Visa For Research.

Hi,

I have some questions regarding visa issues. My Swedish company is planning to start a small manufacturing company (plastic and wire products) in Thailand and the company intends to sell 100% on export. I need to spend about 1 year to research and establish contacts before we can decide if Thailand is the right country to start the production in. I also have to travel in and out of Thailand during this period. I will also put 2 million bath on my Thai bank account (SCB) to cover my and my companies expenses during my time in Thailand. I have been in contact with the Thai Embassy Stockholm and asked them if Non Immigrant Visa is right for me to apply for. No - the only visa I could get was a tourist visa 60+30 days that will be possible to changed, in Thailand, to a Non Immigrant Business Visa when the our company is registered. Is this correct?? Is Tourist Visa my only option??

Kind Regards,

Mr. Peter Persson

Sweden

Thank you for the quick answers.

I have tried to get answer to my questions from the Thai Embassy Stockholm for almost one month whiteout any reaction, except referents to their website which does not get me my answer.

I've got the feeling that Thailand does not want us farang to invest in thier country. Is it so?

Greg, you have mail.

Kind Regards,

Peter Persson

Lesson No. 1

Doing Business in Thailand

I've got the feeling that Thailand does not want us farang to invest in thier country. Is it so?

Lesson No. 2

Lesson No. 3

Lesson No. 4

Peter Patong ... Now you are starting business in Thailand, you will have to learn many new lessons about doing business in this part of the world. MOST (or maybe all) of these lessons, they certainly didn't teach you at your local Stockholm Business College or at Goethenburg University

Good luck to you ... and start taking (mostly free) lessons from the "Thai-Visa" Business Community

Dear Peter,

just an alternative suggestion in case you get kind of stuck with the previous advice.

Go for the 60 day tourist visa. It can be switched to a Non-Immigrant B at Immigration on Soi Suan Plu in Bangkok without the need of crossing the border.

When arriving here go straight to BOI (Board of Investment) and introduce your plans and concept in detail trying to get their support. Investing into Thailand by setting up a local production facility with the sole objective of exporting the finished goods is actually what Thailand is aiming at. Make sure your plans are clear, precise and make lots of sense and can be presented this way.

Get BOI support and things become much much easier. It'll be the joker in your sleeve for all your business endeavours here.

Lots of luck,

Richard

Dear Peter,

just an alternative suggestion in case you get kind of stuck with the previous advice.

Go for the 60 day tourist visa. It can be switched to a Non-Immigrant B at Immigration on Soi Suan Plu in Bangkok without the need of crossing the border.

When arriving here go straight to BOI (Board of Investment) and introduce your plans and concept in detail trying to get their support. Investing into Thailand by setting up a local production facility with the sole objective of exporting the finished goods is actually what Thailand is aiming at. Make sure your plans are clear, precise and make lots of sense and can be presented this way.

Get BOI support and things become much much easier. It'll be the joker in your sleeve for all your business endeavours here.

Lots of luck,

Richard

A MULTIPLE B visa acquired outside Thailand is your best option. Were you to do as suggested, it is a single entry NONEXTENDABLE 90 day visa. A B visa requires a work permit to get an extension and you won't be that far along the track that soon

rgd. Peter Patong/sweden:

got similar intentions (100% export) but do not want to decide wheter to establish a company. At least, not until research work is in it's final stage. Means, I do not want to rush "wasting" 2 million bht within the first 6 months of investigation. What kind of Visa options will be best suitable in my case?

(my embassy = austria).

thx!!!

Multiple B visa but sometimes the Consulate will give the "O" visa instead. It doesn't matter as you still can get a work permit later if you decided to form a company. The reason the Consulate will give an "O" visa is the letter of invitation and docs from the Thai company sponsoring you, does not say they will employ you. We do sponsor people from time to time, if in our opinion the person is sincere and is looking to do research.

By the way, when you form a company. If you are the director and will be applying for a work permit. The registered capital must be 2 million Baht. This is on” paper” but does not need to be paid up. You should pay 25% of the shares within 30 days after the company is formed. These funds go into your corporation’s bank account. However if you decided not to do business in Thailand. It will take several years to close the company so we agree it’s better to do your research first. My point though is you don’t waste 2 million Baht by forming the company, its only registered capital. Any working capital stays in your bank account.

www.sunbeltasia.com

Peter you will need a "B"

You have already stated that the company will be putting 2 million baht into the bank for you, so in fact you will be working and you'll need a work permit to do that.

However if the company do not pay you, or you do not claim expenses here in Thailand, then no work permit is needed.

GOOD LUCK

A non immigrant or immigrant visa is what is needed for the work permit. Yes you'll need a work permit regardless if you are getting funds from a company abroad. The Non immigrant can be a "B" visa and should be. But if the Consulate gives you an 'O" visa as their interpretation is the “B” is only for employment and no one is offering you a job, they then give you the "O" ( means other) visa, don't get stressed about it. It’s as good as a "B" visa.

www.sunbeltasia.com

I have worked in Thailand for almost 6 months without any work permit. The Embassy in Stockholm told me last time, I would only need a Tourist Visa if I worked for a Swedish company. You see, Danger missinformation from the authority who should know.

Peter Persson

Sweden

I have worked in Thailand for almost 6 months without any work permit. The Embassy in Stockholm told me last time, I would only need a Tourist Visa if I worked for a Swedish company. You see, Danger missinformation from the authority who should know.

Peter Persson

Sweden

It sounds as though the Thai Embassy in Stockholm is a bit averse to work. Be careful of their advice, and good luck with your venture. The Thailand Board of Investment is well worth a visit. It may be that the BOI can be of considerable assistance to you.