Drain Holes On The Main Road Big Problem

i am sure this has beenn broguht up already.

but the new man holes they put in the road are at the wrong angle. i knew this along time ago. when they cause traffic chaos installing them.

i already new that they would break when the lorries dumped there crap onto them. so now you have motor bikes bloking half the raod trying to avoid them and people and cars fallingn down them. when it rains you cannot see them. so u drive along then disopear down the trap doors.

maybe me fustrated to see the thais do all that work installing them then just doing the simple thing wrong and install them side ways rarther than length ways.

in dunno T.I.T

This is Thailand

but the new man holes they put in the road are at the wrong angle. i knew this along time ago. when they cause traffic chaos installing them.

i already new that they would break when the lorries dumped there crap onto them. so now you have motor bikes bloking half the raod trying to avoid them and people and cars fallingn down them. when it rains you cannot see them. so u drive along then disopear down the trap doors.

maybe me fustrated to see the thais do all that work installing them then just doing the simple thing wrong and install them side ways rarther than length ways.

in dunno T.I.T

This is Thailand

So what else is new ?

It's TIT indeed, not only that a job is badly done, somebody's pockets are filled as well along the way. The situation around the Bophud traffic lights is an outright joke, where ever so few weeks, traffic is held up since the raod needs to be fixed again.

IMHO the person who gets the contract, does use inferior quality materials, thus enhancing the richness of his own pockets.

in dunno T.I.T

This is Thailand

I have recently returned from visiting 4 resort destinations on the Andaman Sea and I'm afraid this is Samui not Thailand.

No-where else are the roads in such a dreadful state

No-where else do they have drain covers in the roads

No-where else do they have to put up with such poor workmanship

No-where else does it flood everytime it rains

Most of the roads are smooth tarmac it is only here that we have this patched up concrete yet no-one is ever held to account draw your own conclusions.

It's TIT indeed, not only that a job is badly done, somebody's pockets are filled as well along the way. The situation around the Bophud traffic lights is an outright joke, where ever so few weeks, traffic is held up since the raod needs to be fixed again.

IMHO the person who gets the contract, does use inferior quality materials, thus enhancing the richness of his own pockets.

Limbos you are right. You just know that within a few weeks the holes will reappear and the whole process will start again.

However, on a lighter note I am constantly impressed with the innovative and diverse methods that are used by caring people to indicate such holes, particularly on the back roads i.e. twigs, chairs. and I have just seen a couple of broken sandals. I did see an old book case a few weeks back.

Wonder if we should hold a competiton for the most unusual "hazard sign"??

But..they are bloody useful and I once avoided an accident thanks to an old chair covering a deep hole in the middle of a large dark puddle.

TIT indeed!

This is my 2nd favorite winge. They managed to take such a simple job and <deleted> it up completely !

My first favorite gripe is Street Lights . We have got lots of them pretty much all the way around Samui.

Why cant some one turn them on ! Cant they find the bl00dy switch ?

Lighting up some of the junctions would IMHO drastically cut down on accidents. Good lighting would give the sober people a chance to get out of the way of the drunk or crazy ones.

However, on a lighter note I am constantly impressed with the innovative and diverse methods that are used by caring people to indicate such holes, particularly on the back roads i.e. twigs, chairs. and I have just seen a couple of broken sandals. I did see an old book case a few weeks back.

Hey Gator, did you check down the hole. Looks like a travelling bookcase seller might have fallen in :o

in dunno T.I.T

This is Thailand

I have recently returned from visiting 4 resort destinations on the Andaman Sea and I'm afraid this is Samui not Thailand.

Most of the roads are smooth tarmac it is only here that we have this patched up concrete yet no-one is ever held to account draw your own conclusions.

About tarmac: Think they don't have the facilities here do work with tarmac in a greater volume.

About draincovers: Be sure that whatever they can do wrong they will do it wrong.

I went to Rangoon, Surathani, Udonthani, Khon Kaen..... everywhere the roads are better than here.

By the way:

Does the new road between Laem Din and Reggae Pub look better - a friend of mine has got the contract!

a few bad and dangerous holes just in the ring road stretch around lamai beach,

usually unmarked. but i know them personally now. so we get on quite well.

but i had a brilliant thought (it's the heat, ok)

moto riders to carry a can of pink flouro spray paint on the bike,

a quick stop and a quick spray all around the hole.

would work in daytime and night-time.

works for golfers and GUR areas.

This is my 2nd favorite winge. They managed to take such a simple job and <deleted> it up completely !

My first favorite gripe is Street Lights . We have got lots of them pretty much all the way around Samui.

Why cant some one turn them on ! Cant they find the bl00dy switch ?

Lighting up some of the junctions would IMHO drastically cut down on accidents. Good lighting would give the sober people a chance to get out of the way of the drunk or crazy ones.

