Two Indian Men Die In Koh Samui Motorbike Accident

webfact

image.jpeg

The spot where the two Indian tourists died last evening. Photos: MNG Online

TWO YOUNG Indian men holidaying on Koh Samui died after losing control of their rented motorcycle while coming down Khao Pom hill then crashing onto the traffic barrier and tumbling down the hillside last evening, MNG Online said today (June 13).

Pol. Lt. Col. Udomsak Thappha, an inspector at Koh Samui police station, rushed to the site of the accident which is known to be dangerous with some fatal accidents having already occurred here together with a doctor from Koh Samui Hospital, Air Force officers and rescuers.

At this dangerous curve on Thupatemi road, or the road up Khao Pom hill, they found the two tourists, identified as Mr. Vinay Dutt Kaushik, 35, and Mr. Dhruv Tripathi, 34, dead at the hillside. Their rented motorcycle had overturned by the roadside with marks of its red paint seen on the traffic barrier.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/06/13/two-indian-men-die-in-koh-samui-motorbike-accident/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-06-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, webfact said:

TWO YOUNG Indian men holidaying on Koh Samui died after losing control of their rented motorcycle

3 hours ago, webfact said:

identified as Mr. Vinay Dutt Kaushik, 35, and Mr. Dhruv Tripathi, 34, dead 

Young men? ????

34 & 35, grown adults 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RandiRona said:

10th motor bike death of today. Ditch Bike, Save lives!!

One must go back to the basics. Did they have a motorcycle license in India? Did they know how to ride? Was the corner well marked? Give us the whole story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Very ,very many simply cannot afford to. Better training,education,driving habits and policing are a better solution and which would help 4 wheel drivers to stay alive too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Excel said:

And the plonkers who suggest that people over 70 shouldn't ride bikes , well these were young guys unfortunately which illustrates the point that bikes ridden without due care and attention are dangerous irrespective of your age.

Yes and no...   All other things being equal, experience, education, standard of bike (brakes, tyres etc)... an older person has slower reflexes and less agility...    At some point the reflexes and agility diminish sufficiently to warrant giving up the bike full stop...  (many have done so, and I will have to at some point) - but that also depends if using the bike top pop down to the local 7-11 or to ride inter-provincial highways or in the city centre traffic. 

That said - a careful 70 year old rider is far safer than a nutter without a helmet on a pocket-rocket on any road. 

But, highlighting that older people have slower reactions and that places them at higher risk is not ageist - its just fact. 

--------

I’m in my 40’s I play regular football...  the difference when playing with those below 35 is astonishing.

For most people the speed and reactions go off a cliff - its clearly noticeable when playing against younger players.  This reduction in reaction and speed continues... 

For motorcyclists - reactions and experience are clearly key. A fast reaction without the experience to react correctly is deadly, but reacting correctly but too slowly can also be deadly. 

We each know our limits, but everyone knows we slow as we get older, its inevitable and nothing to get defensive about. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, RandiRona said:

If Samui roads are the same as when I was there....smooth tar with a dusting of sand from the wind...any time anywhere your front wheel goes sideways and you along with it.

RIP Blokes.

I have seen quite a few motorbike accidents and near misses since post pandemic tourism increased here in Samui. Including three in one day.

Even seen a couple of them where they shoot straight out of the bike shop, with no control and floor the bikes.

The number of nervous riders wobbling along, clearly having no idea of how to ride is up, 

Inexperience or none at all is likely the cause of most of these accidents.

Also worth bearing in mind the crazy minibus and taxi drivers are back out in force. Particularly bad when flights or boats are arriving.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Motorbikes are not dangerous at 60kph under road is bad, rider is bad or other idiots on road. Hilly rds are risky.

Lanta, Krabi easy riding

when I were a lad I had the bright idea of renting a bike in Chaweng, Samui even though I wasn't licensed and had zero experience other than a half day on a scooter in Kuta, Lombok a few months earlier.

I don't know where Khao Phom hill is but I do remember a quite steep windy hilly section between Chaweng and Lamai that I traversed maybe ten times or so. a few times under the influence of alkyhol because young and bulletproof.

Thank Buddha I made it off the island alive and in one piece ????

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Very ,very many simply cannot afford to. Better training,education,driving habits and policing are a better solution and which would help 4 wheel drivers to stay alive too. 

Agree but this has to be enforced from uptop....unfortunately they are busy distributing Weed to the remaining lives.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vandeventer said:

One must go back to the basics. Did they have a motorcycle license in India? Did they know how to ride? Was the corner well marked? Give us the whole story.

agree but details isnt one of the quality which news agencies maintain here.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Excel said:

And the plonkers who suggest that people over 70 shouldn't ride bikes , well these were young guys unfortunately which illustrates the point that bikes ridden without due care and attention are dangerous irrespective of your age.

Very true , Its sad that these tourists who were here for fun are dead as they didnt realize the danger 2 wheels present in Thailand.

Unsurprisingly, an estimated 70%-85% of road traffic-incidents in Thailand involved a motorcycle. Since motorcycles are much cheaper than cars, many young adults drive - often without receiving proper training and obtaining a license. Additionally, it was reported by the World Health Organization that just over half of motorcycle drivers wore helmets and only 20% of their passengers used helmets while on the road.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes and no...   All other things being equal, experience, education, standard of bike (brakes, tyres etc)... an older person has slower reflexes and less agility...    At some point the reflexes and agility diminish sufficiently to warrant giving up the bike full stop...  (many have done so, and I will have to at some point) - but that also depends if using the bike top pop down to the local 7-11 or to ride inter-provincial highways or in the city centre traffic. 

That said - a careful 70 year old rider is far safer than a nutter without a helmet on a pocket-rocket on any road. 

But, highlighting that older people have slower reactions and that places them at higher risk is not ageist - its just fact. 

--------

I’m in my 40’s I play regular football...  the difference when playing with those below 35 is astonishing.

For most people the speed and reactions go off a cliff - its clearly noticeable when playing against younger players.  This reduction in reaction and speed continues... 

For motorcyclists - reactions and experience are clearly key. A fast reaction without the experience to react correctly is deadly, but reacting correctly but too slowly can also be deadly. 

We each know our limits, but everyone knows we slow as we get older, its inevitable and nothing to get defensive about. 

I agree completely. I'm 75 and thinking about a 3 wheeled electric scooter instead of riding my Honda Click.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

These bikes are dangerous because the brakes can easy overheat. Especially coming down a steep hill as at the air force station. Even more when riding two people on one bike. I heard multiple stories first hand about this happening. Suddenly the brake (usually front brake) does not work anymore. Probably the brake fluid has water in it and that starts boiling. Maybe this is what happenened RIP.

• Like 1