buying a new car

no deal

I am looking to buy a new car and the dealer told me i can get delivery in december,and that car is going to be a 2022 year model,but starting on  january the factory build 2023 model but the dealer told me even if i order in januay i still get a 2022 model, because they have to many car in stock,i was car dealer in America and when we get the news cars model the old one in stock are sold whit a good discount,but in thailand they want sale the old car for the  price of a new car ,also when you buy the right car model you get all the news update,so any one can told me how to get a 2023 model if i order today or in january,thank you.

two years ago i buy a bmw ad told the dealer i  don't want a old model i want the year model and when the car arrived i check the vin and it was a old new car so i refused to take delivry finaly i take delivry whit a 70.000 tb discount because we all ready sale are car and we have nothing to drive!.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, no deal said:

the dealer told me even if i order in januay i still get a 2022 model, because they have to many car in stock,i

Don't take the word from this dealer .

Tell him that you order a 2023 new car Nothing else .

If the dealer doesn't like that or won't order you a 2023 model, Than go somewhere else ,if that doesn't work go buy something different but a 2023 model from another dealer.

• Like 2

I read you sold your car already and have nothing to drive. even a fast delivery will thus not help.

my advice: buy a 2nd hand that last till about mid 2023 and wait till the 2022 models are sold out before ordering a 2023 model. or chose another make with more regular sales.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ardsong said:

I read you sold your car already and have nothing to drive. even a fast delivery will thus not help.

my advice: buy a 2nd hand that last till about mid 2023 and wait till the 2022 models are sold out before ordering a 2023 model. or chose another make with more regular sales.

I think he was talking about his experience 2 years ago when he wrote he already sold the car and had to take the older model car for a very nice discount:

two years ago i buy a bmw ad told the dealer i  don't want a old model i want the year model and when the car arrived i check the vin and it was a old new car so i refused to take delivry finaly i take delivry whit a 70.000 tb discount because we all ready sale are car and we have nothing to drive!.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

Don't take the word from this dealer .

Tell him that you order a 2023 new car Nothing else .

If the dealer doesn't like that or won't order you a 2023 model, Than go somewhere else ,if that doesn't work go buy something different but a 2023 model from another dealer.

Right, and they agree of course.
But these days they get a deposit then surprise you on pick up day. ????

And then what will you do ?!!! ????????????
In the US buyers are protected by law, in Thailand it is the other way. 
Anyway I don't buy the op story. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

I paid a deposit on a new honda 125 yesterday at the local dealer.  I was told it would be around 5 months before it arrived.  That is early 2023.  I asked the girl what happens if there is a change of model in the interim.  She told me she did not know.  She went and spoke with the manager and he did not know either.  The showrooms that I have visited that have a 125 in stock all want 65K for it.  The correct price is 56K450 which is what I will be paying for the one that I have paid a deposit on.

17 minutes ago, The Theory said:

How much deposit for that price tag ? 

1000 baht which is standard.

Rather than being exorted for 65K which is 10K over the correct dealer price, I plan on buying a 10-15K older honda in the interim.  Then when the new bike arrives I will just sell it for 7-8 thousand.  Or give it to one of the poorer Thais in my village.

For me that is a much better solution and it avoid the extortion.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, no deal said:

but starting on  january the factory build 2023 model but the dealer told me even if i order in januay i still get a 2022 model, because they have to many car in stock

If they have too many in stock why would you have to wait at all?

Basically you are going to get what you order.  If you want the newer model you will have to wait until they start taking orders for it.

Edited by rwill

Go to the manufacturers website or facebook page and send them a message about the new model year and when you can order it.

Lots of years the changes are mainly cosmetic.  Some years there will be major upgrades.

What sort of car is it ?

If its a standard run of the mill car, toyota, honda etc...  then its not really a big deal, you just get what you get when you can... 

IF you are not bothered about which car you get... i.e. it could be a CRV vs Mazda CX-5... or Accord vs Camry, or Jazz vs Yaris, or 5 Series vs E Class etc then go with whichever suits your timing the best.

