Conditions to buy a motorcycle

5 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

No you do not need a Thai Drivers license first. To actually buy it you will need the funds. You will also need a proof of address, where you live. For that you need to go to immigration and obtain a Residence Certificate.

Thanks ! An international driving license issued in Germany costs about 15 euros and is valid for 3 years.
If this is accepted in Thailand in the long term, then I don't want to get a Thai driver's license. Or does the Thai driving license have any advantages?

You can use the Thai Driving License for checking into hotels ( don't have to show passport), also for lots of other things where proof of ID is required.. it's fairly easy to get, and in my opinion definitely worth it, if you plan on spending a long time over here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, galenjones said:

Thanks ! An international driving license issued in Germany costs about 15 euros and is valid for 3 years.
If this is accepted in Thailand in the long term, then I don't want to get a Thai driver's license. Or does the Thai driving license have any advantages?

As another member has said, if you are staying in Thailand for an extended time, which it appears you are as you want to buy a motorcycle, then it would be best to get a Thai license.

• Thanks 1

Make sure you check to see how long you may drive on an IDL and still have your vehicle insurance remain valid. Some insurers may require a policyholder to get a Thai driver's license after a specific period of time, typically 90 days or so.

The IDL is really intended for tourists or short-term visitors and not those intending to stay longer periods of time. My suggestion would be to get a Thai DL and remove doubt about legality and insurance coverage.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MarkT63 said:

Technically if you have been in Thailand for more than three months you are supposed to get a Thai driving license. Pretty sure it is not enforced but it is actually the law.

I believe you are correct.

"Pretty sure it is not enforced but it is actually the law."  

Most laws aren't enforced in Thailand? ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

There is no such law

I think it's more to do with insurance than law

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Martin71 said:

You can use the Thai Driving License for checking into hotels ( don't have to show passport), also for lots of other things where proof of ID is required.. it's fairly easy to get, and in my opinion definitely worth it, if you plan on spending a long time over here.

Maybe its changed--but I thought they wanted to check your Passport not for ID but for IO... I was told by one hotel that they fax through to IO every night what foreigners are staying at hotel.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Maybe its changed--but I thought they wanted to check your Passport not for ID but for IO... I was told by one hotel that they fax through to IO every night what foreigners are staying at hotel.......

I think hotels are happy to accept driving license ID as it has your passport number on it .. and they can just put that onto the TM30 form that they send to immigration every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, galenjones said:

I will be arriving soon with a Non-O visa and an international driver's license.
Can I buy a motorcycle in Thailand or do I have to get a Thai driver's license first?

A driving licence (Thai or foreign) is not a requirement to buy and/or register a vehicle in Thailand.

• Thanks 1