Female motorcyclist plows into student on Zebra Crossing - she's given 2,000 baht

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook Thai Caption: Riding oblivious to pedestrians

Thai zebra crossings are in the news once again after a video posted on the Facebook page that translates "So You Wanna Be Famous Return Part 2" featured an 11 second clip.

In the clip a large group of students are crossing outside the Suranaree School on Chang Pheuak Road in downtown Chiang Mai, northern Thailand.

The kids are going to school at 7 am on Thursday of last week.

Sanook reported that cars had slowed down to allow the students to cross but a female motorcyclist came along the inside and plowed into one of the students.

Both the rider and the student fell to the tarmac. Both were injured, though thankfully not seriously.

The motorcyclist paid the student 2,000 baht and said that her hospital bills would have to come out of "Phor Ror Bor" or third party insurance. 

She said she didn't see the students as she was hurrying to work. 

The elder sister of victim said that she was thirteen year old Nana in M2, the second year of secondary school. Doctors had advised her to take two weeks off school but it was the start of term, she had lots of work and simply couldn't do that. 

The post on Facebook said:

"Zebra crossings are still not safe in Thailand - even in front of schools with large groups of students crossing". 

Naew Na had still shots from the video apparently from CCTV at the school gates. 

image.jpeg

Picture: Naew Na

The whole issue of zebra crossings has been in the Thai news almost daily since an opthalmologist doctor called Kratai was killed on one by a speeding policeman on a Ducati earlier in the year, notes ASEAN NOW. 

The cop was later successfully prosecuted on about eight charges. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 3

This woman needs to be punished so that she won't do it again, and so that others will learn!

Also, the Muppets who paint the roads unnecessarily all over Thailand could/should spend their time and paint in highlighting zebra crossings, ESPECIALLY outside schools!

• Like 1

It's unfortunately often a case in the traffic with motorbikes taking over fast on the inside or in the shoulder of the road, without caring that there might be a reason why a car has slowed down or has stopped. 

Be careful out there.

• Like 1

She should also have been fined by the BIB for undertaking and for passing within 30m of a pedestrian crossing. I know they all do it, but it is illegal. Sections 45 and 46 of the Land traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979) clearly stipulate this.  Having said that, I doubt whether the rider has ever actually read the Act.

The country needs traffic signals and true cross walks with the laws enforced.  When I lived in khumpawapi the Thai police were always out in force during the morning and afternoon times around the schools.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sadly, the only thing which could make these crossings less dangerous is if they were made like railways crossings with barriers......    But I wonder how many selfish idiots would still try to drive / ride through them... 

Many.

• Like 1

I take my son and my neighbours daughter to school 14km away 5 days a week,

My headlights are always on and I ALWAYS slow down and put my 4 way flashers on as I pass the schools.

I pass 4 schools on the way. One just has cones, 2 have nothing and at my kids school, there are red flashing led lights, the road is 2 lanes each way plus the frontage.  ALL of the lanes are coned off and there are always staff members by the road. The zebra crossing has cones narrowing it.

Opposite the school is a hospital. and there are always vehicles inside the cones as the occupants are to lazy to walk 50 metres to the hospital.