Two men fall into deep well in Pattaya after cover breaks, one killed

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: รักสยาม นิวส์

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Pattaya — Two Thai men fell into an extremely deep well after its cover, on which they were sitting and chatting, broke, killing one 47-year-old man while the other 60-year-old man miraculously survived.

Nongprue Police and Sawang Boriboon Thammasatan emergency responders rushed to a residence on Soi 1 in the Nong Pla Lai subdistrict of Banglamung today, August 20th, to rescue two men who had fallen into a well.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/20/two-men-fall-into-deep-well-in-pattaya-after-cover-breaks-one-killed/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-08-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 4

29 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Before you rush to label people who died stupid, ( mr. compassionate) how do you know it was it a wooden cover? they probably set atop this cover many times before without anything happening, and mind you, almost every old style house in Thailand has it's well or use to before connecting to the mail water supply, so should they have been more careful, sure, but to bad mouth a tragic accident just to show how smart you are?...

Those concrete septic tank and well covers can really vary in thickness. It's a trade off between bearing weight versus making the lid too unwieldy to open when needed.

If these guys were just sitting on the edge of the lid with their legs hanging over the ground and they tipped backwards into the well when the lid suddenly cracked under their combined weight, that's not something that most people would necessarily anticipate happening.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

Back in 1980, I went into an outhouse at the Ban Vinai refugee camp in Loei.  The cement floor broke and I landed on my rear end with my legs dangling in the hole. Fortunately  it wasn't full.  The floor was some bamboo strips with a few cm of cement slathered on top.