Shipping a Honda Phantom to Ireland.

Nip

Hi guys. I have a 20 year old Honda Phantom perfect mechanical order with less than 3,000KM on the clock. Mint condition. I was thinking of shipping it to Ireland. Could somebody help me out please? Is it a fools errand? That is, is would the cost to ship and the taxes on arrival be too expensive.. Who would you recommend to ship? What sort of price should I expect? Thanks in advance.

I am pretty sure the short answer is that financially it does not make any sense at all.

What is your reason to consider this?

Do you love that bike so much that you always want to keep it and maybe remember your good times with it?

Or do you think selling it here and buying a new one over there would cost more?

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am pretty sure the short answer is that financially it does not make any sense at all.

What is your reason to consider this?

Do you love that bike so much that you always want to keep it and maybe remember your good times with it?

Or do you think selling it here and buying a new one over there would cost more?

I guess I am am looking for a balanced view. I have no great attachment to the bike but if it made some sense I would ship it. If not I wont. Just weighing up my options. Thanks for replying ...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I suspect that the bike will not meet EC criteria re emissions etc etc and import into Ireland will be refused.

Thank you.I suspected this. Thanks for replying. I will check it out anyway.

28 minutes ago, Nip said:

I guess I am am looking for a balanced view. I have no great attachment to the bike but if it made some sense I would ship it. If not I wont. Just weighing up my options. Thanks for replying ...

First up I suggest don't do it.

This other bit is vague but you could do some research.

Years back was chatting to guy who had exactly same bike.

He was dismantling the bike completely and sending it as parts to UK. 

Maybe it was just rubbish but you could look into it. 

Edited by DrJack54

43 minutes ago, Nip said:

If you drive it to Europe, it would have made sense, but shipping it will not make any sense if you do not have any special attachment to it. 

Im planning to retire my 500x after a ride back home, and I doubt I will ship it back, and maybe if the ride was as good, exiting and fun as some claim it to be, I might consider to continue on a new route back with it. Time will show, but for now because of Iran conflict before covid I have postponed the project to 2024. 

I've no idea about shipping costs but the import and registration process does not seem too onerous.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

... and this article gives some advice and costs specific to motorcycles.

https://www.motoworld.ie/importing-a-motorcycle-to-ireland/

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

First up I suggest don't do it.

This other bit is vague but you could do some research.

Years back was chatting to guy who had exactly same bike.

He was dismantling the bike completely and sending it as parts to UK. 

Maybe it was just rubbish but you could look into it. 

Ha ha im not sure I would want to go that far. Better I sell it I think? Thanks

15 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I've no idea about shipping costs but the import and registration process does not seem too onerous.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

... and this article gives some advice and costs specific to motorcycles.

https://www.motoworld.ie/importing-a-motorcycle-to-ireland/

Great information here. I will have a look. Thank you.

16 hours ago, blackshadow said:

contact a g s fourwinds to find out cost of shipping.......they are based in lam chabang.....are shipping and forwarding agents

I dealt with them 20 years ago thank you. I did not realise that they were still in Biz. Thanks. 

17 hours ago, Hummin said:

If you drive it to Europe, it would have made sense, but shipping it will not make any sense if you do not have any special attachment to it. 

Im planning to retire my 500x after a ride back home, and I doubt I will ship it back, and maybe if the ride was as good, exiting and fun as some claim it to be, I might consider to continue on a new route back with it. Time will show, but for now because of Iran conflict before covid I have postponed the project to 2024. 

Thanks for input. I dont like the bike that much to accompany it. Better to sell and rebuy.... Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Nip said:

Thanks for input. I dont like the bike that much to accompany it. Better to sell and rebuy.... Thank you.

And Honda Phantom would maybe not be a good choice for the journey either ????

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, Richyba said:

Any outcome on this ? I'm thinking of the same thing for my much loved 2 stroke Phantom, quite a rarity now.

It worked out too expensive unless you can piggy back in a container and some suggested that the bike would fail the emissions test too. I kept it in Thailand