracy to defraud online after she opened up accounts for the gang to use. 

The case is the latest arrest in a huge scam that came to light in 2019 when a former accounts executive went to the police. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

"A" said that she was taken in by a man who claimed to be a US military doctor in Afghanistan looking for love.

It was a Nigerian. He came up with the story that he had got a huge inheritance that he would send to Thailand but duty needed to be paid on the bequest. 

In total more than 6.2 billion baht was transferred to accounts in 16-17 countries. 

Som was one of the people whose accounts were used. After she was traced to a construction workers camp in Mae Chan she admitted opening accounts for the gang for 10,000 baht a time.

Thirty others are involved in the fraud. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 2

For awhile I was being offered $100 million a week. Those offers have dried up, thankfully. 

This world seems to have alot of people who absolutely refuse to work for a living, and love to suck the blood of society. Since the Nigerians will likely not be apprehended, best to go after their Thai affiliates, and lock them up for 20 years or so. Set an example. If the Thai judicial system is capable of such. 

The RTP will be salivating at the thoughts of getting their dirty mits on any assets, so that they can claim their 25% of any assets in Thailand. I imagine that by the time the police from multiple countries all take their cut of any assets that there won't be a great deal left to be returned  to any real victims if this crime.

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

Sounds like a good business to be in. And Nigerians. who else!

The Australian ABC made a great documentary about the topic. It's on YouTube. - Back to the post, 6.2 billion baht sounds like a lot. This is only Thailand? So, did 6,200 Thais part with a million baht each? 

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Looks like she has invested her share in asbestos roofed shacks ????

Or she could be stood outside her 100m beachfront mansion sold by Prince the Nigeran estate agent ????

59 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

British doctors working in Malaysia looking for love? 

I had some scammers contacting me, getting my details from a dating site; a "Thai-American woman from New York, just having arrived in Bangkok", and a "Thai woman in London". Both had excellent (written) English skills, and stopped contact quickly after I called their fake identities. They might as well have been Nigerians, as the pics of (attractive) "Thai women" were obviously taken from somewhere on the internet. - Oh, yes, their scam was also so obvious, as the pics and lines were similar, and both contacted me at the same time! ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Can't stop laughing ))) 

6.2 billions? Thai journalism at its best! Most likely the author simply didn't learn math in school, otherwise we'll see 6.2 trillions ) 

16-17 countries? How is it? they know exact amount but not sure how many countries ) ROFL

And about subject: bar girls were happy to open bank account for $50 per book and ATM card, even less. That's how betting websites operate in LOS. 10K is way too much.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Whenever I see folks who I believe are Nigerian, in Thailand, I automatically think, "what scam are these guys up to?".

I worked in that country for a while and in all that I have seen and experienced over the years, I wouldn't trust a Nigerian as far as I could throw them (although I'm sure there are a few good ones around, although I've never found him/her yet!).

I worked in Lagos, Victoria Island for a while and i would have to agree with you. but they do have some good looking women!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Excel said:

Yes Nigerians are great business men and very many of them are extremely wealthy and generous.  I have lost count the number who have communicated with me over the years  offering to share a part of their vast fortunes with me simply if I supply bank details Kindness extraordinaire most definitely 

Over the years I have had letters from Nigerian PO boxes, Faxes from Nigeria, emails from Nigeria and communication via social media from Nigerians.

Expecting Holo communications from Metaverse avatars in the not to distant future from Nigeria

8 hours ago, webfact said:

"A" said that she was taken in by a man who claimed to be a US military doctor in Afghanistan looking for love.

[...] He came up with the story that he had got a huge inheritance that he would send to Thailand but duty needed to be paid on the bequest. 

I wonder what hallucinating substances these women consume to get the idea that such a super rich doctor falls in love with them.

Can't say if she was was part of the gang because I know criminal gangs prey on the less privilege, gullible or even kids online to open accounts for them for a pittance.

