Thailand Post raises prices for letters and parcels for first time in 18 years

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: INN

Thai media INN reported on an announcement from Thailand Post about the first increase in charges for certain letters and parcels in 18 years.

Letters under 10 grams weight will still be 3 baht.

But letters and parcels over ten grams are increasing in price from July 6th.

INN didn't say how much.

They just went with a promotion from Thailand Post that said charges for EMS start at 25 baht Monday to Saturday and only 19 baht on Sundays. 

Further details can be obtained from www.thailandpost.co.th, said the media. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

Just now, CharlieH said:

International prices were raised some time back, nothing in the media about that as I recall.

Post office these days, by comparison seem deserted, rarely have to queue these days.

I think all the courier services have hit the PO very had.

Went into the Sathorn Post office on Monday to mail some items and the place was packed at 9am....must have gone at a busy time  que number was 66 and they were on 22. Took an hour.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

But letters and parcels over ten grams are increasing in price from July 6th.

INN didn't say how much.

It's July 8th already. Doesn't anybody know? Wonder if this means Immigration will want more than 10 baht of stamps now on the 90 Day mailed return of receipt?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They just went with a promotion from Thailand Post that said charges for EMS start at 25 baht Monday to Saturday and only 19 baht on Sundays. 

If only the post offices opened on a Sunday!

A few years ago when I order items at Aliexpress, you can count on it the post office take care for it.

Now, when you order at the same website in China you'll not be sure you'll get your parcel because private companies will bring it to you.

Recently I order a double-walled drinking glass, and I got face cream, because somewhere in Thailand they mixed up the tracking number.

Complaining at Ali doesn't help, they refer to the carrier, so you loos everything.

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

Wonder if this means Immigration will want more than 10 baht of stamps now on the 90 Day mailed return of receipt?

When I was doing mail-in reports (due to a 300km round trip) the Immigration guidelines said 10 Baht, the IO said 5 Baht and the post office kept saying 3 Baht, so I went with the 3 Baht stamp, I'd no problems, other than late returns (e.g. 3 weeks, which I blamed the Post Office for), but 1 or 2 others using the same office kept getting "told off" for using 5 Baht stamps by notes added to their receipt telling them the correct fee is 10 Baht.

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I buy stuff thought the post every day, 3 baht not a big issue. When I try explaining to the wife a 40 baht parcel here would be about 400 in the UK she does not believe me

Same re Australia except that Australia Post regularly announces 2 weeks etc., delays on delivery of letters and small parcels. Plus if they can't very easily find an address they send a card (suddenly the postman can find your address) telling you to pick up your parcel at a local PO.

I called the tel. no on the card, it's a national PO centre, full of lame excuses but no strategy to get the small parcel to me. I insisted strongly that the sender had paid for delivery to the address on the parcel (my home address), and said I would contact my local member of parliament. Within 2 hrs a knock on my door and a parcel. Overall their service is awful. 

12 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

When I was doing mail-in reports (due to a 300km round trip) the Immigration guidelines said 10 Baht, the IO said 5 Baht and the post office kept saying 3 Baht, so I went with the 3 Baht stamp, I'd no problems, other than late returns (e.g. 3 weeks, which I blamed the Post Office for), but 1 or 2 others using the same office kept getting "told off" for using 5 Baht stamps by notes added to their receipt telling them the correct fee is 10 Baht.

I always used 3 baht stamps at Chaeng Wattana. Why would you use a 10 baht stamp if the P.O. says it is only 3 baht. Is Immigration wanting farangs to subsidise the Thai Post Office?  Strange

1 hour ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Is Immigration wanting farangs to subsidise the Thai Post Office?

Not just the Post Office the whole country, justification based on my local office requirements

1) excess stamps for 90 day report or fuel to go there and currently 8 photocopies per visit (OK online now is excellent)

2) fuel to travel to get "their" TM7 and 4 associated forms, cannot use fillable online version

3) flimsiest of excuses to make you go get more photos for your submission

4) bank letters and now annual statements as well as copies of the passbook pages, only copied pages back to 2018 for 2021 submission, no it has to be the entire book i.e. back to 2014

Total Pack to be submitted next year stands at something like 26 pages for a retirement extension

Apologies for the rant, need to get it off my chest, again, at least the local office is local and not 700+ kilometers round trip as was the case before