Police And Tourist Police

It amazes me how so many of you think you know what you're talking about but don't. Stickinakettle and BigC, thank you for proving my point.

The volunteers do not wear a uniform. There is no uniform other than a hat and they don't have to wear that. The Major bought all the volunteers a yellow King shirt but that is it. They are only allowed to carry a cell phone and flashlight at night. They are not issued anything and have to pay for everything themselves.

The actual Thai tourist police have the same authority as the MIB but are just focused on taking care of the tourists. They go through the same training as the MIB and have all the same authority. The volunteers are there to help bridge the culture gap. That doesn't really allow for people to have "power" as so many of you think that is the only reason they join.

Obviously none of you nay sayers have met any of them. There are currently only 6 volunteers and 3 of them are women. Maybe a couple of volunteers got carried away at some point but it is no longer the case.

It just makes me sick to see some of you posting crap that just is not true. I think you think you can ascertain everything from behind your keyboard and stick a stereotype on it and therefore know everything about it and everyone recognizes it as such and it really brings down the post. It degrades it into an immature bad mouthing session. Your comments are not based in reality.

"These guys are purely in it for the uniform. Anyone who actualy thinks they care a flying bugger about helping the community is deluded.... its all about the self percieved 'prestige' of being a ferang copper." This could not be further from the truth. One, there is no uniform and two they really want to help. The island is full of decent people giving back to the community and this is just another example of that.

So get off you fat ass and go visit them and talk to them and then come and post your trash if you still want to. Other than that keep your uninformed comments to yourself. Stickettle and BigC, you guys can just PM each other this waste of pixel space.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me how so many of you think you know what you're talking about but don't. Stickinakettle and BigC, thank you for proving my point.

The volunteers do not wear a uniform. There is no uniform other than a hat and they don't have to wear that. The Major bought all the volunteers a yellow King shirt but that is it. They are only allowed to carry a cell phone and flashlight at night. They are not issued anything and have to pay for everything themselves.

The actual Thai tourist police have the same authority as the MIB but are just focused on taking care of the tourists. They go through the same training as the MIB and have all the same authority. The volunteers are there to help bridge the culture gap. That doesn't really allow for people to have "power" as so many of you think that is the only reason they join.

Obviously none of you nay sayers have met any of them. There are currently only 6 volunteers and 3 of them are women. Maybe a couple of volunteers got carried away at some point but it is no longer the case.

It just makes me sick to see some of you posting crap that just is not true. I think you think you can ascertain everything from behind your keyboard and stick a stereotype on it and therefore know everything about it and everyone recognizes it as such and it really brings down the post. It degrades it into an immature bad mouthing session. Your comments are not based in reality.

"These guys are purely in it for the uniform. Anyone who actualy thinks they care a flying bugger about helping the community is deluded.... its all about the self percieved 'prestige' of being a ferang copper." This could not be further from the truth. One, there is no uniform and two they really want to help. The island is full of decent people giving back to the community and this is just another example of that.

So get off you fat ass and go visit them and talk to them and then come and post your trash if you still want to. Other than that keep your uninformed comments to yourself. Stickettle and BigC, you guys can just PM each other this waste of pixel space.

you really dont appreciate the help, the help that you may need one day from such officials, you need the help when your head is split open on the road after falling from you 150b a day rental motocyc, and then you decide to utter the words........help me.........groan, what did i say on thaivisa, those guys ...they just wear hatsssss, ah im dying, ................

...The volunteers do not wear a uniform. There is no uniform other than a hat and they don't have to wear that. The Major bought all the volunteers a yellow King shirt but that is it. They are only allowed to carry a cell phone and flashlight at night. They are not issued anything and have to pay for everything themselves.

I agree with you and thanx for some new infos.

Just some questions:

- How can I recognize a TP volunteer?

- Can you give some examples of their duties?

Many farang residents are reading here, so your answer would be wide spread and not everybody had to walk by the TP office.

Edited by ClaudeFeller

...The volunteers do not wear a uniform. There is no uniform other than a hat and they don't have to wear that. The Major bought all the volunteers a yellow King shirt but that is it. They are only allowed to carry a cell phone and flashlight at night. They are not issued anything and have to pay for everything themselves.

I agree with you and thanx for some new infos.

Just some questions:

- How can I recognize a TP volunteer?

- Can you give some examples of their duties?

Many farang residents are reading here, so your answer would be wide spread and not everybody had to walk by the TP office.

easy to recognise they DO have uniforms, they are best forgot about just deal with the regular police, as the name says they are for the tourist, not the likes of us. i have never ever seen them at the scene of an accident. they only seem to venture up and down soi reggae early at night. suggest you try the local pool league to meet up with them.

