Is this a good growlight?

mixed

I'm looking for a growlight, mainly for veg, but possibly flowering. I won't be running air con, so I want it cool as possible. I'm considering this model and would appreciate other opinions.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mars-hydro-fc-e-3000-led-grow-light-full-spectrum-chip-bridgelux-meanwell-driver-hydroponic-commercial-greenhouse-grow-3x3ft-4x4ft-300-watt-4bars-fce-3000-i2498918192.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.50.3581727bVovQPP

Hi Mixed,

When you say mainly for veg - do you mean it's for mother plants only?

The Mars Hydro grow lights have a decent amount of blue in them compared to other grow lights, but if you are looking for veg only then vertical lamp metal halide lamps still provides better results (but you can't flower with them, obviously).

IMG_20220821_192407.thumb.jpg.961c895e3b9984b97bfbcd86b95af6b6.jpg

These are a 400W Phillips Metal Halide with 80cm parabolic and there are two 85w full spectrum LEDs on the side walls adding spectrum, so around 530w in total.

I will change the reflector over to 100cm when it arrives and that will allow for 9 plants under it that will look like that - I don't think there are any "Full Spectrum" LED's on the market that will give you this kind of vegative growth.

If you have your heart set on LED then that light will do veg as good as any, but you may want to add more blue with some LED bars such as this one:

https://masakigarden.com/shop/led-tube-2f-15w-set/

A combination of the Mars FC-E lights and added blue via the LED bars on the sides should give you a pretty decent veg light.

No Aircon no problem, but you will absolutely need a good extractor fan in that case.

Hope that helps - cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks Tomster, that's very helpful. I am looking at moving outdoors for flowering once the rain stops (all tropical strains). I have a decent amount of land. Currently I've borrowed one from a mate and the sprouts are doing OK. Outdoors is harsh, especially with the unpredictable whether. I'd use it for seeds, clones and maybe some mothers. Nothing firmed planned as yet, I will see where it takes me. I enjoy gardening, hydro and aquaponics.

Edited by mixed
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I swear by Mars Hydro kit, it always performs. 

I run a FC-E8000 in my 5x5 tent and it is awesome. Cannot be run at full power without additional COthough.

What driver does your light have?

On 8/22/2022 at 10:38 AM, tomster said:

The Mars Hydro grow lights have a decent amount of blue in them compared to other grow lights, but if you are looking for veg only then vertical lamp metal halide lamps still provides better results (but you can't flower with them, obviously).

IMG_20220821_192407.thumb.jpg.961c895e3b9984b97bfbcd86b95af6b6.jpg

These are a 400W Phillips Metal Halide with 80cm parabolic and there are two 85w full spectrum LEDs on the side walls adding spectrum, so around 530w in total.

Tomster, those are beautiful looking. How many plants are there? You don't need to have them in a tent or with reflective sides? And when you say that there are two 85w full spectrum LEDs on the side walls, do you mean that the LEDs are mounted up inside the parabolic? Thanks for all your great info!

6 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

Tomster, those are beautiful looking. How many plants are there? You don't need to have them in a tent or with reflective sides? And when you say that there are two 85w full spectrum LEDs on the side walls, do you mean that the LEDs are mounted up inside the parabolic? Thanks for all your great info!

Bobsuruncle,

Sorry for the late reply, I will post pictures tomorrow when I am back at the house.

Cheers.

20 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

Hi Mate,

In the photo I posted there were just 5 plants, now down to 4 as one of the plants was not producing desirable cuttings.

The reflector is a 80cm Parabolic (vertical lamp) with 400w Phillips Metal Halide Master HPI-T lamp.

I have now changed that to a 100cm Parabolic and the 80cm will be used a growing on light for cuttings that have just rooted before they go into their big pots.

On the side walls I have 2 of these:

IMG_20220825_095433.thumb.jpg.7a38ee5c7864ca90d166db3993284992.jpg

The combination of the metal halide, which is basically pure blue, with some of the full spectrum from the LED's on the side walls produces an excellent spectrum for vegging plants - sure you could make a LED that would probably do just as well but generally the manufacturers don't as they want their lights to do both veg and flowering.

Also the vertical lamp makes the plant reach up for the light which is perfect for mother plants.

Grow tents are awesome inventions - I have sold thousands in the UK and used a fair few myself but for precise environmental control full room growing is in my opinion easier to control.

I will get around to putting some Mylar up but in reality it won't make much difference for me so it's not high on the list of to-do jobs. ????

Cheers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomster said:

Hi Mate,

In the photo I posted there were just 5 plants, now down to 4 as one of the plants was not producing desirable cuttings.

The reflector is a 80cm Parabolic (vertical lamp) with 400w Phillips Metal Halide Master HPI-T lamp.

I have now changed that to a 100cm Parabolic and the 80cm will be used a growing on light for cuttings that have just rooted before they go into their big pots.

On the side walls I have 2 of these:

IMG_20220825_095433.thumb.jpg.7a38ee5c7864ca90d166db3993284992.jpg

The combination of the metal halide, which is basically pure blue, with some of the full spectrum from the LED's on the side walls produces an excellent spectrum for vegging plants - sure you could make a LED that would probably do just as well but generally the manufacturers don't as they want their lights to do both veg and flowering.

Also the vertical lamp makes the plant reach up for the light which is perfect for mother plants.

Grow tents are awesome inventions - I have sold thousands in the UK and used a fair few myself but for precise environmental control full room growing is in my opinion easier to control.

I will get around to putting some Mylar up but in reality it won't make much difference for me so it's not high on the list of to-do jobs. ????

Cheers.

Tomster, what is your opinion of using the tube style LEDs for sprouts and cuttings? I've used the fluros a long time ago and was happy. I have bought the Mars light and will give feedback. Overall I'm very impressed with how cool the LEDs run.

https://www.icmag.com/attachments/222_0117-jpg.18747303/

8 minutes ago, mixed said:

Tomster, what is your opinion of using the tube style LEDs for sprouts and cuttings? I've used the fluros a long time ago and was happy. I have bought the Mars light and will give feedback. Overall I'm very impressed with how cool the LEDs run.

https://www.icmag.com/attachments/222_0117-jpg.18747303/

That is a very good question. I also used Fluro's for propagation but am now testing the blue/cloning spectrum LED tubes.

I have one of each of these in place:

https://masakigarden.com/shop/led-tube-2f-15w-set/

So far so good but very low powered - I need a bit more time to pass any judgement on them.

I have just ordered one of these:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2518140955-s8939646926.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

Should be here tomorrow.

I have also ordered 10 of these for testing as the spectrum looks the best of all of the LED tubes:

https://www.ledinpro.com/products/productdetailinfo/44

(I have the FS Clone spectrum version coming - will be here in about 3 weeks)

The first thing that strikes me is they seem to be low powered in use. They seem to mostly come in 60cm or 120cm - these are about 9-18 watts.

So they are very interesting but I worry that you will need a load of them to do any meaningful propagation that will produce growth - but likely that growth will be very good.

However, they seem to be pretty durable and IP66 so I thing they could be a great way of adding some much needed blue spectrum to the powerful LED lights that are marketed as being "Full Spectrum" (many of these are really lacking blue spectrum for strong veg growth) - they could be cable tied to the down poles in grow tents for example.

They may also work well over very young seedlings and quite possibly over the top of a propagator with freshly taken cuttings.

A few possibilities, I will test them fully in the coming weeks.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

• Like 1