OR... are you worried about re-sale in 5 years time? in which case I’d be more concerned about the resale of the ‘brand / model’ itself (in which case Toyota / Merc are the conventionally the better options for a better resale value).

I agree with the OP.  With the high prices they charge for cars in Thailand we should be assured we are getting the newest model with the newest model year date.   Even with a carryover model, you don't want to be driving a new car off the lot that is already considered to be a year old according to the paperwork.  When you go to resell it, buyers aren't going to make the distinction with the inventory business and buying a car in December 2022 vs. January 2023.  They're just going to ask what model year it is.  

If you were being given a big discount, as they do in the US with leftover models, that could make a difference.  But, as the OP said, they don't.  I remember years ago my partner and I went into a new car dealer in Pattaya.  They had 2 of the same model car on the showroom floor side by side.  One was the old model, the other was the new, restyled version that looked radically different--and much better.  Same price for both--the salesperson seemed shocked when I suggested the old model should get a discount since it looked so dated in comparison.  

I think on that same visit I got into trouble by wandering onto the back lot where they had the new cars parked.  Foolish me, I wanted to see what the model we were interested in looked like in different colors--not that there were many colors to chose from.  Partner yelled at me--you're not suppose to be back here!  In the US, it's common--and fun--to go through the lot looking at all the new models.  And, don't get me started on test drives--clearly frowned upon here.  Actually, I don't think they like you sitting in the car.  Much better if you stand at a respectful distance.  I'm in full agreement with In Full Agreement, who just posted that he did not enjoy buying a car in Thailand.

3 hours ago, newnative said:

I agree with the OP.  With the high prices they charge for cars in Thailand we should be assured we are getting the newest model with the newest model year date.   Even with a carryover model, you don't want to be driving a new car off the lot that is already considered to be a year old according to the paperwork.  When you go to resell it, buyers aren't going to make the distinction with the inventory business and buying a car in December 2022 vs. January 2023.  They're just going to ask what model year it is.  

If you were being given a big discount, as they do in the US with leftover models, that could make a difference.  But, as the OP said, they don't.  I remember years ago my partner and I went into a new car dealer in Pattaya.  They had 2 of the same model car on the showroom floor side by side.  One was the old model, the other was the new, restyled version that looked radically different--and much better.  Same price for both--the salesperson seemed shocked when I suggested the old model should get a discount since it looked so dated in comparison.  

I think on that same visit I got into trouble by wandering onto the back lot where they had the new cars parked.  Foolish me, I wanted to see what the model we were interested in looked like in different colors--not that there were many colors to chose from.  Partner yelled at me--you're not suppose to be back here!  In the US, it's common--and fun--to go through the lot looking at all the new models.  And, don't get me started on test drives--clearly frowned upon here.  Actually, I don't think they like you sitting in the car.  Much better if you stand at a respectful distance.  I'm in full agreement with In Full Agreement, who just posted that he did not enjoy buying a car in Thailand.

Some Brands here have already launched their new 2023 models and they will remain 2023 models till sometime next year until there is an annoucment of a minor change upgrade.

In March of next year depending on what you looking for if your looking at a vehicle with a price tag of 1-200,000 baht you can get a discount of up to 300,000 of a model 2023 vehicle that was built in the last months of 2022.

Will you get these discounts by walking into a showroom highly unlikely

most of these discounts can be found by visiting facebook group pages for the brand and model that your interested in.

When ordering your car and placing a deposit if you have special requirements i.e not older than 90 days or only want a 2023 model or you want a 2023 model with a build date of 2023 put it in writing on the order form if the salesperson declines they will normally agree once you advised them your off to another dealership if they don't

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

I understand where you are coming from. The 2024 won't be out until March or April after the motor show in March if your lucky.  

Depend on the brand normally there is a delay of between 4-5 months before the start producing the new model similar timeframe applies to the December Motor show