What am I growing??

Hello all.....

I recently bought a couple of plants from the market. I asked the woman if she knows if they are male or female...? I have asked a few other sellers this and they all tell me its too early to tell. Am I growing hemp here or is this cannabis ? Can you tell by the photo? I really dont know....

Any help very very much appreciated.

292735348_4649825501784611_2646560677264917231_n.jpg

Thai landrace, Cannabis, sativa.

My guesses, based on the photo, leaf geometry and overall stretch.

Assume grown from seed, so probably 50-50 M/F.

Get them into a bigger pot. May be too late to top/FIM?

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Thai landrace, Cannabis, sativa.

My guesses, based on the photo, leaf geometry and overall stretch.

Assume grown from seed, so probably 50-50 M/F.

Get them into a bigger pot. May be too late to top/FIM?

May be too late to top/FIM?.......Sorry could you explain that.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

You pinch the top off about 8" from the ground just above 2 leaves.

Then new branches grow from the join of each of those 2 leaves.

Giving you a bushy plant instead of a long lanky stick plant.

You can use the top aas a cutting for a new plant.

Here's one I did a few days back, the new growth is very fast.

Sadly this is plant looking like a boy!

IMG_20220718_124421.jpg

topped.jpg

Very interesting. Thanks.

On 7/21/2022 at 10:36 PM, stoner said:

you cannot tell m or f until you flower the plant. anyone telling you otherwise is uninformed. 

That not exactly true. If you leave the plant to vegetate long enough were it gets maturer the plant will pre-sex an begin to show early pistols or the forming of pollen sacks. Alot of people don't wait this long which is why the sex don't show till forcing flower. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, HauntedForest said:

That not exactly true. If you leave the plant to vegetate long enough were it gets maturer the plant will pre-sex an begin to show early pistols or the forming of pollen sacks. Alot of people don't wait this long which is why the sex don't show till forcing flower. 

asked the master grower and seems you are partially right. at times certain strains may show early signs of sex before flowering. i have vegged plants for months inside in canada in  and never come across this. i didn't know that. i was wrong on that one. 

he said that time is not really the deciding factor. most times it will be genetics. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok....So I now have MORE plants. I bought two more much taller plants a few weeks back...the guy said they were females.....yeah ok, I am a bit clueless still...YES I have googled it..but if someone with a lot more experience than I can set me straight...I owe you a beer. I know that keeping male and females  together isnt good....So, are these plants males or females? Please take a gander...The taller plants seem to be budding...  I think!!??? The first two pics are of plants that are much smaller and have not grown much. These are the same plants I posted pics of the first time. The next 3 are of the new and much taller plants. They are about 5 foot high.

smaller plant 1.jpg

smaller plant 2.jpg

Taller plant 1.jpg

Taller plant 2.jpg

Taller plant 3.jpg

Edited by 248900_1469958220

This plant looks like it has thrip, by the way. The cameras on phones can do weird things so it may be something else but you should look closely at it as if it is thrip they will need dealing with or your yield will be seriously impacted.

thrip.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 1:50 PM, BritManToo said:

You pinch the top off about 8" from the ground just above 2 leaves.

Then new branches grow from the join of each of those 2 leaves.

Giving you a bushy plant instead of a long lanky stick plant.

You can use the top as a cutting for a new plant.

Here's one I did a 3 days back, the new growth is very fast.

Sadly this plant is looking like a boy!

IMG_20220718_124421.jpg

topped.jpg

Better known as shortening the internodal length. And yeah BM I agree looking like a healthy baby boy unfortunately 

• Like 1

Ok, I have taken more pics....it seems based on the advice and pics from you lovely people (thanks) that one is highly likely to be male...Unfortunately it has been right next to another plant that is most likely female?? The likely female is taller and the leaves are a bit bigger???? Strange thing is the plant that seems to be male is starting to bud....or something??? The possible female isnt as much.

Anyway here they are..

The first two are probably the male plant...with some kind of buds growing. The next two are the possible female....Now, if one is a male do I just destroy it? Can I move it away or is there nowhere far enough away??? Its a pity...but..

male possible.jpg

male buds.jpg

possible female 1.jpg

possible female 2.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks all....

I destroyed one of the 4 plants that had those pod looking things...so probably the male....

I have 3 plants left two much shorter and stockier with WIDE leaves and a darker color....and another plant that has grown much quicker, with much narrower leaves....

Indica and Sativa strains??? The two stockier are hemp? The taller plant seems to be making small buds, the shorter stockier plants must be around the same age if not older....but I dont see buds yet.

The first pic is of the shorter stockier plant with wider leaves, the 2nd is the much taller and lighter green plant.

stockier leaves.jpg

possible female 2.jpg

Edited by 248900_1469958220