Remedial Help for son-in-law

NewGuy

I hope this will yield something.

My son-in-law, let’s call him Chai, has had many problems, mainly alcohol and, sometime, ya ba. He’s fourty, looks okay, hardly ever works, and at some point, on his last legs. He calls his mom, my wife, many times every day complaining. So many excuses.

Anyway, what can be done? He lives in Phitsanulok. Is there some place to go in pursuit of sobriety? Every day, my wife listens for hours (no exaggeration) but her advice isn’t listen to. At all.

Is there a wat that would take him? A place whose authority would help bring him straight?

He is near Bang Rakam.

Cheers

There are certainly treatment options, both government run and Buddhist affiliated. Also expensive private ones. And Thai speaking chapters  of Narcotics Anonymous (free,). 

See 

However NONE of these are going to help in the least  unless he himself is strongly motivated to get off drugs.  Which does not sound like the case at all.

Better to just try to support your wife on setting limits and detaching a bit emotionally. Above all she needs to understand that she cannot solve his problems  or change him...only he can do that,  and he probably won't. 

There is a small government psych hospital in Pitsanoluk town.  I don't know what if anything it offers by way of counselling but she can try. It can certainly help with treatment or referral for treatment for the son but I am doubtful he would agree. Can't hurt for her to try talking with them though.

https://mapcarta.com/W577455331

• Thanks 1

Positive update. 4 days ago the son-in-law in question had a very sore lower stomach. He stayed overnight in the local hospital and was told that he had a ‘hard liver’ and that unless he stopped drinking he would die. He said the doctor told him he could ‘drink a bit’. I will be up there in three weeks and will harp on his upcoming demise - advice here please.