There is a uniform maybe they bought it themselves, maybe we should have a whip round for them but don't hold your breath,also they have tourist police on the front and back of their bikes and even a red light. They also carry an assortment of toys which if they are not careful may end up where the sun don't shine.

Next you will be telling us all they do is help little old ladies cross the road. :o

Maybe your the one that needs to get up off your fat ass as you so eloquently put it I for one will not be requiring their services.

Please find below some extracts from the Samui Tourist Police website http://samuitouristpolice.com/tpv_equipment_regulations.htm

In future please check your facts before rubbishing other members posts to save you from embarrasing yourself.

Uniform

• Poloshirt / Shirt (white) *

*on both shirt-sleeves a TPD Patch, the sign “Tourist Police Samui” and the additive “Volunteer” must be evident.

• <LI class=MsoNormal>Trousers long (black or dark-blue) <LI class=MsoNormal>Socks (black or wei฿ <LI class=MsoNormal>Shoes (dark leather) <LI class=MsoNormal>ID-Card (visibly carried)
  • Name-Sign (recommended)

Equipment

Pepper spray

<LI class=MsoNormal>Electrical Taser <LI class=MsoNormal>Handcuffs <LI class=MsoNormal>Telescope Baton <LI class=MsoNormal>Flashlight

Oh, it's on a website. It must be true then.

So you haven't actually seen any of the volunteers you just looked at this website and figured it all out right? This gives more credence to my point about people sitting at their keyboards and somehow still able to know what is ACTUALLY happing out in real world.

I have sat down with Noel, the team leader just last week and had a long conversation with him and he kept stressing the point that they do not wear uniforms. I guess I should have told him "but you do, southwest19 and the website say so!"

Who's embarrassed now?

So you haven't actually seen any of the volunteers you just looked at this website and figured it all out right? This gives more credence to my point about people sitting at their keyboards and somehow still able to know what is ACTUALLY happing out in real world.

I have sat down with Noel, the team leader just last week and had a long conversation with him and he kept stressing the point that they do not wear uniforms. I guess I should have told him "but you do, southwest19 and the website say so!"

Who's embarrassed now?

Wuuguuwuu,

So these guys have their own website and whatever is written on there is not what they do or act on in real life? Hmm, that instills trust, doesn't it?

Who's embarrassed now?

Wuuguuwuu,

So these guys have their own website and whatever is written on there is not what they do or act on in real life? Hmm, that instills trust, doesn't it?

Makes me think, who are the brain (farang) Police.........when you can't even trust their web site? Since Noel says so, I guess it MUST be TRUE?!

If you folks where not confused before, I'm sure you are now! Are FP playing bounty hunter, like The Dog? Just asking?.......Noel?

Edited by SamuiJens

Who's embarrassed now?

take a look at the website and you will see the pictures of them IN there uniforms, i see them many times, one lives about 100 yards from me and i see him most days.

To be honnest I dont care about uniforms or website or sb talk to sb somewhere. I wanna know:

- What are their duties?

- How can they help me in case of robbery / accident?

I cannot be too difficult to give a short explanation.

Thanx to the TP in advance.

Fully agree Claude,

I don't necessarily oppose a FP but sofar their presentation has not been very trustworthy. Besides some outcries of go and see them and talk to them (as if everybody has time for that) no other question seems to be answered satisfactory.

Me thinks it's about time the FP start to work on obtaining a bit more positive profile and maybe make the public a bit more aware of what they are and what they do.

This discussion here has definately not contributed to a positive image IMHO.

Who's embarrassed now?

:D Do you do weddings?

Your previous job wasn't the former Iraqi Information Minister was it :o

I have seen them you can spot them a mile off. I also happen to know someone who was one (until he thought better of it) and staggered out of a bar one night and left his combat belt behind.

If they do not where uniforms then how does anyone know who they are??? So what you are saying is they are now plain clothes volunteers. You could not make it up!!

One thing I have never been accused of is being timid and hiding behind my keyboard keep the posts coming they are great.

Very unembarrassed Southwest.

The BCCT sent out an e-mail from the Tourist Police department recently promoting their volunteer program. There was a thread on it recently but I can't be bothered to find it. The gist of it is that they should wear uniforms and the training consists of how to defend yourself and how to write up your notes. Their is no law training as I assume you are not allowed to make arrests. You are basically supposed to act as go-between between the police and the tourist. Lets face it, after reading posts on forums like this most tourist will have the impression that all Thai police are corrupt and will do nothing to help them so will be less likely to report anything. A farang face may give them some reassurance. They also do a criminal record check. I would guess that any wannabe Dirty Harrys wouldn't last long before they got bored or p*ssed everyone off and were sacked.

Below is the full e-mail:

TOURIST POLICE DEPARTMENT - VOLUNTEER PROGRAM

INVITATION FROM TOURIST POLICE DIVISION TO BCCT

Thailand is one of the heavens of Tourism and Foreign residences for Business and Retirement. The Tourist Police Division has the responsibility of looking after the safety and provide convenience to tourists both Thais

and foreigners.

