Sukhumvit Plus - Any Experiences?

I am looking to buy a small condo in BKK as so many of family make visits to BKK and my daughter at Uni there. Not looking at anything luxurious but needs to be safe, new or well kept up (the building that is) and close to BTS. Been looking at Sukhumvit Plus, anyone have experience with this place or anything similar. Any advice greatfully received.

Sukhumvit Plus is about 100m from BTS Prakanong

Haven't checked it out yet only researching on the web, but a lot of the places don't mention which project they are in or distance to BTS.

However the name Suk Plus pops up many times as a new project v. close to BTS and quite new. Just wondering if any members were living there.

I live in one of there developments in the same area. The building on the whole is managed pretty well, constantly being cleaned, very friendly and helpful office staff etc.

In my experience the new Plus developments tend to sell out very quickly.

FYI they are building a new development on Soi 67 (over the road from Sukhumvit Plus ). Construction is nearly finished, but I believe it is sold out already. I think it may be slightly cheaper per square meter than Sukhumvit Plus.

Thank you I will check it out. It seems everything sells out well in advance but of course people are always looking to resell and can't meet payments etc.

Is the one on 67 , Condo One?

How far a walk from BTS?

I live in Waterford Park, 500m away from Sukhumvit Plus (and a 10 minute walk/15-baht bike to Phra Khanong BTS)...noticed a posted ad for an apartment for sale here, 78sqm. It's not a very new development, but it's very nice and well maintained.

Thank you I will check it out. It seems everything sells out well in advance but of course people are always looking to resell and can't meet payments etc.

Is the one on 67 , Condo One?

How far a walk from BTS?

Yeah, it's on 67 and I think it's gonna be called Condo One. Not too far from the BTS at all. Maybe 3 minutes walk-ish.

I live in Waterford Park, 500m away from Sukhumvit Plus (and a 10 minute walk/15-baht bike to Phra Khanong BTS)...noticed a posted ad for an apartment for sale here, 78sqm. It's not a very new development, but it's very nice and well maintained.

I know Waterford, I have a few friends who have lived there for years. It is a pretty good building and great value for money, infact I was very close to moving there myself.

However the OP specifically asked about somewhere safe and new/well kept. I don't think it really fits either of these criteria. For a start it is located a long way down a pretty sketchy soi (dark at night) furthermore IMHO the security guards are useless and on many of my evening visits to the condo they have been blatantly drunk or otherwise intoxicated.

They also had all those problems about a year ago with the management which lead to threats against residents and the management dumping rubbish in the communal areas if my memory serves me...

Hehe, interesting details. Didn't know about the whole management issue (moved here just a couple of months ago), but you're right about the Soi...though the bikes are very handy for quickly going through it :o Guards have been recently replaced (looks like a different security firm) and so far they've been more than OK.

Thank you for your replies, I will take a look at the end of the month.

Anyone have recommendations for other projects close to a BTS station?

I checked one out on a website , it was Suk 10 but don't know project name. It was an agent and didn't seem willing to disclose project name.

But if she was correct it was a fair distance from BTS

• 1 year later...

if i am not mistaken, Sukhumvit Plus is close to the On-Nut BTS (not Phrakhanong BTS as mentioned). there is a fairly large drop in property values between Phrakanong and OnNut, with Phrakhanong basically the outer boundary of being able to say "living in the Sukhumvit area".

having said that, the Onnut BTS is very lively with Lotus supercenter, and, being the last stop currently for the BTS (until the extensions come online later next year), also somewhat of an exchange point for public transport.

being that it is completed, its probably good to go and check it out, and compare to those around Phrakanong-Ekkamai-Thonglor (Life@65, condoOne67, Nusasiri, Sansiri38, NobleRemix). the developers of sukhumvit plus are reputable (sansiri-property plus), although they have had some hiccups recently.

if i am not mistaken, Sukhumvit Plus is close to the On-Nut BTS (not Phrakhanong BTS as mentioned

Yes, you are mistaken.

Sukhiumvit Plus is 100m from BTS Phrakhanong.

We lived there for 2 years, were among first tenants to move in in October 2006. Moved out September this year.

The building is full of middle class Thais, only 17 out of 384 units are owned by foreigners.

Many students (BKK Uni is walking distance, about 1.2km) live in studios their parents (like the OP intends too) bought for that purpose.

Good: handy location to BTS and BKK Uni, well presented, well managed (I watched "change of the guard" where 12 security staff were lined up and commanded like soldiers), well kept (there could be 20 cleaners working during day hours).

Gym, sauna.

Business center, where you can meet someone without taking them to your condo.

Bad: swimming pool although very nice presented is deep and does not receive enough sun. The water is ice cold rendering the pool useless 5-6 months of a year. Now, for example.

2 BRs are really nice and feel roomy, 2 baths.

The prices were 2.2-2.6 mil for a studio (were 1.8-2.0 off plan in 2003), 3.2-3.6 for 1BR and 5.2-5.6 for 2BR.

The variation in prices usually comes from condo location with those on the inner side of the building (no direct sunlight) with pool view being more expensive.

There is an agency at ground floor, "acute realty" (acuterealty.com) that rents and sells the units. Prices in the shop window are those advertised on the Internet. Nice, friendly, professional, English speaking staff.

Why did not we buy in there?

While we were renting, the circumstances were better than now, the money to buy was yielding same or more money than rent while sitting an non-resident Australian bank account. Just 1 month after we moved out it was not like that any more. Also, we have no reason to go into Bangkok city at all, the airport is on "our" side now.

Compared to Sukhumvit Plus, the Waterford tucked in a crappy soi 500m away is a dump. Stay away from that place, there are owners who stopped paying their levies thus bringing the whole place in a downward spiral. Also the ceilings in there are rather low, 2.2m or 2.3m, making you feel squashed.

I will post some pictures later.

Edited by think_too_mut

I will post some pictures later.

Here they are, 9 of them.

The building's foyer. Always like this, sometimes people talk to RE agents there, wait in an aircon environment for school bus to come, some do whatever without taking people to their condo. Clean and nice:

suk6.JPG

The gym (it is a bit bigger than in the pic). The treadmill is most popular and gets broken but quickly repaired:

suk5.JPG

The skytrain. Gliding over the Sukhumvit. That other circle is Carefour On Nut.

suk10.JPG

The pool:

suk1.JPG

The "business center" is that corner room. Students use it to meet theit colleagues or tutors:

suk7.jpg

That another corner room is a "game room".

Enough to host 20 kids for a birthday party. 150B per hour to rent.

suk8.jpg

The view over the area and Rama 4 Rd:

suk4.JPG

When we moved in, brand new..1BR 20K baht...th bedroom...to the left of the view is the Waterford:

suk2.JPG

Living room:

suk3.JPG

We enjoyed staying there (apart from the cold pool for several months). I would recommend the place to someone who has 2-3 months a year owner/relatives occupancy.

The same level of convenience and quality would cost at least 100US$ a day.

Edited by think_too_mut