For example, it was recently brought to my knowledge that my teenage child had been recruited by her classmate to create social media accounts for some online friends who pay 5 baht per account. I warned them to desist and pray they don't get a visit from the cyber cops any time soon.

15 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

I worked in Lagos, Victoria Island for a while and i would have to agree with you. but they do have some good looking women!

You worked in Nigeria and didn't meet any honest people? None of your employees or acquaintances there were kind or honest? They all tried to cheat you? Really?

You sound like a bloody racist liar. Every country has its bad apples. You have scammers in North Korea, China, etc making more money than any of these Nigerian scammers but you racist <deleted> act like scamming is peculiar to Nigerians.

<deleted> the country jails innocent youth on the accusation of being scammers when many of them work hard to make a honest living.

Always refreshing to see overweight farangs with their myopic views. Your countrymen from shell and other oil companies go to Nigeria, wreck havoc on the environment and way of life of the people there but I guess that's not noteworthy.

Every damn time. Seems like ASEAN now is the new KKK message board.

When it's a Chinese, Korean, or European criminal there's no generalization, but once it's a black guy or African you see the racists come en masse to air their views.

None of you clowns have ever met a Nigerian that was a doctor, teacher, engineer, or any other honest profession?

Nigerians are the most educated immigrant group in the US, have one of the highest income rates of immigrants living in the US. You have many Nigerian doctors in the west but overweight imbeciles on ASEAN now want you to believe all Nigerians are scammers.

3 hours ago, Tobi02k9 said:

You worked in Nigeria and didn't meet any honest people? None of your employees or acquaintances there were kind or honest? They all tried to cheat you? Really?

You sound like a bloody racist liar. Every country has its bad apples. You have scammers in North Korea, China, etc making more money than any of these Nigerian scammers but you racist <deleted> act like scamming is peculiar to Nigerians.

<deleted> the country jails innocent youth on the accusation of being scammers when many of them work hard to make a honest living.

Always refreshing to see overweight farangs with their myopic views. Your countrymen from shell and other oil companies go to Nigeria, wreck havoc on the environment and way of life of the people there but I guess that's not noteworthy.

I worked in Nigeria for a few months, I can only speak as I find, I am sure there are good folks there,   I would also agree that most other countries have bad apples and scammers not only the few you mentioned, but most of the other countries do not send out email scams repeatedly.

The police in Lagos are scary, all heavily armed and they look like they are drugged up. The police in Thailand are like boy scouts in comparison. Friend of mine got arrested at 10pm, cos he was walking and the police thought he was drunk, they literally pointed their rifles at him and extorted $250, before releasing him.

The staff in the hotel, Protea Hotel in VI, were very nice although the food not so good.

The money changers tried to rip me off, not by much but its the principle.

Calling people and racist liars is not going to help your case, you sound like you have a huge chip on your shoulder?

Outside of the hotel, walking around, I never felt really safe, the opposite of Thailand.

I have been lucky enough to work in a lot of countries, the only place more dangerous where I have been was Kabul in Afghanistan.

This sounds like the recent scam where the Thai lady CFo of Essilor Thailand transferred THB 6+ billion to a Nigerian romance scammer with Thai associates. The Nigerian also pretended to be a Chinese American doctor in the military and lifted pics from a Chinese Malaysian's FB.  She exhausted her own funds quite fast and started transferring Essilor's money. She had access to Essilor's accounts in New York as well as in Thailand.  Essilor Thailand apparently had zero internal controls and the CFO was also able to get bank's to exceed her signing limit.  Essilor is suing Citibank in NY over this aspect. 

God knows what she expected to get in return for THB 6 billion from someone she had never met and was in fact a Nigerian, whom she wouldn't give the time of day, if she knew his real appearance and identity.  She could have rented the best looking male hookers in Thailand and got them to tell her she was beautiful and they loved her for much less.  The CFO was not a simpleton as she had multiple degrees from Thailand and the US.  But she had one fatal screw loose.

• Like 2