In order to provide the safety, protection and the convenient of the foreigners' residence and foreigners' tourists in Thailand, Tourist Police Division has set up a Project name is Assistant Tourist Police Department (Volunteer Program) to support the Tourist Police in communications and make understanding in between foreigners' and Tourist Police.

Don't miss your chance to be a member of the 1st Volunteer program in the world "Assistant Tourist Police Department (Volunteer Program)" as TPD

officers only 1,200 national wide.

We need your assistance.

Thailand Tourist Police Department is welcoming you to be a member of providing safety and assistance your own citizens in time of trouble while visiting or live in Thailand.

Mission:

? To provide safety and assist your own citizens in time of trouble while visiting or residence in Thailand.

? To give great service, warmth, comfort and confident during their stay.

? To spent your free time for meaningful cause

Requirements:

1. No age limit

2. Both male and female

3. Open to all Nationalities

4. Able to speak English or Thai (able to communicate) 5. No criminal records in Thailand and Home Country 6. Able to assist during free time, number of days depending on availability of the volunteer 7. Day time or evening time in Headquarters or at Airports (Suvarnabhoom/DonMuang) 8.

Evening time in TPD check points in Bangkok

How to Apply:

1. Fill in the application together with your resume and photo size 2 x 2 inch (AVAILABLE FROM - [email protected]).

2. Send your hard copies by fax or return to your own Head Bureau.

3. All your documents will send to Thailand Tourist Police Department and your Embassy to check your basic background for criminal record.

4. The result of your applying will be informed.

After Approval:

1. TPD will provide format of Uniform for self-prepare 2. TPD will give notice date to set up training:

2.1 How to defend yourself in case of incident.

2.2 How to report your work on duty.

Further Information or Need Assistance:

Contact: TPD Advisor - Mr. Edward Kiti's Office/ Miss Patita T. (Dee). Tel:

02 699 8593/02 669 9797. Mobile: 081 8280431. Fax: 02 699 8914. Email:

[email protected]

IF YOU ARE REPLYING POSITIVELY PLEASE EMAIL - [email protected] - SO THAT WE MAY SET UP A MEETING WITH THE TOURIST POLICE DIVISION

Okay, TP is here to give a warm good feeling to me and to themselfs. But in case of accident / robbery:

Can I call Mr. TP and will he give me a warm feeling while I have to deal with the normal thai police on Samui??

ClaudeFeller, and I thought you talked to them about 10 days back or so?

Okay, TP is here to give a warm good feeling to me and to themselfs. But in case of accident / robbery:

Can I call Mr. TP and will he give me a warm feeling while I have to deal with the normal thai police on Samui??

ClaudeFeller, and I thought you talked to them about 10 days back or so?

NO - no mood to hear: "You better go back to your country".

From my understanding the Tourist Police are exactly the same as the regular bobbies in terms of powers etc, but their remit is to prevent/investigate crimes against tourists.

If you are a resident you would be more likely to call the regulars, as it would be in their remit to do any actual investigative work for non-tourist crimes. I am sure if you called the TPD they would assist you, but call in the regulars to take over if there were further enquiries, statements to be taken etc

I think a few posters are mistaking volunteers with Tourist Police. The Tourist Police are a branch of the Police department and staffed by Thai policemen (and women).

I saw a truck today that has police lights on the top and has the words Traffic Police on it. It was dark and could not see who was driving it. It is probably just a vehicle for whatever cop owns it just to drive around in and look important because it sure the hel_l isn't out enforcing the traffic laws.

• 4 weeks later...
OK, we can all relax now. Bad policemen have been taken care of!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/08/0...y.ap/index.html

from the link:

Police officers caught littering, parking in a prohibited area, or arriving late -- among other misdemeanors -- will be forced to stay in the division office and wear the armband all day, said Police Col. Pongpat Chayaphan. The officers won't wear the armband in public.

But if the officers "lose face" won't they just have the responsible party whacked - or do it themselves??

OK, we can all relax now. Bad policemen have been taken care of!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/08/0...y.ap/index.html

from the link:

Police officers caught littering, parking in a prohibited area, or arriving late -- among other misdemeanors -- will be forced to stay in the division office and wear the armband all day, said Police Col. Pongpat Chayaphan. The officers won't wear the armband in public.

But if the officers "lose face" won't they just have the responsible party whacked - or do it themselves??

Hope they have enough of this armbands on stock.

Stop joking, things are changing for better!!

WARNING

This thread regards the Police and Tourist Police.

Those of you that insist on using this and other threads to post unnecessary negative comments regarding the Tourist Police Volunteers will be suspended from the forum.

Totster