Police And Tourist Police

I just tried to call the TP again 1155 and still no answer. Pathetic.

PaulAllen you should read the post before you write... Here is the Phone #s you are wanting. Tourist police box *077421281 Chaweng *077414198 Nathon fax 077421360 Tpd Mobile *0836001694 Chaweng

That 1155 is a BKK # and not work in Samui......Stop on in and have a chat with us.We will answer all questions .

In case of accident with a drunken Thai - and I didnt make a mistake:

Who do I have to call? TP or Police?

And I would be very thankful if you could describe the duties of the TP.

Regards, Claude Feller

Come down to the Tourist Police office in Nathan or BOx in Chewang and ask the questions Would be happy to tell you. It would take a book to explain on Thaivisa.com and there would always be someone out there that did not understand and would make big fuss. Like my Thai wife say alot of Frang have nothing better to do but pick at everything that is wrong... if you dont think things are right you should get out of thailand and go back to the country you came from where all was so well.

Your last comment just underlines why you should not be a tourist cop. Just because people disagree with the concept of farang volunteer tourist police or question their motives it does not mean thay should 'get out of Thailand' as you so eloquently put it.

What training or experience do they have for this role?

Have they been vetted?

Do any of you speak Thai?

I cannot think of another country which would allow untrained foreigners armed with pepper sprays etc to roam their streets why because it is a bad idea.

I think you are taking things out of context. :D

you were invited very politely to come over to the tourist police and get all your answers replied. I wonder how many of the posters so eager to complain have taken this invitation and went over to the tourist police to have a chat with the farrangs who are volunteers?? did you ?

i fail to see why you need to attack the guy who is donating his time and effort to help others.

the point he made about get out of thailand was in reference to a post that things are realy bad here. hence if things are so bad dont stay.

As per you own views about police volunteers. please google police volunteers and see that nearly every country in the world uses them.

In thailand the idea of long staying forigners assisting the local police is a welcomed idea. the locals dont speak good english and dont understand western mentality and those volunteers actually help out.

it allso shows the locals that some forigners are actualy caring enough about the tourists to do something and are not only here to sit around bars gulp beer all day while whining how bad and ridculous things are. :D .

Many countries in the world use police volunteers yes but they are local people who have been trained for the job. Here they are foreigners if you cannot see the difference then I cannot be bothered to explain it to you.

Alot of foreigners I know run businesses here and do not sit around all day 'gulping beer' many of them also contribute and support local charities such as the Rotary Club.

I have yet to meet one person who thinks this is a good idea and most question the type of person who would volunteer for this and their motives I certainly have better things to do then visit their box to ask them what they do.

I will be writing to the new PM in the Uk to suggest they start arming untrained foreigners who hardly speak English to patrol all tourist areas and will await his response! :o

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many countries in the world use police volunteers yes but they are local people who have been trained for the job. Here they are foreigners if you cannot see the difference then I cannot be bothered to explain it to you.

Alot of foreigners I know run businesses here and do not sit around all day 'gulping beer' many of them also contribute and support local charities such as the Rotary Club.

I have yet to meet one person who thinks this is a good idea and most question the type of person who would volunteer for this and their motives I certainly have better things to do then visit their box to ask them what they do.

I will be writing to the new PM in the Uk to suggest they start arming untrained foreigners who hardly speak English to patrol all tourist areas and will await his response! :o

This a pure nonsense!

Why they hire english spoken/native farangs as volunteer? Because there is a demand for this.

Why there is a demand? Because you cannot await that the local TP speaks english well enough to understand the problems of drunken english hooligans (very hard to understand!) or of german, australian, swedish, italian and whatever tourists.

And how you know they are untrained?

Sorry, but comments like yours just ruin an interesting topic.

This a pure nonsense!

Why they hire english spoken/native farangs as volunteer? Because there is a demand for this.

Why there is a demand? Because you cannot await that the local TP speaks english well enough to understand the problems of drunken english hooligans (very hard to understand!) or of german, australian, swedish, italian and whatever tourists.

Is there a demand ? The only demand I can see is from the TP wannabees.

Also if they do not speak fluent Thai then how are they able to communiacte more effectively with the Thai police then the tourists themselves.

Are they trained? In most countries you would undergo an intense residentual training programme before you would be let loose and the very basic requirement would be to speak the local language.

My home country has more tourists then Thailand and there is a very good reason why they do not adopt this approach to their policing.

I apologise if a little common sense has ruined an interesting subject for you!

This a pure nonsense!

lets get some facts right.

Is there a demand ? The only demand I can see is from the TP wannabees. no its actually came from the TP asking forigenrs to "volenteer". you know do something not only for mony.

