Opening a bank account in los

thaistyle2728

Before i retire and move back to thailand which will be soon i want to come over first visit the wifes family and also start a bank account with the bangkok bank in phrae...

What i want to know is it possible , since i,m only going to be there this time on a 60 day tourist visa to open the account in my wifes name and my name.....then when i get back to the states start to wire transfer money to this account.....

I,ve been sending my sister in law money this way for almost 10 years..she has her own account...the max amount is 2500 dollars/us...per transfer...i send a bank check to the bangkok bank in new york put the name..acct.#.and branch the fee is 15 dollars...takes about 2 days...bank sends me back a receipt showing me the amount transfered in baht..

back to the original question...can  my wife and i go back and open the account in our names only.....

P.S.  if i have to i can always add my sister in laws name to the account...

Lots of coverage on this subject...please check it out.

Thailand Expat Forum web board

» General » Farang Pub » Bangkok bank account

You should not have any problems  :o

Easy as you like to open bank account, just done it 4 days ago, BANGKOK BANK. All I gave them was my passport, driving licence, and hotel address, and I was only travelling on a tourist visa. ( but could only open savings account, wanted i-banking, but need work visa for that ) I was issued with a ATM card there and then, easy as pie once the forms are filled in they entered detail into a pc, handed me the ATM card, put it into keypad to choose your own PIN number. CARD COST 250 thb. Then I went to a shopping mall to an ATM and HEY PRESTO balance shown straight away. I can now transfer spare cash there as and when i want.

PS I opened account with 10000thb, but I think you even open an account with 100thb ( did help to have a Thai with me to read the docs all written in Thai, but counter staff will help you to fill in spaces as required.) By the way make sure you ask them for SWIFT code and account number, this is not the same number as shown on your card(s).