New Ranger vs Yaris

I know these two vehicles are on completely different ends of the spectrum. However, because of the tax laws or something, they are similarly priced here. 

Ranger seems more suited for Thai roads, higher seat positioning for visibility. And apparently they’ve improved their ride quality.

And they’ve got a decent amount of tech, even in the lower trims, but nowhere near the Yaris top spec unless you spend 1.1m

But harder to park in the city. And I really don’t need the bed. And we’d be comparing a two door manual in this price range. 

The new top spec Yaris looks incredible on the interior, and has all the modern tech features. And the ride quality probably isn’t that great being an ecobox anyways. 

It definitely depends on the lifestyle, but which would you go for for 700k?

It seems like for the mountainous rocky roads of Thailand, the Ranger  will have more useful features. 

I don’t really need to upgrade (mazda2 sky), but I do think about a truck sometimes for fun. 

Really depends on your lifestyle, family size....where you live. When I first came here was living in a fairly remote village...pot holed dirt roads. I bought an Isuzu 4WD for around 700k and as you say about the same price as a small car. Was a no brainer for me. I was amused at the attitude of the locals why you not buy sport car (Small ladies car) and seemed to be a source of shame for my GF. Pick ups are farmers / lo so vehicles lol. I come from Australia and similar vehicle a lot more expensive than a small Toyota / Mazda. If you saw the roads where I was living having a small car like that would be ludicrous. Anyway I bought an Isuzu Vcross 4WD. Poverty pack manual but I like simple cars. Word to the wise though if you have any intention of letting your wife drive and maybe you teaching her buy an auto. using a clutch, accelerator and gear shift just too much going on at once for most Thais. I am sure they would eventually learn but would be a learning curve of several accidents I would imagine...

Anyway, I have never been sorry for my purchase and we live in the city now. Even though it is a pick up the ride and seating etc very comfortable. Plenty of power and acceleration and never feels like you are driving a work truck or anything. High seating position, roomy inside and I have no issues parking. Only thing would be a big factor would be the mileage you are doing with the price of Diesel / Gasolene. I dont use the tray much but when you need it, great to have it. You could always put a lockable pop up cover on it or a fiberglass canopy make the area more useful.