Also if they do not speak fluent Thai then how are they able to communiacte more effectively with the Thai police then the tourists themselves. because what they do speak is better then tourists, and they can allso assist the touris in understanding what to do and how to avoid problems. they act as a bridge between cultures.

Are they trained? In most countries you would undergo an intense residentual training programme before you would be let loose and the very basic requirement would be to speak the local language.

realy now!! in what country do they go through "intense residentual training programme"

My home country has more tourists then Thailand and there is a very good reason why they do not adopt this approach to their policing.

since you pointed it out that you are from the uk lets examin the facts...

london met police has a very extansive volunteer program.

The Met Volunteer Programme (MVP) was established in 2001 with the main aim of engaging the community to volunteer their time to work together with Police to make London a Safer place.

During the last four years the MVP has attracted over 1,000 volunteers in nearly all of its 32 Boroughs. Volunteers are aged from 18 and come from a diverse range of backgrounds. Students, retired people, people between jobs, long term unemployed and those at home involved in childcare are just some of the people who are interested in volunteering their time to assist Police.

and yes they actually use forign students to assist in tourist areas to help translate and solve problems for those tourists that dont speak such good english.

once again.. they invited you to come over sit down and they will answer all your questions.

I did go to speak with them and found a nice bunch of people that are realy set out to help. is it realy that difficult to go and learn a little bit about them before you post your views

Are they trained?

I have yet to read anything on this forum to suggest that Thai police are well-trained or professional in the slightest. Why should the volunteers be held to a much higher standard?

I think volunteer police to help tourists are a good idea. Tourists don't know how things work in most foreign countries they visit and the sight of a farang volunteer cop who can assist them would be welcome for sure.

PaulAllen you should read the post before you write... Here is the Phone #s you are wanting. Tourist police box *077421281 Chaweng *077414198 Nathon fax 077421360 Tpd Mobile *0836001694 Chaweng

That 1155 is a BKK # and not work in Samui......Stop on in and have a chat with us.We will answer all questions .

Regards, Claude Feller

Come down to the Tourist Police office in Nathan or BOx in Chewang and ask the questions Would be happy to tell you. It would take a book to explain on Thaivisa.com and there would always be someone out there that did not understand and would make big fuss. Like my Thai wife say alot of Frang have nothing better to do but pick at everything that is wrong... if you dont think things are right you should get out of thailand and go back to the country you came from where all was so well.

Your last comment just underlines why you should not be a tourist cop. Just because people disagree with the concept of farang volunteer tourist police or question their motives it does not mean thay should 'get out of Thailand' as you so eloquently put it.

Have they been vetted?

I cannot think of another country which would allow untrained foreigners armed with pepper sprays etc to roam their streets why because it is a bad idea.

you were invited very politely to come over to the tourist police and get all your answers replied. I wonder how many of the posters so eager to complain have taken this invitation and went over to the tourist police to have a chat with the farrangs who are volunteers?? did you ?

i fail to see why you need to attack the guy who is donating his time and effort to help others.

the point he made about get out of thailand was in reference to a post that things are realy bad here. hence if things are so bad dont stay.

As per you own views about police volunteers. please google police volunteers and see that nearly every country in the world uses them.

In thailand the idea of long staying forigners assisting the local police is a welcomed idea. the locals dont speak good english and dont understand western mentality and those volunteers actually help out.

it allso shows the locals that some forigners are actualy caring enough about the tourists to do something and are not only here to sit around bars gulp beer all day while whining how bad and ridculous things are. :D .

i am sorry to slag them off but you say that these people are taking there time to help others yet when they put on a police uniform and bowl up and down reggie roas. i get very suspicious of them. truth is i do not trust them. who side are they really on? are they hear to play good cop nad cop. side by side with the thai's

there are other ways to help people without wearing a police uniform. truth is they probably always wanted to be a copper in there own country but they were not good enough. now they have a chnace to become one easily. so they grabbed there chance.

if they took away there uniform thatwould be even worse. these little snakes would be undercover.

in my opimun trying to take away the charm of the lawless samui.

they are getting something ut of it. know does something for nothing

why don't they wear uniforms that say tourist helpers and have a desk next to the station and take away thier hand cuffs.

if they are hear to help they do not need hand cuff. most thai just laugh at them anyway. i sore one tring to direct traffic. the thais were jusy blanking him. i had to laugh. he could do nothing!!!

This a pure nonsense!

Is there a demand ? The only demand I can see is from the TP wannabees. no its actually came from the TP asking forigenrs to "volenteer". you know do something not only for mony.