Hey Gator, did you check down the hole. Looks like a travelling bookcase seller might have fallen in :D

Omigawd! I never thought!. Also hope the broken sandals wern't occupied :o

a few bad and dangerous holes just in the ring road stretch around lamai beach,

usually unmarked. but i know them personally now. so we get on quite well.

but i had a brilliant thought (it's the heat, ok)

moto riders to carry a can of pink flouro spray paint on the bike,

a quick stop and a quick spray all around the hole.

would work in daytime and night-time.

works for golfers and GUR areas.

A brilliant idea but may pose a problem in watercovered areas.

This is what i herd. you probably already know but samui is not classed as a province. it is part of surrat thani.

which means that places like bohput,, natong, lamui. are all in the eyes of the govment just small viallages in surrathani.

the road are about 7 or 8 years out of date.

the thing that really annoys me is that had the draines been put in side ways it would have helped some what. the funny thing is that a forang wrote into the news paper and warned them that they were installing them wrong.

i think the thais just laughed him off as if to say what does he know. he is just a forang. yet who is laughing now. probably the one with the cash.

also on the cross road at the junction on the ghost road. there is no lights no lines on the road no nothing.. i missed near curtain death by a second about 2 or 3 years ago. where sudddenly i had gone over a cross roads without even realising.

now i know whee it is but for first time people could be a problem. wonder why it is called ghost road.

something that a simple sign or flashing ligt could sorte out. was even thinking about doiing it myself. still might.

This is what i herd. you probably already know but samui is not classed as a province. it is part of surrat thani.

which means that places like bohput,, natong, lamui. are all in the eyes of the govment just small viallages in surrathani.

the road are about 7 or 8 years out of date.

the thing that really annoys me is that had the draines been put in side ways it would have helped some what. the funny thing is that a forang wrote into the news paper and warned them that they were installing them wrong.

i think the thais just laughed him off as if to say what does he know. he is just a forang. yet who is laughing now. probably the one with the cash.

also on the cross road at the junction on the ghost road. there is no lights no lines on the road no nothing.. i missed near curtain death by a second about 2 or 3 years ago. where sudddenly i had gone over a cross roads without even realising.

now i know whee it is but for first time people could be a problem. wonder why it is called ghost road.

something that a simple sign or flashing ligt could sorte out. was even thinking about doiing it myself. still might.

I'm afraid the Surat Thani province argument is a myth. I recently visited 3 resort detinations that do not have city status i.e. are funded by Krabi or Phangna and their infrastructure is way superior to anything here I think the root of the problems lies somewhere else!

in dunno T.I.T

This is Thailand

About tarmac: Think they don't have the facilities here do work with tarmac in a greater volume.

About draincovers: Be sure that whatever they can do wrong they will do it wrong.

I went to Rangoon, Surathani, Udonthani, Khon Kaen..... everywhere the roads are better than here.

By the way:

Does the new road between Laem Din and Reggae Pub look better - a friend of mine has got the contract!

They can make the facilities for tarmac roads here they choose not to maybe it has something to do with who owns the concrete company? In Koh Lanta some of the roads are tarmac and they are much wider making them much safer for motorbikes and Koh Lanta is funded by Krabi!

Perhaps Krabi is less greedy than Surat? Surat Thani has excellent roads, it is true. It makes one wonder why they cannot then send some of that technology/equipment and money Samui, Phangan and Tao's way too.

Let Mr. SamuiExpress make an interview with the chief of the traffic department.

Thats the responsible guy who told the press last year he didn't know that the drain covers were broken and dangerous. He will answer: Sorry Sir, no have money from Surat!!!!"

wonder why it is called ghost road ?.

Becuase it runs from the hospital to the chineese cemetary.

Been waiting for someone to ask that for ages :o

While we are asking why it is possible to get a tarmac machine over the hills of phuket and around the switch back mountain roads of Koh chang but not on the mostly flat samui, can we also ask why why why cant you turn on the <deleted> street lights ?

wonder why it is called ghost road ?.

Becuase it runs from the hospital to the chineese cemetary.

Been waiting for someone to ask that for ages :o

While we are asking why it is possible to get a tarmac machine over the hills of phuket and around the switch back mountain roads of Koh chang but not on the mostly flat samui, can we also ask why why why cant you turn on the <deleted> street lights ?

No Happ switch,buy Surat.

Let Mr. SamuiExpress make an interview with the chief of the traffic department.

Thats the responsible guy who told the press last year he didn't know that the drain covers were broken and dangerous. He will answer: Sorry Sir, no have money from Surat!!!!"

There has always been a great deal of allegation here on this subject and the lack of street lighting.

I for one would be keen to find out the truth here. If I had an outlet for such an investigative story, I would do it myself.

As you know, in Thailand, things are never what they seem to be and simply calling it corruption might be oversimplifiying things.

Does anyone have any proof of any of these allegations?

it isn't so much corrupt. it is just that it has lesss money than krabi becuase samui is not a provence. it is just one smalll section of surrathani. bascially we get suratthani's change. then filtered throguh the samui governs then into the roads. the drains hole were already paid for. just stupidly installed. thats what really pisses me off. now to fix them it will cost the tax payers more moeny due to complete stupidity.