Also if they do not speak fluent Thai then how are they able to communiacte more effectively with the Thai police then the tourists themselves. because what they do speak is better then tourists, and they can allso assist the touris in understanding what to do and how to avoid problems. they act as a bridge between cultures.

realy now!! in what country do they go through "intense residentual training programme"

The Met Volunteer Programme (MVP) was established in 2001 with the main aim of engaging the community to volunteer their time to work together with Police to make London a Safer place.

During the last four years the MVP has attracted over 1,000 volunteers in nearly all of its 32 Boroughs. Volunteers are aged from 18 and come from a diverse range of backgrounds. Students, retired people, people between jobs, long term unemployed and those at home involved in childcare are just some of the people who are interested in volunteering their time to assist Police.

and yes they actually use forign students to assist in tourist areas to help translate and solve problems for those tourists that dont speak such good english.

once again.. they invited you to come over sit down and they will answer all your questions.

I did go to speak with them and found a nice bunch of people that are realy set out to help. is it realy that difficult to go and learn a little bit about them before you post your views

In the UK they do not have untrained unvetted foreign volunteer tourist police who hardly speak a word of English you are simply wrong.

I would have thought that this forum would be the perfect place for the volunteers to let us know what their role instead of all of us going down individually to talk to them quite barmy!

Please fing below a couple of extracts from the Metropolitan Police in London's website regarding recruitment of volunteer police.

In addition, to be a Special you must:

be sufficiently literate and articulate in English to write short, accurate reports and potentially give evidence in court

be able to cope with the unexpected

be presentable, compassionate and tactful

be willing and able to commit 200 hours a year.

Beyond

As a Special you will have the same powers as regular MPS Police Officers. Unsurprisingly, such responsibility requires that you undergo a thorough grounding in the many aspects of police work that you will carry out.

Firstly, you will attend an extensive training course, during weekends and/or evenings. This will provide you with the basic skills and tools to work in your chosen area. For example:

Powers of arrest

Report book writing

How to prepare your evidence for court

Officer Safety Training

Dealing with awkward situations or people.

You will then be required to continue training by attending further sessions, once a month for 18 months. After this you will go on to receive training throughout your service, as and when required, ensuring your skills and knowledge are up to date and relevant.

http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/default....ticle&ID=61

oops , some here must be thankful that doesn't appear to be the case locally ......................................

I know the Mets criteria maybe alittle too ambitious for Samui I would love to be a fly on the wall here when they started teaching about preparing your evidence for court :o

Once again

Can any one answear how are they vetted????

I know for fact that some Foreign tourist police wouldnt get past character test for British Rail,Let alone special police force Volunteer or otherwise.

Im sure that there are some good well mannered individuals amongst them.....But prove they are checked ,Prove they are not just a attitude waiting to happen.

As said before very very scary.

This a pure nonsense!

In the UK they do not have untrained unvetted foreign volunteer tourist police who hardly speak a word of English you are simply wrong.

I would have thought that this forum would be the perfect place for the volunteers to let us know what their role instead of all of us going down individually to talk to them quite barmy!

they are just wearing the wrong uniform. they should be called tourist infomation guides who work with police. what is the point in wearing a uniform that says tourist police when they don;t have the powers of a policeman and they are supossedly hear to help the tourist. i don't trust them. they are tourist moles.

take away there uniforms they will be plan clothes super grassess. maybe bordem from living here too long conrtibuted to this type of job.

Please fing below a couple of extracts from the Metropolitan Police in London's website regarding recruitment of volunteer police.

In addition, to be a Special you must:

be sufficiently literate and articulate in English to write short, accurate reports and potentially give evidence in court

be able to cope with the unexpected

be willing and able to commit 200 hours a year.

Beyond

As a Special you will have the same powers as regular MPS Police Officers. Unsurprisingly, such responsibility requires that you undergo a thorough grounding in the many aspects of police work that you will carry out.

Firstly, you will attend an extensive training course, during weekends and/or evenings. This will provide you with the basic skills and tools to work in your chosen area. For example:

Powers of arrest

Report book writing

How to prepare your evidence for court

Officer Safety Training

Dealing with awkward situations or people.

You will then be required to continue training by attending further sessions, once a month for 18 months. After this you will go on to receive training throughout your service, as and when required, ensuring your skills and knowledge are up to date and relevant.

http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/default....ticle&ID=61

i doubt even the thai TP's go through all that

Regards, Claude Feller

Have they been vetted?

as for leaviing thailand and going back home becuase of complaining. remeber the reasons why we left. probably to get away from other forang. now we have forang policemen. that is just taking the chocholate digestive.

i suggest you wear a different uniform. what did you really expect from the day your joined. that people would kiss the ground you walk on. everywhere round the world people don't like police. so by becoming a policeman in a place where people have come to get away from the likes of people like you is like rubbing our noses in the rubbish from our native countries.

samui has crime like everywhere else. that is part of its character. a lawless island. most people behave. it isn;t africa. the truth is that there is not much you can do to change anything apart from make people more angry.

can understand if u want to help forangs but why wear hand cuffs why Where uniform saying T.P why not become a Tousist Advise citerns. you would not because u think wearing a uniform gives you power.

Regards, Claude Feller

Have they been vetted?

as for leaviing thailand and going back home becuase of complaining. remeber the reasons why we left. probably to get away from other forang. now we have forang policemen. that is just taking the chocholate digestive.

i suggest you wear a different uniform. what did you really expect from the day your joined. that people would kiss the ground you walk on. everywhere round the world people don't like police. so by becoming a policeman in a place where people have come to get away from the likes of people like you is like rubbing our noses in the rubbish from our native countries.

samui has crime like everywhere else. that is part of its character. a lawless island. most people behave. it isn;t africa. the truth is that there is not much you can do to change anything apart from make people more angry.

can understand if u want to help forangs but why wear hand cuffs why Where uniform saying T.P why not become a Tousist Advise citerns. you would not because u think wearing a uniform gives you power.

what do you mean by samui has crime and that its part of its character?

Regards, Claude Feller

Have they been vetted?

sorry folks,that was directed at Big C,anyway what a good way to promote the island,"Samui has great beaches,fantastic hotels,superb nightlife,oh yeah not forgetting a large crime wave'

Regards, Claude Feller

Have they been vetted?

sorry folks,that was directed at Big C,anyway what a good way to promote the island,"Samui has great beaches,fantastic hotels,superb nightlife,oh yeah not forgetting a large crime wave'

i mean that you have more freedome here. u r not marked by police doing eerythin by the book and having a speed camera on each street.

anyway there would not be much to write about in the paper if it wasn;t for crime. lets face it. everyone loves it. we read books about it. watch fimes about it. new papers are fulll of it. why? becuase that is what sells papers.

any press is good press.

even if a crime was very bad. if you get the internation media on samui. it mputs it on the map. a place that people never herd of before.

maybe lok deeper and find it isn;t so bad after all.

the crime i mean.

sorry but i prefer anorchy. just my view. only mine.

it isn;t really a crime hot spot. i get more problems with kids at bus stops in england. Thailand has a few problems but people don't intimidate me here. maybe i intimidate them but thats thier problem. :o joke

OK my story goes like this 2 years ago i arrived in Thailand didn't know a thing i came out of the old airport and asked a taxi to take me to a nice hotel in bangkok sure enough no hassle and took me to a hotel in pathnum the regent hotel and it was a nice so as i checked in the bell boy got my bags from the taxi anyway to keep it short i was a bag down it was left in the boot of the cab so reception called the cab company with no luck after about 4 hours i get a call from reception the tourist police had called and said my bag was with them at the airport, the taxi driver had waited to see if he got any fares back to my hotel but didn't and would not come through the traffic just to drop my bag off so could i come to the airport and collect it next day at AM i said could we make it later as i have abit of jet lag they said no 10 am see you tomorrow , so AM i turn up at the airport tourist police desk and tell them my name ,, oh yes Mr Colin we have your bag please come and sit down and have a drink , OK thanks i replied , and can i have my bag please yes yes no problem in a moment , i started to think has some one put something in my bag or what this doesn't feel right , id heard all the bad story's and was getting worried then the office door opens and this police officer walks in and says is this him , i stood up and said hello i have come for my bag can i get it please , oh yes your bag of course but first we need some photo's ,?? photos what for whats going on I'm innocent panic jail death sentence god iv only been here a day, next thing is this police man grabs my arm and takes me outside by the main desk followed by 3 more police men then another police man turns up with my bag and looks at me and Say's is this your bag so i took a deep breathe and said yes thats my bag at this point all 5 police men smile and shake my hand then a sixth officer turns up with a camera and starts to take a load of photo.s with each officer handing me my bag back and smiling for the camera then one of them told me it was a publicity thing for the tourist police poster campaign. they each gave me a B/card and told me to phone them anytime for any problem ,,

OK my story goes like this 2 years ago i arrived in Thailand didn't know a thing i came out of the old airport and asked a taxi to take me to a nice hotel in bangkok sure enough no hassle and took me to a hotel in pathnum the regent hotel and it was a nice so as i checked in the bell boy got my bags from the taxi anyway to keep it short i was a bag down it was left in the boot of the cab so reception called the cab company with no luck after about 4 hours i get a call from reception the tourist police had called and said my bag was with them at the airport, the taxi driver had waited to see if he got any fares back to my hotel but didn't and would not come through the traffic just to drop my bag off so could i come to the airport and collect it next day at AM i said could we make it later as i have abit of jet lag they said no 10 am see you tomorrow , so AM i turn up at the airport tourist police desk and tell them my name ,, oh yes Mr Colin we have your bag please come and sit down and have a drink , OK thanks i replied , and can i have my bag please yes yes no problem in a moment , i started to think has some one put something in my bag or what this doesn't feel right , id heard all the bad story's and was getting worried then the office door opens and this police officer walks in and says is this him , i stood up and said hello i have come for my bag can i get it please , oh yes your bag of course but first we need some photo's ,?? photos what for whats going on I'm innocent panic jail death sentence god iv only been here a day, next thing is this police man grabs my arm and takes me outside by the main desk followed by 3 more police men then another police man turns up with my bag and looks at me and Say's is this your bag so i took a deep breathe and said yes thats my bag at this point all 5 police men smile and shake my hand then a sixth officer turns up with a camera and starts to take a load of photo.s with each officer handing me my bag back and smiling for the camera then one of them told me it was a publicity thing for the tourist police poster campaign. they each gave me a B/card and told me to phone them anytime for any problem ,,

i love all that shit. proper nutters th thai's

it isn;t really a crime hot spot. i get more problems with kids at bus stops in england. Thailand has a few problems but people don't intimidate me here. maybe i intimidate them but thats thier problem. :o joke

The only thing you intimidate is a spell checker.

I have a feeling you get a lot of problems from people. Your posts are way out there and you assume way too much. You speak as if you know a lot about a lot but to people who really do know a lot about a lot you apparently do not. (wow, that rhymes)

I have met with many of the volunteers and they by no means have any type of desire to be in "power" and none of them wear handcuffs. They have absolutely no police power at all and they all know that. They are merely here to provide assistance to the TP dealing (speaking) with foreigners. They provide an excellent service. One day when you need them you will understand why.

That's a funny story! :o

Thanks for that.

can never for see a day when i will need this lot. if you live here and need the police the MIB are the ones to go to. the ones i see have the cuffs and the sprays. the best tourist plice were the guys on the bicycles. the tourist police now are a waste of tie its the real cops that matter.

I would give the FP money to the MIB, since they CAN do an arrest, not just talk. Why pay good Baht for uniforms that mean you'r a translater? Doen't make sense. And was wondering about Samui & Islands municipality? It was so close some months back, now it's hushed up! WHY? Most of you pay taxes-LOL-well, those that do, don't you want some good changes for your Island?

Edited by SamuiJens

Southwest 19:

I agree with everything you have said. I am sure that 90% of the ferang residents on Samui would agree with everything you have said to be honest - though it would not seem the case on this thread. Consider though, that many of the established posters on the Samui forum are pretty conservative. The idea of authority, regulations and actualy anything that will prevent 'those blasted pithering hooligans' from running amok apeals to them. Trust me SW19, your opinion is likely shared by most of the people who live on Samui, but not this forum.

Quote of the day comes from Big C;

"truth is they probably always wanted to be a copper in there own country but they were not good enough. now they have a chnace to become one easily. so they grabbed there chance."

Fantastic stuff Big C. These guys are purely in it for the uniform. Anyone who actualy thinks they care a flying bugger about helping the community is deluded.... its all about the self percieved 'prestige' of being a ferang copper.

I know of one guy, without mentioning names, who is now a ferang copper and previously voluntered as ferang security for the first big Coco Blues festival. Couple of years back. It was ammusing to watch.... all these ferang guys, running around chests puffed out with black t shirts proclaiming in big white letters 'security'. Anyway, this guy would sleep, eat, drink, fart and fark with this t shirt on. Even weeks after the event, you would see him poncing around in his shirt. He had one of these little walkie talkie things with a cable attached to an earpiece. On his day off, he catualy went to the pub, proud as punch, wearing his security t shirt and had his little secret service style earpeace with the cable running down his back.... BUT IT WASNT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING! He left the actual walkie talkie thing on site, but went down to the pub showing off his little earpice, not attached to anything. This guy is now a ferang copper. Speaks for itself, dont you think?

I agree that the intentions of the Thai police are spot on. They have developed the concept of ferang police with honest intentions. The pitty is, they attracted the wrong crowd by offering a uniform and hand cuffs.

I wonder how many people would have voluntered if there was no uniform?